Jono Slack: All about the Leica M10-D

LUF Admin

4 hours ago, Ashkanani1985 said:

Thanx for the nice review 

i was searching every where if you can format the SD card using fotos app or in camera ? 

Not yet, but I'm pretty sure you will be able to in the next few months

In the meantime either format in your computer (or your other M10)!

best

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thrid said:

So, how is your exposure hit rate without a histogram?

Shooting digital is not like shooting negative film, which handles overexposure gracefully and the Leica M metering system is not exactly known for being very accurate.

I would have expected Leica to at least add a histogram in the viewfinder or on a very narrow strip of a screen on the rear.

Hi There

Are you asking me? I'd say 100%, perhaps not 100% perfect, but 100% okay. I think I have only one rule these days "Don't blow the highlights"; modern sensors have so much dynamic range you can almost always dig some details out of the shadows. Certainly, with my use of the M10D over the last moth or so I haven't deleted any pictures because of the exposure (lots because they're rubbish!).

Best

2 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

I find the release of this camera on the heels of the MP interesting for a couple of reasons.  Certainly the camera has softened its militancy a bit compared to the original, which frankly, makes it more appealing to moderates like myself.  If it had been available along side the original M10, given the EVF capability I might have gone that way.  One wonders if those currently in the market for an MP might not feel similarly.  But what I find more fascinating that they released an MD prior to providing an MM. Perhaps its all a matter of cost vs profit, but I would have thought that an M10MM would have broader appeal and had less of a scavenging effect on the MP. 

Hi There

Of course, I know nothing, but my suspicion is that the order of release of cameras is more controlled by "when they're ready" than "when we want to" !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Tailwagger:

I find the release of this camera on the heels of the MP interesting for a couple of reasons.  Certainly the camera has softened its militancy a bit compared to the original, which frankly, makes it more appealing to moderates like myself.  If it had been available along side the original M10, given the EVF capability I might have gone that way.  One wonders if those currently in the market for an MP might not feel similarly.  But what I find more fascinating that they released an MD prior to providing an MM. Perhaps its all a matter of cost vs profit, but I would have thought that an M10MM would have broader appeal and had less of a scavenging effect on the MP. 

I think you mean M10-P instead of MP. I was just thinking; the outside is looking even more like an MP ( the real one ) If Leica put a smaller shutter- speed - dial, the difference would be even less.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, schattenundlicht said:

Vomit!

Deep down in my mind I did not believe that they would indulge in such a frivolous abomination. Now I know better. Churn, churn, churn...

I never was into gaffer tape on my red dot. Now I will be. What a shame. Maybe, in a few days I can laugh about this. Currently I am unable to.

Come Mathias - or rather, go walking on some Cretan mountains with a 28 Summilux attached all day and you will see that the lever is the perfect grip (much more satisfactory than a Thumbs up or a hand grip). 

All the best

• Like 4

Not been mentioned anywhere that I have seen: how do you signify a non-standard lens, such as my beloved Zeiss 35 Distagon? I have not seen mention of that capability with the M-D either.

Or do purists simply not lower themselves to non-Leica lenses?

• Haha 1

I have to say that apart from the comments that have already been made about card formatting etc, THE design flaw for me is the on/off switch.  Why on the back?  Why lose the M9 solution which gives you access to S/C and Delay.  Does the M10-D not have these functions?  If it does, are you going to have to have a smart phone with you in order to access them?  This is the opposite of form following function (and no - I'm not crazy about the non-functional film advance lever 😕)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oculus_ny said:

Such a coincidence!  I have again been debating about purchasing the Light L16 camera with its multiple lenses, but have once again averred due to ergonomics...and age.   I disposed of all my Leicas (and Rolleis) as my eyesight and steady grip became impaired. I preordered a Light, but canceled after I discovered it had no image stabilization and really needed a tripod for low-light situations.  I figured any camera held at arm's length, framing using a back screen, and working overtime to capture a steady dim image was not something I could expect to age well with.  These same criteria, or lack thereof on the Leicas, (including image stabilization) has kept me away, despite having started out with a new SL2 kit in 1976, and a bevy of Ms ever since.  I'm now strictly Olympus.

What this new addition really makes me wonder even more about is Leica's gauging of their audience.  None of us is getting younger, and all of us could benefit from available auto-focus and image stabilization.  What are they thinking?

Good luck!

Ray Hull

Albany, NY USA

I would stay away from the Light....too much processing after, I have one gently used that I will sell you CHEAP!

35 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

I have to say that apart from the comments that have already been made about card formatting etc, THE design flaw for me is the on/off switch.  Why on the back?  Why lose the M9 solution which gives you access to S/C and Delay.  Does the M10-D not have these functions?  If it does, are you going to have to have a smart phone with you in order to access them?  This is the opposite of form following function (and no - I'm not crazy about the non-functional film advance lever 😕)

Chris, it's an M10-P under the covers.  The M10 and the M10-P went to a simple on-off switch and put the drive options, of which there are many, including 2 and 12 second delay and several continuous shooting modes, down in a menu, arguing that you could put them on the favorites page if they were important.  I'll bet they are still down there inside the -D as well, and we have to wait to see if FOTOs will dig them out.  I could swear I saw a version of FOTOs for one of its cameras that had this option under settings.  But it's not present in what I currently am running.

Same thing is behind the question several people ask about why we can't have ISO settings with 1/3 stop steps, and put that back on the back of the camera.  All the M10 series change ISO in one stop steps, and that is probably wired into the hardware all the way down.  I don't think there is much new technology in the M10-D -- it's all about leaving stuff out.  (except for the lever, and the wireless, which seems to be newer than the M10's)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

I would consider the M10-D because of the wind on lever, if it would have been the M4, M6, M7 variant. This M3 lever has too sharp ribbons for me, the whole idea of it always irritated me. It’s like watches with a too large crown that irritates the skin of your hand, I don’t see how designers can think out such a form-does-not-follow-function thing. 

49 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

I agree, the SL also has the on/off on a very weird place

Within a few days there will be kits from China with the tool and spring washer to remove the so-called advance lever.
Now, what to do with the removed lever? Pendant? Maybe we could engrave a memorial date on it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, pico said:

Within a few days there will be kits from China with the tool and spring washer to remove the so-called advance lever.
Now, what to do with the removed lever? Pendant? Maybe we could engrave a memorial date on it.

Attach it to our base M10s of course. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

Of course, I know nothing, but my suspicion is that the order of release of cameras is more controlled by "when they're ready" than "when we want to" !

Dunno... I guess to some extent I was misremembering as in checking the intro dates, the monochroms have shown up in year 2.5 to 3 or so rather than year 2. So perhaps all is still on the traditional schedule.