M Lens to Nikon Z mount adapter

jaeger

20 minutes ago, DirkR440 said:

So are you happy with the results that you get from your modded Sony or not? Doesn't sound like that you are happy with it.

My A7s mod is almost perfect in its own rights but i would be glad to get IBIS and a bit more than 12MP with the same lack of digital noise, also i'd like to use my favorite Nikkor lenses in AF mode on it. Too much asking perhaps but i'm not i  a hurry.

18 hours ago, 250swb said:

Well ok, in the current market the advantages from any one high end thing compared to another high end thing are in a state of increasingly diminishing returns. It has always been thus ever since digital photography was invented.

So at every turn there are people using cameras and lenses and modifications that make them feel they are at the pinnacle of photography before realising that the people who look at the photograph have no fucking clue what the difference is. If somebody stands five feet away from the image are they getting a worse experience than those pressing their noses against the glass?  I suggest if they need to press their nose against the glass of a massive print there is fundamentally something missing from the photograph. 

16 hours ago, 250swb said:

I was just asking where your Kolari modified camera intersected with the real world of print sizes and viewing distances.

If you want to say it's so much superior I think that makes you responsible for explaining why in a practical everyman way. As perceived advantages become ever more minimal it behoves those extolling them to justify the expense and true nature of it. After all there will be wedding guests who say they got better pictures with their iPhone than the official photographer just as there will be people who got a better picture of the sea front than the postcard in the local shop. But if it's too difficult then I apologise for interrupting your reverie.

These comments would be better directed at someone (and there seem to be plenty on these forums) who spend 5000 (£, $, Euros) and upwards on a lens for which there are plenty of much cheaper alternatives. I neither get their logic nor the apparent irritation and rudeness directed at LCT in these posts, who remains studiously polite and to the point.

The benefits of a thin filter stack such as those offered by Kolari on Sony A7 models have been quite well documeted on the internet. I personally found it made a very significant reduction in smearing to certain wide angle lenses in particular and gave me a route into mirrorless cameras for M lenses which was much cheaper than the likes of the SL. Diminishing returns are mentioned,  but I found the modification to give a very large return for a modest outlay considering the cost of the lenses themselves. Whether this is true of Nikon Z remains to be seen, which is what LCT is interested in.

Edited by sinjun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It may have been passed unnoticed but this thread is about M lenses on Nikon Z cameras. Not about Sony Kolari modifications etc. You can buy whatever you fancy, I really don't care.

The Z7 sensor stack is quite thin, actually also lacking an AA filter, which the Z6 apparantly has. Presently the word is that the Z7 is the best off-the-shelf non-Leica camera for M lenses from any manufacturer. I use anything from 35mm upwards wide open with no issues. My 21 SE is fine (read: good enough for me) from about f5.6 or f8. There is a thread at FredMiranda (Alternate forum) on M lenses on Z bodies. If you are interested, take a peek.

The Z gives me IBIS, access to a proper flash system and access to a proper lens selection on top of the M lenses in a quite small package. That is why I chose it. Damn - the Z7 with the Kit Zoom has about the size of the Olympus EM1 with its 12-40/2.8. As always, your milage may vary.

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, Photon42 said:

It may have been passed unnoticed but this thread is about M lenses on Nikon Z cameras. Not about Sony Kolari modifications etc. You can buy whatever you fancy, I really don't care.

Thank you for all the loving care :D but this thread could be about Nikon Kolari modifications also no?

57 minutes ago, lct said:

Thank you for all the loving care :D but this thread could be about Nikon Kolari modifications also no?

Perhaps photon42 doesn’t know that Kolari modifies Nikon Z's as well. Since the stock Z does so well with adapted lenses I think the mod is rare. I can't seem to find any example shots from a Kolari-modified Nikon online.  As a matter of fact,  I reached out to Kolari and asked them if they knew of any examples online and they did not.  They could only say that “..our users have found that performance with legacy lenses is greatly improved..”   Still, I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.    Anyway, I think if one intends to put M lenses on a Nikon then this modification is relevant and I would love to hear input from anyone who has experience with this modification on the Z.     Does anyone know of any real world examples?

Edited by yukio
  • Thanks 1

Nikon Z7, Summicron 28mm asph. V1, F8, Silver efex

Regards,

Edgard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by eddds
  • Like 1

First, Nikon Z7, Summicron 28mm asph. V1 

2nd Monochrom M246, same lens.

Regards,

Edgard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Photon42 said:

I felt my 28 Summicron leaves a bit to desire in the corners when mounted on the Z7. What is your experience, if you zoom in?

I did not try it on larger apertures, but at F8 I find it's very sharp.

Enclosing 2 100% crops from the image above. (please click on the image for better viewing).

• Thanks 1

I have had my Z7 for 2 months now and  tested most of my M-lenses from 15 mm to 135 mm. I have noticed some problems with the widest lenses and I think that the M10 may give a slightly "better" image (less corner smearing, the vignetting is easy to fix in post) when you use these lenses wide open. In my case it is a Voigtlander Super Helier 15/4.5 ver ii and a Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8. But if you close down to f8 or f11 there is no advantage for the M10 and the higher resolution with the Z7 takes over if you do landscape. I made a series of images today with the Voigtlander and here is an example shot at f8 or f11. Handheld at 1/60 sec., ISO 450.

Edited by stickan1

• 1 year later...

this week i did a comparison of the WATE on the Z7 vs. the 14-30mm Nikkor Z.

Both at 16mm, same white balance.

Nikkor Z:

WATE:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DirkR440 said:

this week i did a comparison of the WATE on the Z7 vs. the 14-30mm Nikkor Z.

Both at 16mm, same white balance.

Nikkor Z:

WATE:

Which aperture were you using if i may ask?