Anyone think of buying M8 again?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My everyday camera is the wonderfully M. But sometimes I take the M8.2 to make some iR Fotos.

The resolution is not the best, but normaly I am very happy with the results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

actually i am thinking about getting an M8 with a 40 lens to take on vacation to northern africa. the price of an M8 is only few more than insurance for my M10 with 35/2 for this jhourney would cost. and when i am happy to bring it back, i can even resell it. (well, actually, i only could as i sure wouldnt sell it again...)

I just did it two days ago. As I shoot mostly b&w with my 240, I said that I really need to try the CCD sensor. And when I had the chance to pay USD 1,200.00 for a M8.2 with a CV 28mm f1.9, an Elmarit 90mm f2.8, an extra battery and the purchase invoice back in time from Red Dot Cameras London, I said to myself that this opportunity is a one in a lifetime. So here I am, ready to see what this toy can do.

• Like 4

I just did it two days ago. As I shoot mostly b&w with my 240, I said that I really need to try the CCD sensor. And when I had the chance to pay USD 1,200.00 for a M8.2 with a CV 28mm f1.9, an Elmarit 90mm f2.8, an extra battery and the purchase invoice back in time from Red Dot Cameras London, I said to myself that this opportunity is a one in a lifetime. So here I am, ready to see what this toy can do.

Welcome to the forum and to M8 ownership.

I also have an M-P 240 and an M8. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the M8 B&W compared to the 240.

Don't use an IR cut filter on the M8, if you want the best B&W output...

Ernst

• Like 1

I always preferred using an IR cut filter on my M8.2s, color or b/w.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/185706-use-of-ir-filters-for-m8-bw-photography/

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that was an interesting thread.

I experimented with and without IR cut for B&W. Overall (but not always) I preferred the results without the filter. The tonal quality seemed to be more subtle and more varied.

There have been quite a number of voices on here suggesting not to use the IR cut for B&W. I wonder what they found attractive when they didn't use it...

Ernst

• 2 weeks later...

There have been quite a number of voices on here suggesting not to use the IR cut for B&W. I wonder what they found attractive when they didn't use it...

first of all: that is the clue oft those filters: you can put them on and off - just as you please. it is only logical that there must be pros and cons for using the filter.

the 486 filter takes away some invisible-to-the-eye red light. this red light is mostly detected by the red channel of the sensor but also on the blue channel. this (sometimes) results in showing some kind of purple texture, where usually only black can be seen to the human eye. when converting this kind of pictures into B&W, dark textures keep some kind of texture instead of floating into deep black. this gives extra dynamic range for keeping the lights from washing out.

and thats about it.

at least it was for me. i hardly used my M8 with filters. and i never cared for colorpictures anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My everyday camera is the wonderfully M. But sometimes I take the M8.2 to make some iR Fotos.

The resolution is not the best, but normaly I am very happy with the results.

attachicon.gifL1005869_g02_klein.jpg

I think the resolution is good enough for A3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Sure if an M is necessarily a Leica M but If an M is a camera with an M mont and a rangefinder, the first digital M was the Epson R-D1. In that sense the M8.2 was my third digital M after an R-D1 and a R-D1s. Just to play with words ;).

• 1 month later...

If I could find an M8.2 in chrome for a good price I would leap on it! IMO, the best Leica digital M ever (and I also owned M8, M9-P and M-P 240). I really miss it when I travel overseas. Not the best for landscapes, but unparalleled for street shooting. I especially liked shooting at night with a fast lens and then converting to bw.

FYI, never a problem with any of my digital M's.

I just recently purchased a M8 in Chrome with only 4500 accentuations. My first Leica! Quite happy about it, since the camera is in almost mint condition and the price was good! 

If it should break, it breaks - I'm gonna use it as much as possible. The only thing I'm worried about is that the electronics at some point just "die" due to their age  :unsure:

Not quite sure about that... What is your guys opinion on the age of the M8 in terms of its longevity.

Best wishes,

Maximilian 

[post=https://www.instagram.com/max.fortner/]My photography on Intsgram[/post]