SL2 firmware update request

helged

19 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I know, but I want the Fn button for other things; and it's not exactly the same as back button focusing anyway - each time you want to focus you have to unlock, get AF again and then lock again

Yes. That is why I used the words ‘kind of’ and ‘awkward’ :).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

That is actually what happens. Or rather it is AFs assigned to the joystick. Each press of the joystick sets the focus, and it stays there until you press again, or turn the focus ring. Pressing the shutter button has no effect.

What is missing is AF-C with back button focus. I typically always use AF-C with back button focus. Wish SL/SL2 had an "Instant AF" setting where you can specify to use either AF-S or AF-C with back-button focusing.

• Like 2

Agree with "helged"  disconnection of the rear focus button (joystick on the SL2) to the shutter button is the correct and common way to use AF rear focus, period. It's why Canon and Nikon pro camera"s have implemented it that way for decades.  A simple menu option to facilitate this would please professionals all over the world who are trying to use the SL2 in the manner they use their Pro Nikon and Canon DLSRs. If you don't understand it, don't use it , but tens of thousands of us do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bsmith said:

Agree with "helged"  disconnection of the rear focus button (joystick on the SL2) to the shutter button is the correct and common way to use AF rear focus, period. It's why Canon and Nikon pro camera"s have implemented it that way for decades.  A simple menu option to facilitate this would please professionals all over the world who are trying to use the SL2 in the manner they use their Pro Nikon and Canon DLSRs. If you don't understand it, don't use it , but tens of thousands of us do.

Nobody is arguing (yet?) that back-button focus (BBF) is the best way to focus.

To use BBF on SL/SL2 you switch to MF. MF mode disconnects focusing from shutter and enables BBF. Unfortunately, only AF-S is possible with BBF on SL/SL2. Not much an issue for me as I do not use AF-C on SL.

Yes, but in my testing the AFC works substantially better with the SL1. It’s actually VERY usable in AFC  now. I’ve even shot NBA players running full speed toward me at AFC high speed  ( 10 FPS) and got as many as 6 continuous frames in perfect focus!So it’s now even more important to disconnect the shutter button when selecting AFC. My other wish is to be able to lock the joy stick without disconnecting it. Now, when locked for left/ right, up/down movement, it disables it from depressing to AF.  Other Pro cameras only lock movement, not auto focusing ability. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine are more simple:

1. Option to reprogram any button to "play" and to reprogram the play button. On a camera with an EVF the Play button should NEVER be on the left hand side.

2. Picture in picture mode for magnifying manual focus.

3. Fix the connection issues with Focus 2 for Android.

4. Fix the blurry VF image when using iAF.

5. Add re-centre AF point to pushing the joystick in AF mode.

That's it, so far.

Gordon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to be able to add Photo Aspect Ratio both to the Favorites Menu and a function button. With the extra megapixels, using the 1:1 aspect makes more sense for portraits, particular with fast lenses. But right now I have to go to the Main Menu and scroll a long way to be able to get to that option.

Edited by johnbuckley
  • Thanks 1

vor 20 Stunden schrieb SrMi:

What is missing is AF-C with back button focus. I typically always use AF-C with back button focus. Wish SL/SL2 had an "Instant AF" setting where you can specify to use either AF-S or AF-C with back-button focusing.

Actually, it has. Just select AF-L for the Joystick in MF Mode.

The functionality is there, but implementation is different compared to other products.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, stephanjuergenschulz said:

Actually, it has. Just select AF-L for the Joystick in MF Mode.

The functionality is there, but implementation is different compared to other products.

Thank you, I was wrong! Indeed Leica SL/SL2 can specify to trigger either AF-C or AF-S when pressing the joystick.

2 hours ago, sdworman said:

Please put back the preview feature that is in the original SL that gives you depth of field preview, also shutter speed preview. I do a lot of long exposures and this is essential for me. Thank you.

+1 on that!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bsmith said:

But NOT without disengaging the shutter button. That makes it useless in AFC mode

What you say is correct and strange IMO: pressing the shutter button locks the focus even if you have specified AF-C for joystick press. This behavior makes AF-C with back-button focusing problematic in continuous shooting mode. If you shoot AF-C in single shooting mode, back button focusing works fine. It is important to remember that even a half-press locks focus and thus disengages AF-C.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:08 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Isn't this what MF with joystick/backbutton focusing actually is? You control focus entirely yourself, and it's detached from the shutter button.

The SL and S work the same way. I thought that was a common approach across DSLRs too actually?  At least that the way I have always used them. My brain hurts thinking about how back button AF in MF Mode would work on the CL

Request: An option where the focal length of non-native Leica lenses can be manually set in order for the IBIS to be activated.

Reason: Many non-native lenses have an Leica counterpart, but not all, and for some non-native Leica lenses we don't want to get the in-body adjustments of the RAW file that is associated with the use of the  Leica Lens Profiles (menu: 'Camera Information' -> 'Lens Profiles').

For instance, when I use the Nikon 400mm f2.8E with or without 1.4x, 1.7x or 2.0x extenders, I would prefer to set the focal length to 400mm, 560mm, 680mm or 800mm, without involving Leica lens profiles for the Leica counterparts.

For comparison, I add the relevant option from the Panasonic S1R manual (p. 177).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2