SL owner thinking of upgrading to SL2

Big John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, BernardC said:

Except that it does not work well with the M or ZM lenses mentioned in the original question.

I guess he could buy new lenses, but then the cost difference goes in the other direction, and he specifically mentioned that he appreciates the size of M-mount lenses.

My recommendation: get the SL2. Don't worry about file size. Files are bigger, but SD cards are now much faster, and disk storage is cheaper.

yeah like Sonoma Bear I've only heard some issues with wider angle lenses but most reviewers are very happy, this guy tested a wide angle on the S1R and its pretty good 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Big John said:

Had the SL for a few years - really happy with it, great IQ. Don’t like the size and weight so tend to use it with ZEISS ZM lenses. 

Thinking of switching to SL2..

Attractions for me:

1. IBIS for using M (or ZM) lenses.

2. Improved EVF. 

3. Larger, higher res rear panel. 

4  Quick view menu.

5. Grip and restyling of body. 

If you are going to use SL2 with M/ ZM or other manual lenses one of greatest things introduced with SL2 is that the position of the (zoomed) focus point is preserved between different
shots and not reset to the middle of the frame!
I was waiting for that feature to be implemented on SL for years, but sadly it never happened.

• Like 1

The SL2 is a nice upgrade overall. I traded my SL & S 007 and just got 2 SL2s. The dynamic range is great. You will need to get used to the new layout in the menu but that in a minor issue. They made it better for sure, 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 1:58 AM, Big John said:

So.....thinking I could shoot at Medium resolution setting (which is 24mp) and also use TL lenses (to manage the size and weight concern) to get 20mp files.  I would use 47mp when the image demands it - so 24 as a go to size (street, family etc) and 47 for specific occasions (landscapes etc).  I know that concerns on high ISO won’t be addressed by shooting at lower res (due to  pixel density). 

Anyone else thinking like this?  Thanks. 

Not withstanding , the FF format options ,

wouldn't be better to use Tl lens on a CL and get APSC with 24 Mpx and lighter body and lens overall. 

The TL lenses have no built in stabilizer. In case you use it with the SL 2 you lose some resolution - but you win stabilisation. For me second one advantage is much more important than the loss of resolution. It enables me either to use much lower ISOs or often  to take a photo in low light conditions without using a tripod.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Big John said:

Had the SL for a few years - really happy with it, great IQ. Don’t like the size and weight so tend to use it with ZEISS ZM lenses. 

Thinking of switching to SL2..

Attractions for me:

1. IBIS for using M (or ZM) lenses.

2. Improved EVF. 

3. Larger, higher res rear panel. 

4  Quick view menu.

5. Grip and restyling of body. 

Things putting me off - only 1:

1. I don’t need 47mp. 

So.....thinking I could shoot at Medium resolution setting (which is 24mp) and also use TL lenses (to manage the size and weight concern) to get 20mp files.  I would use 47mp when the image demands it - so 24 as a go to size (street, family etc) and 47 for specific occasions (landscapes etc).  I know that concerns on high ISO won’t be addressed by shooting at lower res (due to  pixel density). 

Anyone else thinking like this?  Thanks. 

So, handled an SL2 today. It had an SL lens mounted so couldn’t check IBIS, but did notice that the EVF was noticeably sharper, liked the rear LCD and quick menu and the grip felt good too.  So all good with my list of ‘attractions’.  I may be wrong but the overall finish seemed a bit more tactile than my super smooth SL finish.  

Still weighing up pros and cons.  Or whether to invest in M lenses.

Edited by Big John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Big John said:

So, handled an SL2 today. It had an SL lens mounted so couldn’t check IBIS, but did notice that the EVF was noticeably sharper, liked the rear LCD and quick menu and the grip felt good too.  So all good with my list of ‘attractions’.  I may be wrong but the overall finish seemed a bit more tactile than my super smooth SL finish.  

Still weighing up pros and cons.  Or whether to invest in M lenses.

Unless you're already sitting on a pile of M lenses (which many of us are),  I can't really see why one would purchase M lenses to use on the SL2, YMMV. Like several other users here, I prefer M lenses on my M cameras and L mount lenses on the SL & SL2. That's of course each individual's choice.

Depending on which M lenses you're thinking of purchasing, generally at the high end and for approx. the same amount of $ you can pick up a new or used SL lenses. You get IBIS and AF, if that's what you're looking for.

There's also a wide range of excellent, less expensive Sigma and Panasonic L mount lenses available to you as well.