M Lens to Nikon Z mount adapter

jaeger

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use Voigtlander 21 1.8 with fantastic results. Sharp corner to corner. Vinieting is less  than native Nikon 24-70 2,8 s lens at 24.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I got a Z7 a couple of days ago and also a Novoflex adapter. I started to test my M-lenses today and can't see the lens data in the EXIF file. I have input these values into the camera for non-CPU lenses. Data show in the camera and the stabilisation work fine, but in the EXIF there is 0.0 0.0 for length and aperture. I use Lightroom classic 9.0. I apply the lens profiles in LR and it handles the vignetting fine but for my widest lens a Voigtlander vm 15/4.5 II there is quite a lot of corner smearing. The Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 is better as shown here: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Leica 135/4 is perfect and I will continue testing but would like to be able to store the lens data in the EXIF. Any ideas on how to fix it?

38 minutes ago, stickan1 said:

[...] The Leica 135/4 is perfect and I will continue testing but would like to be able to store the lens data in the EXIF. Any ideas on how to fix it?

On a Leica body you would need a Leica adapter but I have no idea on the Z7 sorry.

Edited by lct

1 hour ago, stickan1 said:

...The Leica 135/4 is perfect and I will continue testing but would like to be able to store the lens data in the EXIF. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Unfortunately the Z cameras only write the Non-CPU data in EXIF if you are using the FTZ adapter with F mount lenses.  One of the very frustrating features of that camera.  To get the proper EXIF information I use the LensTagger plugin to Lightroom and manually input that information on keeper images.  Which means you have to keep notes while shooting.  Back to the film day methods :)

Edited by gbohannon
  • Like 1

Ok, I have checked the EXIF and XMP data with a tool called Abc EXIF Viewer, very useful. There is no lens info in the EXIF. But as I manually input the lens profile I can see that among the XMP data and use it to sort my images but I guess I will have to use the Lens Tagger to get an easy way to organise my images. Stupid that Nikon don't write this info into the EXIF as it is in the camera. Let's hope it gets fixed in a coming firmware!

Edited by stickan1

Am 23.12.2019 um 20:28 schrieb stickan1:

..Stupid that Nikon don't write this info into the EXIF as it is in the camera. Let's hope it gets fixed in a coming firmware!

Same hope i.e. with Sony and non CPU lenses since years - they didn't fix it till today!
So it might be a problem or there is no strong demand ...

Is it really any sort of problem that the lens data doesn't show up in the EXIF file? I suppose if the purpose of the photograph is a technical exercise to demonstrate the effects of shutter speed and aperture, and these were the actual talking points, then you could go 'old school' and use a pencil and paper to record aperture. Otherwise just look at the trees, or the sunset, or the dog in the photograph.

• Like 4

I have continued testing my M-lenses and they all work fine except the 15 mm Voigtlander where there is a difference between my M10 and the Nikon Z7. My Zm 21/2.8 works fine from f4 and is acceptable at f2.8. I have not tried all my lenses, so far I have tested ZM 35/2, Summarit 75/2.5 and Elmarit 135/4, and no problems. My conclusion is that the Z7 can be used for most M-lenses. Focusing is easy and the image stabilisation works fine, I made a landscape free hand at 0.5 sec with the 21 mm ZM that is really sharp. + for Nikon is weather sealing, better high ISO, image stabilisation and a better view finder and less than half the price compared to Leica. But no rangefinder so nothing for the purist!

I do a lot of landscape photography and plan to use Nikons 24-70/4,  which is weather sealed + a couple of M-lenses and then I will have a light package of high quality that can be used even in bad weather.

The lack of EXIF data can be solved in different ways as noted earlier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I took some picture recently with the Z7 and my Leica wide angle lenses.

24mm Elmar:

Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

WATE:

Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

• Like 6

I think "serious" cyan cast is a bit exaggerated. I took it at about 6pm, the start of the blue hour here. 

But as you mentioned, if it is to blue for you then you can easily change that in Lightroom by adjusting the white balance or the blue color in general.