Big John

SL owner thinking of upgrading to SL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had the SL for a few years - really happy with it, great IQ. Don’t like the size and weight so tend to use it with ZEISS ZM lenses. 

Thinking of switching to SL2..

Attractions for me:

1. IBIS for using M (or ZM) lenses.

2. Improved EVF. 

3. Larger, higher res rear panel. 

4  Quick view menu.

5. Grip and restyling of body. 

Things putting me off - only 1:

1. I don’t need 47mp. 

So.....thinking I could shoot at Medium resolution setting (which is 24mp) and also use TL lenses (to manage the size and weight concern) to get 20mp files.  I would use 47mp when the image demands it - so 24 as a go to size (street, family etc) and 47 for specific occasions (landscapes etc).  I know that concerns on high ISO won’t be addressed by shooting at lower res (due to  pixel density). 

Anyone else thinking like this?  Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Just curious - why would you care more about rear display resolution than the actual photo res? 🤔

Care about both!

If you are fine with 24MP I think the main thing you gain is IBIS. Viewfinder is better but not such big difference. Quick menue...nice but not big deal IMO.

13 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

If you are fine with 24MP I think the main thing you gain is IBIS. Viewfinder is better but not such big difference. Quick menue...nice but not big deal IMO.

I know I can manage shake with higher shutter speeds, but I like the steady view of ibis. 

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

Yeah, I was wondering how better the EVF could be. I own SL, and I tried SL2 in the store for a couple minutes, and I didn't noticed any difference in the EVF, so it's probably not a huge improvement.

My biggest advantage is IBIS for video and audio jack, so I don't have to carry that stupid heavy Leica dongle.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IBIS is a game changer, but if funds were limited I’d get more bang for buck from SL glass. 

IBIS is important for most uses. A medium resolution does not exist (24 Mp only in jpgs, not in raw). But you can switch to APS-C mode, then your lens is 50% “longer” and the resolution is 20 Mp. Generally the SL2 is much faster - AF and everything.

First I thought the difference is small, but now I cannot go on without IBIS anymore. It’s simply a nice safety belt. The EVF is better, but it’s not visible (you get used to it).

Edited by caissa

I'm actually thinking of adding a second SL body rather than upgrading to SL2. Print quality and size at 240 ppi (16 x 24) from the SL is plenty large. Sure, the SL2 would let you print the same image size at 360 ppi, but you won't see the difference. I would love to see an SL2 at 24 MP with IBIS, shame they did not offer the choice a la Panasonic.

I upgraded. I would say the the EVF is a side grade at best. It does have better colour, contrast and brightness but it is smaller than the SL. It feels like you are looking at a small TV.

Being able to turn off the dark frame on long exposures is a great feature. The video features are far better but suffer from heavy aliasing and therefore is only really useable in APS-C mode. IBIS is great especially for video as it eliminates micro-shakes .

The files sizes are very big. My camera crashes on image and video playback which can only be fixed if I take out the battery. I suspect I need to buy an even faster UHS-II card.

I haven't tested the AF as I only have manual M lenses. 

It very much feels like a beta project, i’m not sure I will keep it for the long run as I don't feel it justifies its price.

Edited by sebben

9 hours ago, jrp said:

IBIS is a game changer, but if funds were limited I’d get more bang for buck from SL glass. 

SL lenses are too big and heavy for what I need. My single 24-90 does enough for when I want autofocus. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, sebben said:

I upgraded. I would say the the EVF is a side grade at best. It does have better colour, contrast and brightness but it is smaller than the SL. It feels like you are looking at a small TV.

Being able to turn off the dark frame on long exposures is a great feature. The video features are far better but suffer from heavy aliasing and therefore is only really useable in APS-C mode. IBIS is great especially for video as it eliminates micro-shakes .

The files sizes are very big. My camera crashes on image and video playback which can only be fixed if I take out the battery. I suspect I need to buy an even faster UHS-II card.

I haven't tested the AF as I only have manual M lenses. 

It very much feels like a beta project, i’m not sure I will keep it for the long run as I don't feel it justifies its price.

Interesting feedback, thank you. Hadn’t clocked the EVF size was different. File size is something that concerns me too. 

4 hours ago, Big John said:

Interesting feedback, thank you. Hadn’t clocked the EVF size was different. File size is something that concerns me too. 

I have no experience with SL2, but own the SL. If I read your reasons, I’d say be carefull what you wish for. Apart from the fact that I find 24Mp more than enough on a surface of 24x36, I’m sure I would have to upgrade my iMac etc. considerably and then I’m still not sure whether my beloved CaptureOne will have an acceptable speed. 

I upgraded to the SL2 for 2 reasons; 1) IBIS - enhanced my use of M-, R-, TL- lenses; and 2) LENR.   I've also been positively surprised by the grip change, its a definite benefit when shooting for a few hours

I use a 2010 Mac Pro desktop, with basic upgrades, and it handles SL2 files without a problem.  I could have been happy with 24MP, but found the second version better for my requirements, notably with IBIS, improved weather sealing (IP54), better ergonomics, and EVF contrast improvement.  I also think that the control interface changes make for more seamless transition when using my Ms. 

Jeff

19 hours ago, Big John said:

Had the SL for a few years - really happy with it, great IQ. Don’t like the size and weight so tend to use it with ZEISS ZM lenses. 

Attractions for me:

2. Improved EVF. 

4  Quick view menu.

1. I don’t need 47mp. 

So.....thinking I could shoot at Medium resolution setting (which is 24mp) and also use TL lenses (to manage the size and weight concern) to get 20mp files.  I would use 47mp when the image demands it - so 24 as a go to size (street, family etc) and 47 for specific occasions (landscapes etc).  I know that concerns on high ISO won’t be addressed by shooting at lower res (due to  pixel density). 

I want to say none of your wants are relevant to the enjoy of your photography. If they come as free, fine. But paying to switch to SL2? Think it twice.  ... no, do not think about it.

21 hours ago, Big John said:

Attractions for me:

2. Improved EVF. 

4  Quick view menu.

1. I don’t need 47mp. 

reason to upgrade:

EVF is better for manual critical focus, I got it so I can usr the 50mm 0.95, I can now focus without zooming in all the time. The SL was good, but shooting at night the blacks lost contrast and had blue tint.

IBIS is not only for long exposes. It is much easier to focus and compose with manual lenses when you zoom in.

Dynamic Range is better in the SL2 , It is still not as good as others, but improved.
I wish for Firmware update is to get control in camera over Highlight and shadows compensation. Some time highlights in JPEG blow out way too early, the Raw files have more info. Some days in perfect controlled situations I like to shoot JPEG's + Raw, but the need to underexpose make it unusable.. 

Buffer is faster in SL2

Real LCD is nice, for some reason it is useless to shoot video if you can not use many or the functions like zoom to check focus when shooting.. Low angle shooting is impossible, not so much for missing tilt screen, but the view finder covers top area of the screen..

SL2 , has a real battery problem. I am running into limitations so many time in the last few weeks. Shooting stills and video on full and half battery is interrupted by warning messages , firmware need to address this.

USB-C charging while shooting works, but it is a pain to find the right combination of cable and power bank , It has to be plugged in on camera off and then power camera to shoot . Otherwise it does not charge...

all together it is a tool, like any others it has good sides and limitations.
to mee the grip is still not all there..

3 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Lumix S1 has everything the SL2 has but at 24MP and 1/5 the price

Except that it does not work well with the M or ZM lenses mentioned in the original question.

I guess he could buy new lenses, but then the cost difference goes in the other direction, and he specifically mentioned that he appreciates the size of M-mount lenses.

My recommendation: get the SL2. Don't worry about file size. Files are bigger, but SD cards are now much faster, and disk storage is cheaper.

17 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Except that it does not work well with the M or ZM lenses mentioned in the original question.

I find that the S1 works very well with M lenses - if you set the focal length when prompted.  Even when using the Leica adapter since the S1 does not "read" the Leica M adapter like the SL can.  IBIS (s1 or SL2) versus EXIF: IBIS wins!

But that said, I still prefer using the SL with my M lenses - simplicity when creating means more concentration on image, less on camera.

The S1 is the only answer for my Canon lenses but that population is slowly shrinking as more Leica/Sigma/Panasonic lenses are acquired.