SL2 firmware update request

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

Has anyone mentioned the circle of confusion/DOF measurement is accurate when “meter” is selected but is incorrect when “feet” is selected.  The conversion incorrectly divides “meters” by 3.33 instead of multiplying the meter calculation by 3.33.  Thus  A subject focused at 7.5 meters, when the setting is changed to feet, shows that it is focused at 2.4 feet (instead of 25 feet).  

Thanks for sharing! That is a bug not a missing feature :-). Please let Leica know. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

Unnecessary moderation lol 😂! Thanks though for the advice! I will be sure to send Leica an e-mail 😉 👩‍💻 ! 

Did not intend it that way, sorry. Thanks for reporting it to Leica! We should have a thread dedicated to discovered bugs only.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:03 AM, NRKstudio said:

Has anyone mentioned the circle of confusion/DOF measurement is accurate when “meter” is selected but is incorrect when “feet” is selected.  The conversion incorrectly divides “meters” by 3.33 instead of multiplying the meter calculation by 3.33.  Thus  A subject focused at 7.5 meters, when the setting is changed to feet, shows that it is focused at 2.4 feet (instead of 25 feet).  

I passed this one along to Leica CS, too.  They seem to be aware of it and agree that it will be fixed (someday).

• Like 2

How quickly did Leica release firmware for the original SL? Would that give an indication of when we can expect something for the SL2? I hope the improvements will really capitalise on the potential of the camera (AF speed etc) as I feel that right now I have something that isn’t quite complete. 

28 minutes ago, Siran said:

How quickly did Leica release firmware for the original SL? Would that give an indication of when we can expect something for the SL2? I hope the improvements will really capitalise on the potential of the camera (AF speed etc) as I feel that right now I have something that isn’t quite complete. 

The original SL had a defective video codec for internal capture of the results.  Someone in Wetzlar had never considered that it would be used without an external monitor, since that gives ultimate results.  Anyway they cleared that up and issued new firmware within a few weeks of the announcement.  I think there were further small upgrades.  A major set of upgrades in capability came two years after the announcement, at the time that wireless connection (ultimately FOTOS) had become a strategic direction.  That one went through a beta test lasting much of the summer before it was released.  I don't know what inferences you can draw from this little history.  It's possible that video bugs surfaced quicker and required faster corrections because Leica in Wetzlar had never been seriously in that business.  But they must have learned since then.  And a lot of the SL's firmware 3.n features are incorporated in the SL2 already, while some obvious and announced function is still missing.  So we have to wait for Stephan Shultz to give another interview...

• Thanks 2

Firmware Update Request: Reprogrammable Thumbwheel Press

I use manual-focus lenses on my SL2 about half the time, so I use the focus-assist magnification function a lot.  My hands are on the small side of average, and none of the function buttons is within comfortable reach of a finger when my right index finger is on the shutter button.  So what I'd like to be able to do is invoke focus-assist magnification using a press of the thumbwheel.  I'm happy to use the menu to change modes, which is the function assigned to thumbwheel press in still-photo mode.

But as long as we're going to make the thumbwheel press reprogrammable, why not offer a spectrum of choices, and not just mode/magnification?

• Like 4

Now the IBIS only will work for M lenses with 6 bit. I hope the coming update will allow the IBIS work with all manual focus lenses.

Much better iso performance

Face detection can turn up face's exposure for manual focus when shoot under strong backlit situations

Joystick press can reprogrammable to press twice that will zoom out from 100% focus assist.

• Like 2

I think all users of a SL 2 are eagerly  waiting for an firmare update, which will improve some things and make promised things feasable - like HIRES function. And that firmware should be available in near future. But it is better to wait a bit longer than to get a firmware update which would not be satisfactory. By the way, it seems to be time too, to get a firmware update for the CL which shuld enable this camera to use the L adapter from Sigma and if possible the Novoflex adapter too.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Luca said:

Just cannot find properly which lens you are using but ibis works,

The issue is that you cannot enter an arbitrary focal length for the IBIS to work correctly (it needs that information). The only available workaround at the moment is to manually choose an M lens with the same focal length you're using (if one exists). This will however also bake the lens corrections for this lens into the dng file, which makes this pretty much useless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, makiyo said:

Now the IBIS only will work for M lenses with 6 bit. I hope the coming update will allow the IBIS work with all manual focus lenses.

Face detection can turn up face's exposure for manual focus when shoot under strong backlit situations

Joystick press can reprogrammable to press twice that will zoom out from 100% focus assist.

I completely agree with your all your suggestions. 

I took some photos last night at iso 3200 and they were worryingly poor.

I didn’t think of it myself, but it would be so helpful to have the joystick also zoom out of 100% focus assist - great suggestion!

4 hours ago, makiyo said:

LOL you must be coming from sony