Jono Slack: All about the Leica M10-D

LUF Admin

9 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

There is no "brightness" control in the M10's menus, and I don't find it in the menus of other cameras, so I am skeptical that this can be unlocked in the M10-D.  That whole subsystem probably comes from some outside provider, not designed by Leica, who seem to be concentrating on other, more workflow-related aspects of the UI.

Yes, there are separate brightness controls for the LCD and the Visoflex.  I just checked.  They also include an Auto setting. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 10:45 AM, Ouroboros said:

I think anyone who is getting hot under the collar about this camera should step back and accept it for what it is.  No one in their right mind would routinely use it for critical or paid work. 

It’s a toy intended for those who can afford the luxury of owning it and the limited sense of individualism it represents. 

It’s a mildly anarchic photographic upright middle finger and I love that!

I finally got around to get the M10-D, on the back of the above stated reasons and Jono's excellent review. I find it fun to fail, it's fun to learn by failing. Thanks all for sharing your thought. So far I enjoy shooting with it even if its purely for fun and non paid work. I doubt I will ever sell a picture. I don't aspire to do that. It's a hobby. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

I finally got around to get the M10-D, on the back of the above stated reasons and Jono's excellent review. I find it fun to fail, it's fun to learn by failing. Thanks all for sharing your thought. So far I enjoy shooting with it even if its purely for fun and non paid work. I doubt I will ever sell a picture. I don't aspire to do that. It's a hobby. 

+1

I don't agree "it's a toy", unless my bicycles, motorbike, paragliders, kite surfers, skis ... are also "toys".

I took an award winning photo with my M10-D the other day.  Perfect "decisive moment" and worthy of a huge print, except that I left the lens cap on 🙄

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, papimuzo said:

You too???

😁 😊

He might not be the only one.

After all my kicking and screaming about that bloody fake stupid advance lever, I’ve given in, too. It was horrible first to hate, then to love, then to obsess secretly about the thing, unable to get it out of my head for the last two months!

Now at last I will be in peace, GAS abated, happily eating my hat...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, mdemeyer said:

Yes, there are separate brightness controls for the LCD and the Visoflex.  I just checked.  They also include an Auto setting. 

I hope you have better luck adjusting the brightness control than I did. I changed mine, then the menu disappeared and it will not come back. Removed battery, replaced it and still no menu.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, mdemeyer said:

Right.  I was looking at jpg controls, since the displayed live view images are subject to the adjustments made for jpg output.  But the manual describes five levels of brightness plus Auto (which responds to the little blue window in the front of the camera that also is used to estimate the aperture of the lens.  You can cover this window with a fingertip while using auto brightness, and see if it produces a helpful shift in display brightness.  It does usually fool the aperture estimator, so that the EXIF will display the maximum aperture of the lens that the camera thinks is installed.  My own response when the display brightness is not enough, and I can't see shadow detail, is to shade the viewfinder with my left hand, after I have focused.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pico said:

I hope you have better luck adjusting the brightness control than I did. I changed mine, then the menu disappeared and it will not come back. Removed battery, replaced it and still no menu.

Correction - the menu returned quite some time later after a scolding and placing the M10 in a corner facing the wall.

Edited by pico
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet.  The cameras that shipped after announcement all have firmware 2.6.5.1.  There have been no updates.  The firmware is one piece of information contained in the DNG as metadata.  Some of the EXIF readers might be able to extract it for you, but there is really no need at present.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1