M Lens to Nikon Z mount adapter

jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fisherman, Nikon Z7 Noctilux 50mm @0.95

Regards,

Edgard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by eddds
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, DirkR440 said:

I think "serious" cyan cast is a bit exaggerated. I took it at about 6pm, the start of the blue hour here. 

But as you mentioned, if it is to blue for you then you can easily change that in Lightroom by adjusting the white balance or the blue color in general.

My point was not about blue nor your skills of course but about cyan because thick sensor stacks may cause color shifts with wide M lenses, mainly in red, magenta or cyan. Do you still see some cyan shift if you adjust WB, especially around edges or corners? Just curious.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb lct:

My point was not about blue nor your skills of course but about cyan because thick sensor stacks may cause color shifts with wide M lenses, mainly in red, magenta or cyan. Do you still see some cyan shift if you adjust WB, especially around edges or corners? Just curious.

I don't really see that shift. For me it looks quite ok. So it is hard for me to adjust it.

But if you want I can send you the NEF file and you can try to adjust it by yourself?

I wouldn't want to bother you. When adjusting WB, just for sake of testing, i seem to see a bit of cyan shift around the bottom right corner but it would be easy to fix in PP if needed. 

@lctI would just use a controlled environment to look into this - changing the white balance in a shot with mixed artificial and natural light does not help here. The sensor stack of the Z7 to my knowledge is the thinnest of any non-Leica camera (the Z6 e.g. has an additional AA filter). One of the reasons I have one since it came out and I do use the Z7 also with M lenses. My 21 Super Elmar is fine a bit stopped down, the older Summicron 28 has corner sharpness issues, 35 Summilux as well anything longer no issue.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Z7, WATE / strong orange and blue colors ...

• Like 1

one more with the WATE:

Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

• Like 4

On 2/12/2020 at 8:12 PM, lct said:

No but i have a Kolari modded Sony yet so i doubt i can get similar results with a thicker sensor stack.

It would be interesting to know what makes the big difference for you between the Nikons already low sensor stack in the current market and a Kolari conversion? How big you are enlarging and what is the viewing distance? Is it to make massive enlargements for decorating a narrow corridor in the Mr Magoo Club?

12 minutes ago, 250swb said:

It would be interesting to know what makes the big difference for you between the Nikons already low sensor stack in the current market and a Kolari conversion? How big you are enlarging and what is the viewing distance?

Not a matter of enlargements but soft/smeared corners and color shifts i've experienced with various cameras having thicker sensor stacks than my Leicas and modded Sony. Same reasons why Kolari Vision makes a modded sensor for Nikon i guess. 

4 minutes ago, lct said:

Same reasons why Kolari Vision makes a modded sensor for Nikon i guess. 

Hmm, well I suppose they are a business the way you describe them, and what business does not want to sell you something whether you need it or not? 

Just now, lct said:

I don't understand what you mean sorry. 

Well ok, in the current market the advantages from any one high end thing compared to another high end thing are in a state of increasingly diminishing returns. It has always been thus ever since digital photography was invented.

So at every turn there are people using cameras and lenses and modifications that make them feel they are at the pinnacle of photography before realising that the people who look at the photograph have no fucking clue what the difference is. If somebody stands five feet away from the image are they getting a worse experience than those pressing their noses against the glass?  I suggest if they need to press their nose against the glass of a massive print there is fundamentally something missing from the photograph. 

Excuse me but i could not care less about high end things, pinnacles or pressing nose against anything. I simply like taking photographs and i'm after the best possible cameras for my M lenses. If Nikon or whatever brand made such a camera, i would have one already.

I was just asking where your Kolari modified camera intersected with the real world of print sizes and viewing distances.

If you want to say it's so much superior I think that makes you responsible for explaining why in a practical everyman way. As perceived advantages become ever more minimal it behoves those extolling them to justify the expense and true nature of it. After all there will be wedding guests who say they got better pictures with their iPhone than the official photographer just as there will be people who got a better picture of the sea front than the postcard in the local shop. But if it's too difficult then I apologise for interrupting your reverie.