Jono Slack: All about the Leica M10-D

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thank you Scott, that would be useful if I can get it to work on my iPad Mini rather than squinting at my iPhone 5. 

I will try it out when I've the camera in hand.......I suppose I could do the same on the M10, but I'll wait for the MD

On 10/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, thrid said:

So, how is your exposure hit rate without a histogram?

Shooting digital is not like shooting negative film, which handles overexposure gracefully and the Leica M metering system is not exactly known for being very accurate.

I would have expected Leica to at least add a histogram in the viewfinder or on a very narrow strip of a screen on the rear.

I've tested Leica FOTOS with a CL using adapted lenses (R series and M series) on iPad Pro 12.1 and 9.7 inch, as well as iPhone 8 Plus, all running iOS 12.1. It works very well. 

I cannot understand why someone would want this new camera.

The lack of the LCD screen and thus Live View is advertised as an advantage on concentrating when taking pictures. I only see disadvantages. Perhaps after thirty years of professional use of the M system that is easy to say from me because concentrating and composing has become a second nature. But hey, if one thinks that he or she is looking too much on the screen, just turn Live View off and watch the pictures later. Moreover, it should not be forgotten that even in the film days there were situations when we wished there would be someting like a possible Live View.

What remains are the disadvantages . With the M 10 D, you cannot see in a fast way  if the subject is in focus. Specially when using critical Noctulux lenses not so  practical compared to the M 10. Isn’t it?

The same counts for white balance. Only to change on your mobile phone.  Time consuming. Try to use a grey card, or the WhiBal!. And so on.

About the lever: yes in the analogue days it was also very useful as a grip. For that  I use now the thumbie which leaves the hotshoe free, and the grip is fine.

So all in all, what is the benefit of the M10 D? I cannot see it.

Kind regards, Roel. http://www.roelvisser.nl

Edited by roelv1
  • Like 4

Jono,

As always, an excellent, lucid and useful review.  Thanks for taking the time.

Back on Post 55 you said, "I've loved using the M10-D, it's a different experience (for those times when it doesn't really matter what you shoot) and the 'thumb grip'  turns out to be so much better than either a thumbs up or a grip."

Do we ever leave the house thinking that it doesn't matter what we photograph that day?  I'm always hoping and prepared for a great image, rare as they are.  I'm not a chimper, but I do rely on the back screen from time to time, and while the idea of no screen is appealing in a certain nostalgic sense, the screen is helpful and sometimes there is not time to fuddle with the EVF or patch in the iPhone.  

Last week I was on a boat in the Adriatic Sea.  It was turning dark when suddenly a school of dolphins started leaping all around us.  The screen allowed me to quickly check focus on my first image to make sure I had correctly pre-focused my 50 Summilux set at 1.4 in the dim evening light.  I would have been beyond disappointed if I had gotten home and found the exposures to be 3' off in focal plane.  And dolphins jumping 15 feet away from me was beyond my wildest expectation for what I would photograph that day.  So, I'll happily stick with my M10.  

On the other hand, I would really like to see the new film advance thumb rest on the M10M, which I am also saving for.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Likaleica said:

Last week I was on a boat in the Adriatic Sea.  It was turning dark when suddenly a school of dolphins started leaping all around us.  The screen allowed me to quickly check focus on my first image to make sure I had correctly pre-focused my 50 Summilux set at 1.4 in the dim evening light.  I would have been beyond disappointed if I had gotten home and found the exposures to be 3' off in focal plane.  And dolphins jumping 15 feet away from me was beyond my wildest expectation for what I would photograph that day.  So, I'll happily stick with my M10.  

On the other hand, I would really like to see the new film advance thumb rest on the M10M, which I am also saving for.  

Dolphins at dusk sounds like a good occasion for scale focus, and checking on the LCD would probably cut your number of possible shots way back.  But the visoflex with its bright display is very helpful in those conditions.  On M10 and M10-D it will let you hold the image you just shot for review (by holding the shutter down), which is quicker.  And someone asked higher up in the thread about life without histograms... The histogram shows up in the Visoflex when you half press the shutter to get exposure simulation.

• Like 1

Thanks, Scott.  Good points.  But by the time I would have reached into my bag and popped on the visoflex, half of the dolphin show would have been over.  I suppose I could keep it on all the time for the odd moment when I need it, but then I couldn't use the Thumbs Up, which is why I'd like the faux film advance lever on the M10M.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the detailed and balanced review.

I switched to digital after film Ms in 2014 when I bought the M(240). Not that long after the M-D (262) came out. Had it been before I got the M(240) I would have bought it without hesitation. It could be an option when time comes to replace my M.

I did not feel the need for a screen although it is practical. I bought the SL a few weeks ago and only use the screen for the menus, switched auto-review off.

I am however completely amazed at that mimick advance lever. It is so « kitsch ».

Not a remembrance of things past, simply a kind mock-up.

I am shocked that Leica plays that game. I buy the cameras to use them, because the design of the M is great. Not to look kitsch. I got so used to the M-line and don’t want anything else (apart from long focal lengths) - I would have loved to have a manual advance again without motor, but hell no, not a kind of faux.

I just feel like Leica has chosen marketing instead of usability, and this move kills it claim of a « professional tool ». 

It is a real deception for me. I hope the M10-M will be like a real M with NO faux-pas and no kitsch design !

I have to confess, after the last thread on the M10-D, I did not read all of these.  But, @jonoslack, I always love your reviews as they come across with usability.  I have radically enjoyed the MD 262 and should (by Wednesday) have my M10-D.  Leica seems to have done a great job more recently of getting choices out.  

If anything is clear, there is a good group of photographers that do not like the idea of the M10-D.  I am in the smaller group that seem to embrace it.  So, I for one, cannot wait!  Thanks for such a great hands-on review, Jono!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, hoosierphotoguy said:

I would stay away from the Light....too much processing after, I have one gently used that I will sell you CHEAP!

Do  you mean it requires a lot of user-processing/Photoshop, or that the camera does a lot of 'magic' after the shot has been taken that is not desired?

On 11/2/2018 at 2:52 PM, Dominique1952 said:

Nice review, thanks. Is there a way to get monochrom pictures in the app ?

Well, the M10 can do it -- just set the jpeg properties to Monochrome and shoot DNG + JPG so that you can go either way at the end.  I assume all the M10 firmware capabilities are still down under the covers in the M10-D, but you have to make the request to Leica to have access to the less common ones.  Today, that's not available in the app.

Following the model that the M10-D is really an M10-P with improved, offloaded ergonomics.  This is a reasonable request.

• Like 1

My last line above is really Godfrey's insight.  Following an emotional reaction to the things that an M10-D can do that the M60 or his M-D [262] would never deign to do, he has reached the conclusion that it is an M10-P, improved over the M10 in a few ways, with all the fiddly parts pushed outboard but available when you really need them.  The choice of DNG, JPG, or both is already in FOTOS version 1.0.n.

Edit:  OMG!  It's in there already (you can set jpgs in monochrome):

C1090712 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 2

Would love to see an Apple Watch app for FOTOS,  allowing one to change a limited number of selected functions immediately. White balance, for example, or slowest shutter speed in Auto mode.  This would be quicker than hauling out the phone or, for that matter, diving into a menu on a camera’s LCD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 2003 i had Nikon F80 film camera, it had number of shooting settings that were selectable via single line LCD display. 

If pursuit of form following function and some comfort creatures are still desirable like selecting DNG+JPG, and than JPG in Mono for example could have been achieved via similar single line display and all the buttons and wheels already on the camera.  Such single line display could have been even fitted below bottom plate.  It seems firmware designers are getting lazy and Leica marketing have been beyond pale for some time now even if it means extra revenue for the business.