Availability: SL 75, 90 and 16-35

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both the 75 and 90 SL.  The 75 I purchased from the Leica Boston store, and the 90 from the Leica Ginza store when I was traveling in Japan 2 weeks ago.  I wrote about the autofocusing frustrations I encountered with the 90 on a separate thread in this forum today.  I have an order in for the 16-35.  Currently, I'm using the Canon version of this zoom but would prefer a native SL lens.  

• Like 1

The 16-35 has arrived in the U.S.  I received mine Friday.  (D.C.)

Extremely quick reaction based on extremely limited usage: The extra 8mm between16mm and the 24-90's starting point seems far more profound in action than it does as an abstract set of numbers; it makes me remember, happily, the WATE, which I traded in some time ago for... something.  It is just enough lighter and smaller than the 24-90 to warrant notice.  Thank you, Leica, for the courtesy of extending the SL zoom range with all three lenses needing the same 82mm ND and polarizing filters (may be the first thing Leica has done in my experience to reduce the user's out-of-pocket expenses.)

Anyway, very short amount of usage in my backyard this weekend makes me very glad to have completed the zoom lens cycle for the SL.  I think I'm done buying SL lenses now, as the M primes work so well...

Would you - or others - provide some test shots of the corner sharpness at 16mm, 24mm and 35mm, the latter two in comparison with e.g. the 24-90SL, wide open and otherwise at similar f-stops (f5.6 and/or f8)...? For instance with a distant horizon tilting 45 degrees. Such comparisons will be part of reviews, I image, but a quick comparison would be interesting. At least for those on the fence...

Timkr I got the canon 16-35 and use it with the adaptor, I haven't inspected pixels yet but the auto focus is good, hunting occasionally in low light even with f2.8, however overall its pretty good. 

i'm just waiting for a SL 16-35 review about how good it is to make me want to trade my car for it too :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had pre-ordered this lens (16-35) and expected, on advice from the store, to wait another six weeks for it. Browsing the net last night I found the Leica Store in Manchester was advertising that they had the lens in stock. I bought it on line then called the store this morning half expecting that the lens had gone and the website was not showing the up to date stock position - which has happened at other stores before now. Pleasantly surprised to learn that the lens had been packed and was on the way to me. Now very excited for the long weekend!

Edited by Mr WelshB
  • Like 2

I had pre-ordered this lens (16-35) and expected, on advice from the store, to wait another six weeks for it. Browsing the net last night I found the Leica Store in Manchester was advertising that they had the lens in stock. I bought it on line then called the store this morning half expecting that the lens had gone and the website was not showing the up to date stock position - which has happened at other stores before now. Pleasantly surprised to learn that the lens had been packed and was on the way to me. Now very excited for the long weekend!

Ditto with Leica Mayfair when I got my 75/2 SL a few months ago ..... a few days after release. Just looked on the off chance and they showed 2 in stock and ordered on line and collected the next day.

It looks as if they have abandoned the ‘waiting list’ which in my past experience was something of a fantasy - they would happily sell you anything if you happened to be in the shop when they had stock ....... saved them the irritation of phoning around to ask if it was still wanted.

I had been checking daily ...... but as I left for Montenegro yesterday at 3am. you beat me to it .....

Edited by thighslapper

Ditto with Leica Mayfair when I got my 75/2 SL a few months ago ..... a few days after release. Just looked on the off chance and they showed 2 in stock and ordered on line and collected the next day.

It looks as if they have abandoned the ‘waiting list’ which in my past experience was something of a fantasy - they would happily sell you anything if you happened to be in the shop when they had stock ....... saved them the irritation of phoning around to ask if it was still wanted.

I had been checking daily ...... but as I left for Montenegro yesterday at 3am. you beat me to it .....

It does seem to be luck as you say - right place and right time and stores will sell. I got the 50 In almost the same way a while back when visiting New York for work - popped in to the Leica store just as they were taking delivery of their first two. They were more than happy to sell one on the spot.

BTW when I spoke to the Manchester store this morning they had just had another 75 in and a 90 and they were expecting more 16-35. They said they had not had so much trouble getting allocations of stock for these releases. Hope you bag yours soon!

My seller, Popflash, already has an expected arrival date next week for their second 16-35.  They're not a Leica Store with red white and black colors, just a former bricks and mortar place now dealing primarily on the internet, located out in the flammable hinterlands of Los Angeles.  But I have claimed it, and now have to figure out how to get it to me or me to it.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

Just arrived and unboxed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Just arrived and unboxed

You will not be disappointed... Hard to imagine how to make a technically better lens without reaching an astronomical price tag. Yes, the 16-35 is expensive, I don't claim otherwise, but the lens looks like a long-term keeper for me. I can only vaguely imagine the rendering of the 16-35 on a 40+ mp SL2 sensor. Enjoy!

• Like 1

You will not be disappointed... Hard to imagine how to make a technically better lens without reaching an astronomical price tag. Yes, the 16-35 is expensive, I don't claim otherwise, but the lens looks like a long-term keeper for me. I can only vaguely imagine the rendering of the 16-35 on a 40+ mp SL2 sensor. Enjoy!

I must say I am delighted when I got my SL16-35 yesterday May 4th.

Lighter & slightly shorter than 24-90.

Very impressive IQ and reasonably fast AF (in same class like SL75 Cron).

The lens is BNIB, properly sealed in grey box (not a QE unit).

Thanks be to God for His Grace enabling my to afford this fairly pricey zoom.

Cheers to my resourceful dealer I received this lens so quickly in Singapore.

Benedict

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bencychin
  • Like 2

I must say I am delighted when I got my SL16-35 yesterday May 4th.

Lighter & slightly shorter than 24-90.

Very impressive IQ and reasonably fast AF (in same class like SL75 Cron).

The lens is BNIB, properly sealed in grey box (not a QE unit).

Thanks be to God for His Grace enabling my to afford this fairly pricey zoom.

Cheers to my resourceful dealer I received this lens so quickly in Singapore.

Benedict

Congratulations to your new lens!

I've not pick mine from Leica Store SG/fulleton after they informed me on arrival last Thursday morning. Likely to pick it up tomorrow.

Enjoy your lens! I'm certain it is one of the finest 16-35mm zoom lens money can buy today.

It is also my rational to stick to Leica systems over other camera makes for high IQ lenses.

Granted there are other FF & MF cameras with better AF capability & higher resolution sensors in the market available today. However the Leica SL system has provided a competent & versitile AF FF camera system covering 16-280mm focal length. As a user, I am delighted to find the SL gotten better today than it was first released 30 months ago through continue firmware improvements. Off camera flash wireless trigger & flash system dedicated to Leica cameras will be made available over the coming few weeks providing users more avenues to creatively & precisely add & control light according to desire comparable to the major camera brands today provided by mutiple third party vendors. With more new SL native lenses coming and SL2 replacement likely over next 18mths, the Leica SL mirrorless camera system looks competent to keep itself competitive in the market place.

• Like 4

Finally took home the 16-35mm SVE today to join into my SL lens kit below:

41882179582_f83e4917f4_k.jpgL1000550 by sillbeers15

Took this shot handheld after leaving Leica Store SG this morning along Singapore River:

41882184472_60f7a5a7b1_k.jpgL1000046 by sillbeers15

Two Interior shots taken below together with off camera flashes to test the lens:

28055316958_ae17938103_k.jpgL1000073 by sillbeers15

27056773017_c740e2599f_k.jpgL1000078 by sillbeers15

• Like 6

Finally took home the 16-35mm SVE today to join into my SL lens kit below:

41882179582_f83e4917f4_k.jpgL1000550 by sillbeers15

Took this shot handheld after leaving Leica Store SG this morning along Singapore River:

41882184472_60f7a5a7b1_k.jpgL1000046 by sillbeers15

Two Interior shots taken below together with off camera flashes to test the lens:

28055316958_ae17938103_k.jpgL1000073 by sillbeers15

27056773017_c740e2599f_k.jpgL1000078 by sillbeers15

Looks good...

Quite the collection of glass too :)