SL2 firmware update request

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got the SL2 the same day the Q2 FW update was released. The potential of continuing to unify some things for seamless shooting between the systems would be great. Some features:

- Aperture Preview on Shutter press like on Q2

- Option to separate EV steps across parameters. i.e. 1/3 steps for Exposure Compensation but 1/2 or even 1-stop steps for Shutter Speed or Aperture. When I assign the front wheel to Shutter Speed it would be great to have it behave the same as Q2 (1 stop per click) while still being able to tune Exposure Compensation by 1/3 steps. 

- More customization of buttons when in playback mode. 

- Add exposure compensation setting to top screen. 

Edited by rogtrik
  • Like 1

Problem: Manual override of focus via lens focus ring does not function in AF modes

Request: If possible implement full time manual override in all focus modes as is done with the S cameras and lenses.

Comment: The focus action of my APO 35 Summicron SL is very stiff in comparison to my S lenses. It may be that the new focus mechanism will not allow this?

2 hours ago, hoppyman said:

Comment: The focus action of my APO 35 Summicron SL is very stiff in comparison to my S lenses. It may be that the new focus mechanism will not allow this?

There has been discussion regarding tight focus action across the SL Summicron range for many here.  My SL 75 is much tighter than my 2 longer SL zooms, which focus very smoothly.

Jeff

I would like to be able to assign "Play" to one of the Fn buttons, like to one of the front buttons, so I don't always have to let go of the lens and reach to the back of the camera to push the "real" play button. This shouldnt be a big problem, right? Just add it to the list of assignable functions ..

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone else find the focus peaking is temperamental? I activate it, take a photo and then it seems to stop working even though the camera is still set to show peaking. It will then come on itself at some point.

If it’s a bug please can Leica fix it with future firmware??!

• Like 1

Others have already described that for adapted lenses it would be useful to have another possibility than just selecting from existing M or R lenses (mainly to enable IBIS, but also regarding image corrections, e.g. avoiding overcorrection). I would like to be able to select a generic lens of a certain focal length and then customize it by specifying the amount of distortion correction, vignette correction or other corrections.

To give an example how to do it: Fuji has now an M mount adapter (with electronics). It automatically puts the camera into the right mode (for these foreign lenses). And inside the camera in a menu the focal length can be selected (important for ibis) and the amount of image corrections can be selected (distortion, vignetting). I would like to see a similar option in the menus of the SL/SL2. Not for the M and R lenses, but for generic lenses. 

I hope this description is clear enough. If not I would like to send more details, e.g. think of zoom lenses (how set focal length for ibis).

Here a link that you easily find more details what I am referring to. https://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/mount/fujifilm_m_mount_adapter/index.html

In a way they specify which M lenses are compatible, but that is not the idea of my request. I would like to be able to select generic settings. (For example for adapting long tele lenses not found in the R range.) Eg.Panasonic allows entering a focal length for IBIS.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2

For me it would be the following...

1) EFCS.  It needs it.  My SL didn’t, but the resolution has jumped substantially.  Shooting my 90-280 at 1/125s at any focal length consistently shows less sharp results hand held with mechanical or hybrid shutter setting than it does on electronic shutter.  It’s not a Panasonic 70-200 issue (or at least not exclusively limited to that lens).

2) Setting to allow me to set rotation angle for manual focus on focus-by-wire lenses.  This would be really handy.

3) The camera should be able to get GPS from my phone via Bluetooth without my having to release the shutter via Fotos.  

4) While we are on the subject of Fotos... I want to be able to focus manually using Fotos. Not forced to use AF.  

As  I spend more time with the SL2 I’m sure I’ll come up with more, but these are the ones that affected me in the first week of use.

When I want to assign "toggle info profiles" to a Fn-button other than the default (I wanted lower front button), it doesn't toggle in playback mode, only in camera mode. To toggle in playback mode, I can only use the default Fn-button (the one under the play button).

• 2 weeks later...

- auto-iso should start at 50, as the SL1, not 100.  

- speed is to high (2xf) with my 24-90mm (with OIS and IBIS, the speed could be 10 stops slower...). Why no adjustment as the SL1 ?

- auto-iso not working with the Noctilux (stuck at iso100).

On 3/2/2020 at 5:00 AM, Jared said:

For me it would be the following...

1) EFCS.  It needs it.  My SL didn’t, but the resolution has jumped substantially.  Shooting my 90-280 at 1/125s at any focal length consistently shows less sharp results hand held with mechanical or hybrid shutter setting than it does on electronic shutter.  It’s not a Panasonic 70-200 issue (or at least not exclusively limited to that lens).

2) Setting to allow me to set rotation angle for manual focus on focus-by-wire lenses.  This would be really handy.

3) The camera should be able to get GPS from my phone via Bluetooth without my having to release the shutter via Fotos.  

4) While we are on the subject of Fotos... I want to be able to focus manually using Fotos. Not forced to use AF.  

As  I spend more time with the SL2 I’m sure I’ll come up with more, but these are the ones that affected me in the first week of use.

2 and 3 have been promised.    3 should be doable, since Panasonic does it on the S1/S1R

4  I would be nervous to focus manually using Fotos, since on my phones and pads, touch sensitivity is not very smooth when I drag.

and what happened to the multishot hi-res mode, also promised?  I saw a recent application of it that intrigued me -- copying negatives at a better resolution and quality than a drum scanner and with no contact.  Olympus, who introduced this technology had two versions.  One was a raw file with 4X the original number of pixels as virtual pixels," and a jpeg version with about 3X the original pixel count.  From playing around with the S1R, I found that the simplest versions of the pixel-based transforms have artifacts at sharp edges.  I would suspect that a jpeg version, which has the advantage of working in spatial frequency space where filtering is easier, would control those artifacts, so maybe Leica will offer both.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

33 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

2 and 3 have been promised.    3 should be doable, since Panasonic does it on the S1/S1R

4  I would be nervous to focus manually using Fotos, since on my phones and pads, touch sensitivity is not very smooth when I drag.

and what happened to the multishot hi-res mode, also promised?  I saw a recent application of it that intrigued me -- copying negatives at a better resolution and quality than a drum scanner and with no contact.  Olympus, who introduced this technology had two versions.  One was a raw file with 4X the original number of pixels as virtual pixels," and a jpeg version with about 3X the original pixel count.  From playing around with the S1R, I found that the simplest versions of the pixel-based transforms have artifacts at sharp edges.  I would suspect that a jpeg version, which has the advantage of working in spatial frequency space where filtering is easier, would control those artifacts, so maybe Leica will offer both.

I hadn’t thought of scanning film.  That’s the first potentially useful application I have heard of for multi-shot high res mode.

One more I’ll add to my list that was brought up in another thread... More flexibility in setting auto ISO.  If you rate IBIS at, say, four stops of improvement, I’d like to be able to set it to, say, “8/f” rather than the default of “1/2f”.  Not a huge deal since I can achieve the same result just by putting the camera in manual and set an “8/f” value manually for the particular focal length, but it would be handy for zooms.

For example, with my 50mm lens, auto ISO right now starts to bump the ISO at 1/125s or so (1/2f).  But IBIS should allow me to get to ⅛” or so (8/f) as long as my subject is static—that’s four stops of improvement approximately.  

4 hours ago, alexzz said:

- auto-iso should start at 50, as the SL1, not 100.  

- speed is to high (2xf) with my 24-90mm (with OIS and IBIS, the speed could be 10 stops slower...). Why no adjustment as the SL1 ?

- auto-iso not working with the Noctilux (stuck at iso100).

- auto-iso should start at 50.

WHY? base ISO is 100-160,   for Log video it is 400ISO. there is a reason why you don't want to do it. Dynamic range is maximized at native ISO. at 50ISO you are overexposing already by one stop the sensor. I think we all know how Leica does in overexposed areas, there is nothing to recover.

On 2/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, fahrenhyde said:

I would like to be able to assign "Play" to one of the Fn buttons, like to one of the front buttons, so I don't always have to let go of the lens and reach to the back of the camera to push the "real" play button. This shouldnt be a big problem, right? Just add it to the list of assignable functions ..

Plus 1000!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Photoworks said:

WHY? base ISO is 100-160,   for Log video it is 400ISO. there is a reason why you don't want to do it. Dynamic range is maximized at native ISO. 

SL2 max dynamic range seems to be at 50 ISO :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1