SL2 firmware update request

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, michali said:

+1 mine does the same, only "Default Profile" is picked.

Never noticed this before. Maybe it has something to do with how many User Profiles are activated? At this stage I only have 1 user profile activated. How many user profiles have you set Helge?

Hi Mike; I have set 3 user profiles. On my body, only user profile 1 can be chosen from the rear screen; so you are, in this respect, safe... The curious thing is that I can chose any of the user profiles when the EVF is activated. So there is a logical/programming glitch somehow, somewhere, although things are working fine for @Aktenschrank ( a few posts up).

Edited by helged
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, helged said:

Error, choosing user profiles with the rear screen activated:

When the rear screen is activated, shifting the user menu on the first menu page (the status screen), you can not toggle beyond the first user defined menu. With the EVF activated, you can freely pick any of the user defined menus.

For others to confirm:

• Activate the back screen
  • Press the MENU-button 
  • Move to and activate the profile icon
  • Scroll to the right, and the first user menu after the 'Default profile' is always picked

I don't have a problem choosing a user profile from the quick menu on the back screen.  Far Eastern model with firmware 1.0  I have two profiles defined.  both show up and I can toggle between "cancel" default 1 and 2.

1 minute ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I don't have a problem choosing a user profile from the quick menu on the back screen.  Far Eastern model with firmware 1.0  I have two profiles defined.  both show up and I can toggle between "cancel" default 1 and 2.

Thanks. I have a body from the release day (first batch, I guess), so it could be that 'things' have been altered after the initial production. Just speculation. But strange it is...

6 minutes ago, helged said:

Thanks. I have a body from the release day (first batch, I guess), so it could be that 'things' have been altered after the initial production. Just speculation. But strange it is...

Release day meaning when they were available as demos or the first day they could be sold (Nov 21, I think)?  I didn't get mine until first week of December, and it was diverted from those intended for Hong Kong. . If you still have the box, check for the manufacturing date on your camera. I don't have my boxes but I recall mid November.

Jono still has one of the late prototypes.  We can ask if his does what you are seeing

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if it's ok to hi-jack this thread for a quick question on what the "cancel" function in the user profile selector actually does? The manual has nothing to say about it, and if I for example select one of my user profiles, then change the shooting mode to exposure bracketing and then hit that "cancel" function, it seems like I´m getting thrown out of my user profile + exposure bracketing is still active. Seems weird to me. What I would expect is that hitting "cancel" will revert any setting changes I made to the last profile selected. Obviously one can work around this by just selecting the respective profile again, which is fine for me...anyway, I´m probably just curious if anybody knows what this "cancel" function is useful for? I see the value in most other menus, but it is unclear to me what it actually does in the user profiles selector bar.

Edited by Aktenschrank

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think cancel just means that you want to go up to the next level in the menus, probably because you have decided not to save your current settings as a new user profile.  When the wheel/joystick is being used to select among options, the dialog has to provide an "exit" or "back" button.

firmware update request-

when connecting to leica fotos and using the app's remote control, the mode automatically switches to p[rogram] from whatever setting was in use before connecting (in my case, m).  can't think of a reason why remote control would force this.  camera should be able to leave the mode unchanged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, jcbjr said:

firmware update request-

when connecting to leica fotos and using the app's remote control, the mode automatically switches to p[rogram] from whatever setting was in use before connecting (in my case, m).  can't think of a reason why remote control would force this.  camera should be able to leave the mode unchanged.

+1 I agree.  Not only do I find the camera in a mode I wasn't planning to use, I have to switch this and several other factors back to my personal defaults (or profile) when I finish. It wouldn't be hard if you could choose a profile from within the REMOTE app.  I can do that on the camera, but there have been reports of people having trouble changing profiles while connected to Fotos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Leica is reading this, and is deciding between only releasing firmware when they can offer all the goodies (such as high resolution multi-shot) promised in the instruction manual or fixing some of the bugs in this thread and offering only some of the goodies... I vote for bug fixes and some of the goodies.  I can wait for multi-shot high resolution, but not having two chips in the two slots is embarrassing.   

Also, I would find a steady stream of real small improvements more reassuring than one bombshell release every year, long after we have given up hope, and with corrections to follow.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

If Leica is reading this, and is deciding between only releasing firmware when they can offer all the goodies (such as high resolution multi-shot) promised in the instruction manual or fixing some of the bugs in this thread and offering only some of the goodies... I vote for bug fixes and some of the goodies.  I can wait for multi-shot high resolution, but not having two chips in the two slots is embarrassing.   

Also, I would find a steady stream of real small improvements more reassuring than one bombshell release every year, long after we have given up hope, and with corrections to follow.

100% agree!

When I take a photo and want to review it afterwards by zooming in, the point where the image is magnified is not where the original focus point was. So I have use the joy stick to scroll around the image to get to the point of focus. 

This is so frustrating. I hope it can be fixed with firmware.

1 hour ago, Siran said:

When I take a photo and want to review it afterwards by zooming in, the point where the image is magnified is not where the original focus point was. So I have use the joy stick to scroll around the image to get to the point of focus. 

I contacted Leica CS about this exact issue about one and half weeks ago and didn't get any response so far. Me being positive, I would interpret this as the fix being right around the corner. I might be totally wrong though. I´d suggest to also contact Leica CS and see what they answer (if you get one).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Siran said:

I agree. The workaround is to use the double tap on the screen which zooms to where you tap.

Gordon

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aktenschrank said:

I contacted Leica CS about this exact issue about one and half weeks ago and didn't get any response so far. Me being positive, I would interpret this as the fix being right around the corner. I might be totally wrong though. I´d suggest to also contact Leica CS and see what they answer (if you get one).

I’ve sent an email. I’ll let you know if they come back to me.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, Siran said:

I’ve sent an email. I’ll let you know if they come back to me.

this is the response I have just received:

==============

Hello Bhupinder

Thank you for contacting Leica Camera UK.
Could you please let us know where you are based so we can direct your enquiry to your local Leica agent.

Firmware updates requests are always forwarded to the product deveopment team in the factory in Germany,

With such a new camera as the SL2 they oftern have planned upgrades and many requests for changes as well as performance improvements along with bug fixes.

It is unlikely that the factory will develop an update for a single issue. All requests are graded by importance and the number of requests for each feature play a big part in the dicision process.

We hae reported your request to the factory and the development tean will investigate. Could you please provide your serial number for your SL2 as this will help with identifying the exact history of your cameras production. This also helps to identify any production issues. Although rare, it is posiable that your cameras issues are not common and there could always be a physical issue or a programming change.

Sorry but as your e-mail address does not indicate where in the world you are based so we can’t provide you with the details of your local support options.

Kind regards
Leica Camera UK Customer Care

Edited by Siran

Has anyone mentioned the circle of confusion/DOF measurement is accurate when “meter” is selected but is incorrect when “feet” is selected.  The conversion incorrectly divides “meters” by 3.33 instead of multiplying the meter calculation by 3.33.  Thus  A subject focused at 7.5 meters, when the setting is changed to feet, shows that it is focused at 2.4 feet (instead of 25 feet).  

• Thanks 2