On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

Somewhat hot day even in late October so heatwaves visible using this longer lens combo.  The 400 DO is a great long lens for the SL cameras.  I tend to manual focus or use single point.  The back button does not eliminate front shutter button AF on the SL2 when using Canon lenses.  But I find MF easy and smooth with this combo even for fast movers.  Viewfinder helps focus pop.

DFW Airport in Dallas, Texas - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 400mm 4.0 DO IS II,  with EF 1.4x tele-extender, iso 400, 1/500th sec at f 8.0

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Same week in Texas.  Multishot revealed that this lens is a hair off with sharpness on the left third of the frame so I will be sending it back to Canon Professional Services for a re-alignment.  Center and right is VERY Sharp.  Multishot (although not used in this image) is the great revealer (or equalizer) for your techniques and optics... The lens has looked great at 20-50 mp previously but, when you always strive for high limits, gotta address it moving forward.

Headquarters in Dallas, Texas - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24mm 3.5 L II Tilt Shift, iso 200, 3 sec at f 13.0 on tripod with Heliopan Circular Polarizer.  2-shot stitch

Robb

Edited by robb
  • Like 3

Beautiful end of the day after lots of rain the days before.  The SL2 sensor really gives me nice colors.  I find that it"s blues want to go aqua-velva so they generally always require some slight desaturation and adding some points of purple.  The glass hot spot on the skyscraper was even worse without the polarizer, but I could not get it to go away even after 30 minutes passing in that spot.  Oh well.  Im not sure the VE 24-90 would have handled it any better, but it had not been delivered to me yet...  Gotta shoot with what you have.  I love the image regardless.

Boston, Massachusetts - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24-70mm 4.0 L IS at 28mm, iso 400, 1/100th sec at f 8.0 with Heliopan Circular Polarizer

Robb

Edited by robb
  • Like 10

I tried to keep this as clean as possible.  I had a few other images with more people and also including horizontal images (which I prefer), but this frame was my first choice.

George Washington Statue in Boston, Massachusetts - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24-70mm 4.0 L IS at 70mm, iso 200, 1/60th sec at f 8.0 with Heliopan Circular Polarizer

Robb

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The multishot version of this image clearly showed a party being thrown in one of the buildings windows.  But not all shots that night were perfect because of very slight vibration.  IS was off.  I wish Leica would allow multishot to be triggered from your iPhone using the app, but it will not allow multishot operation from there.  I'd also love a 10 or 12 second delay timer for the shutter as an option in multishot mode rather than 2 seconds.  Perhaps Leica could add this in future firmware.  The glaze from the lights on the ship were visible to the naked eye so it wasn't a lens or camera issue.  I look forward to adding the VE 90-280 lens soon which would have made these results even better, though the EF is pretty good.

Skyline in Boston, Massachusetts - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 70-200mm 4.0 L IS at 144mm, iso 800, 2/3rd sec at f 5.6  tripod with Multishot

Robb

• Like 12

Used a faster drive mode to catch the student's stride.  Also of note - Drive modes other than Low are not available with the EF lenses.  Will have to see if that changes using my grip and two batteries...  IBIS is also not available with my sigma MC-21 adapter with EF lenses.  Maybe I need to check firmware on the adapter.  Not sure.  Minimal perspective correction needed in Lightroom.  Great colors with this Leica lens and sensor.  Does not need much as far as adjustments.  

Visual Arts and Design School in Denton, Texas - Leica SL2 with with VE SL 24-90 asph, 26mm,  iso 200, 1/125th sec at f 8.0

Robb

• Like 5

A visit to the area after the California wildfires had finally been extinguished.  The IS and IBIS combo is really great although I have my minimum shutter set at 1/125th in general shooting unless I am trying to show motion.  

Beach at Lake Tahoe, Nevada - Leica SL2 with with VE SL 24-90 asph, 39mm,  iso 125, 1/125th sec at f 5.6

Robb

• Like 19

3 hours ago, robb said:

The SL2 sensor really gives me nice colors.  I find that it"s blues want to go aqua-velva so they generally always require some slight desaturation and adding some points of purple.

Hi Robb, You surely know your craft. No-nonsense, straight photography with a clear sense of colour and composition. No questions left. May I ask why you are using a Leica camera and lenses for your job? You using Canon glass suggests that Canon used to be your preferred photography equipment brand and many pro photographers stay loyal to Canon for many good reasons.

I'm wondering because I switched from Red to Canon to Leica on the moving picture side when my line of work started to incorporate more and more stills. When evaluating the market, I figured that Leica's colours are closest to what I'm looking for. Arri's Alexa (my preferred camera for moving pictures), for instance, shows similar aqua-velva blue tones in sky blue, which contrasts perfectly with skin tones. Canon and others, however, tend to offer a more ultramarine sky blue. I also love how Leicas render foliage. But skin tone is my measure of measures, and even there, I find Leica second to none and pretty close to the Arri. This all can be said about the SL-2S' video colours as well.

Thanks again for showcasing your work and insights. Much appreciated.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hansvons said:

Hi Robb, You surely know your craft. No-nonsense, straight photography with a clear sense of colour and composition. No questions left. May I ask why you are using a Leica camera and lenses for your job? You using Canon glass suggests that Canon used to be your preferred photography equipment brand and many pro photographers stay loyal to Canon for many good reasons.

I'm wondering because I switched from Red to Canon to Leica on the moving picture side when my line of work started to incorporate more and more stills. When evaluating the market, I figured that Leica's colours are closest to what I'm looking for. Arri's Alexa (my preferred camera for moving pictures), for instance, shows similar aqua-velva blue tones in sky blue, which contrasts perfectly with skin tones. Canon and others, however, tend to offer a more ultramarine sky blue. I also love how Leicas render foliage. But skin tone is my measure of measures, and even there, I find Leica second to none and pretty close to the Arri. This all can be said about the SL-2S' video colours as well.

Thanks again for showcasing your work and insights. Much appreciated.

Thanks for your kind words.  I took my first photography class in 1988 as an elective.  The “art” photography class was full so they said as an alternate I could take “Intro to Photojournalism” and the love affair began.  
Since then, I have owned and used many cameras really sticking to still photography.

List of Cameras owned in my Life:

Kodak disk 4000

Minolta XD-5

Canon F1n

Canon Eos 1

Canon Eos 630

Canon Eos RT

Canon Eos 1n

Canon Eos 1nRS

Canon Eos A2

Canon Eos A2e

Mamiya RB 67

Leica M6

Leica M6 .85

Leica M4p

Fuji GSW690

Fuji GW690

Fuji GX617

Konica Hexar fixed 35mm lens

Mamiya 7 (2)

Hasselblad 201F

Leica R8 (2)

Canon Eos 1ds

Canon Eos 1ds ii (2)

Canon Eos 1ds iii (2)

Leica D-lux 5

Panasonic Lx-2

Nikon D3x

Nikon D3S

Leica M8

Leica M8.2

Leica M9

Leaf Aptus ii 10

Contax 645

Cambo Wide RS

Nikon d800e

Canon Eos 1d mark IV

Fuji x100s

Leaf Credo 80

Canon 5d mk iii

Canon 1dx

Canon 1dx mk ii

Canon 5ds R

Phase One DF+

Phase One XF

Leica M 240-p (2)

Fuji x100v

Leica Q-P

Leica SL2

Cameras used extensively but not owned

Nikon F3

Nikon F5

Contax G2

Hasselblad x-pan

So I really appreciate all cameras and brands.  I think we are all in the same boat finding the perfect set of gear for each of our specialties.  When photography is your profession, and your mortgage is on the line, some factors come to play more than others.  I have found canon and Nikon professional services a great safety net when you need cameras or lenses back fixed fast.  Although I can also see that their stuff has always just worked for me without complaint.  I scraped up all my extra cash back in ‘88 and bought my first real camera.  Two used cameras of professional quality in the case.  One was a Nikon F3 that looked like it had been to a war zone and back.  The other a canon F1n that belonged to the local coroner who was moving on.  The canon was perfect and like new. So I went that direction.  Strongly favored canon then and also moved to the Eos 1 system with good autofocus back when it came out because of my pj work in sports and news.  Been heavily canon since then.  Added specialty cameras along the way for travel and commercial work.  My favorites were the Leica M6, Mamiya 7, and Fuji GX 617.  

Today, I think Leica and it’s alliance have moved the goalposts with dependability and features that other cameras don’t provide.  Multishot is one of those I love.  The User interface is just great.  When mirrorless first came out, I really had a problem with the Viewfinders and their resolution.  I stopped in to the Leica Gallery in Los Angeles back when the SL came out and I still didn’t like the viewfinder even though it broke new ground.  I hated the electronic viewfinders on my m-240 p’s also.  Not very useful.  I tried out Fuji, canon, and nikon’s new mirrorless viewfinders and really wanted to like them…  but I just couldn’t and wouldn’t settle.  Kept saying I’d wait til the next gen.  But tried the SL2 finally this year and thought they finally nailed it.  Bought it the next week.  I see no reason to shoot with the canon’s after my experience with the sl2.  Just adding lenses now and more bodies.  I’m all in and really enjoying it.  It may not offer everything Nikon, canon, or Fuji provide.  But it ticks all my boxes and I love the files, and user interface along with the glass.  As a professional working with Leica, it just requires for you to have more backups than the others because you can’t afford to be shut down 4 months at a time waiting on a service item.  

But the main reason I have shot with all Leica’s has always been the natural color and sharpness with bokeh.  Now with Multishot as one feature, I can generally leave the larger digital backs alone and condense what I am carrying.  I can also avoid tripods more often with IBIS even in lower light and have more flexibility with lens choices across all brands.  I find that I can also travel lighter with this system and it gives me options no other system gives me.  

I hope that answers some questions.  Exciting times for all of us.

Robb

Edited by robb
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, robb said:

Absolutely.

What an extensive list. And a comprehensive answer. Much appreciated. I can totally see Leica's EVF being pivotal to entering the SL system. Service is Leica's weak spot for sure. When working with Red for over a decade, I had several fatal sensor issues. The camera had to be sent back to the HQ in the US for repair with tons of customs hassles, an endeavour of 2 months. In that period, I had to rent, which cost me a fortune and completely defied ownership. With Canon, that was a much better experience. They had demo cameras that somewhat travelled from issue to issue, filling in the gap when in need. But you needed to know who to talk to. Leica should set up such a program for their professional customers. I'd happily pay a little premium.

Would like to learn more of our work, Robb.

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, robb said:

Thanks for your kind words.  I took my first photography class in 1988 as an elective.  The “art” photography class was full so they said as an alternate I could take “Intro to Photojournalism” and the love affair began.  
Since then, I have owned and used many cameras really sticking to still photography.

List of Cameras owned in my Life:

Kodak disk 4000

Minolta XD-5

Canon F1n

Canon Eos 1

Canon Eos 630

Canon Eos RT

Canon Eos 1n

Canon Eos 1nRS

Canon Eos A2

Canon Eos A2e

Mamiya RB 67

Leica M6

Leica M6 .85

Leica M4p

Fuji GSW690

Fuji GW690

Fuji GX617

Konica Hexar fixed 35mm lens

Mamiya 7 (2)

Hasselblad 201F

Leica R8 (2)

Canon Eos 1ds

Canon Eos 1ds ii (2)

Canon Eos 1ds iii (2)

Leica D-lux 5

Panasonic Lx-2

Nikon D3x

Nikon D3S

Leica M8

Leica M8.2

Leica M9

Leaf Aptus ii 10

Contax 645

Cambo Wide RS

Nikon d800e

Canon Eos 1d mark IV

Fuji x100s

Leaf Credo 80

Canon 5d mk iii

Canon 1dx

Canon 1dx mk ii

Canon 5ds R

Phase One DF+

Phase One XF

Leica M 240-p (2)

Fuji x100v

Leica Q-P

Leica SL2

Cameras used extensively but not owned

Nikon F3

Nikon F5

Contax G2

Hasselblad x-pan

So I really appreciate all cameras and brands.  I think we are all in the same boat finding the perfect set of gear for each of our specialties.  When photography is your profession, and your mortgage is on the line, some factors come to play more than others.  I have found canon and Nikon professional services a great safety net when you need cameras or lenses back fixed fast.  Although I can also see that their stuff has always just worked for me without complaint.  I scraped up all my extra cash back in ‘88 and bought my first real camera.  Two used cameras of professional quality in the case.  One was a Nikon F3 that looked like it had been to a war zone and back.  The other a canon F1n that belonged to the local coroner who was moving on.  The canon was perfect and like new. So I went that direction.  Strongly favored canon then and also moved to the Eos 1 system with good autofocus back when it came out because of my pj work in sports and news.  Been heavily canon since then.  Added specialty cameras along the way for travel and commercial work.  My favorites were the Leica M6, Mamiya 7, and Fuji GX 617.  

Today, I think Leica and it’s alliance have moved the goalposts with dependability and features that other cameras don’t provide.  Multishot is one of those I love.  The User interface is just great.  When mirrorless first came out, I really had a problem with the Viewfinders and their resolution.  I stopped in to the Leica Gallery in Los Angeles back when the SL came out and I still didn’t like the viewfinder even though it broke new ground.  I hated the electronic viewfinders on my m-240 p’s also.  Not very useful.  I tried out Fuji, canon, and nikon’s new mirrorless viewfinders and really wanted to like them…  but I just couldn’t and wouldn’t settle.  Kept saying I’d wait til the next gen.  But tried the SL2 finally this year and thought they finally nailed it.  Bought it the next week.  I see no reason to shoot with the canon’s after my experience with the sl2.  Just adding lenses now and more bodies.  I’m all in and really enjoying it.  It may not offer everything Nikon, canon, or Fuji provide.  But it ticks all my boxes and I love the files, and user interface along with the glass.  As a professional working with Leica, it just requires for you to have more backups than the others because you can’t afford to be shut down 4 months at a time waiting on a service item.  

But the main reason I have shot with all Leica’s has always been the natural color and sharpness with bokeh.  Now with Multishot as one feature, I can generally leave the larger digital backs alone and condense what I am carrying.  I can also avoid tripods more often with IBIS even in lower light and have more flexibility with lens choices across all brands.  I find that I can also travel lighter with this system and it gives me options no other system gives me.  

Robb

Excellent images Robb. It was the EVF that drew me to the SL system too. I have fond memories of using Film based SLR's as far back as the 70's and when everything finally went digital it seemed that camera companies had given up on providing a large and bright finder image along with far too much complexity in the menus.The Leica SL system puts all this right and I'm very happy to be on board.The last time I really got excited about a new camera was back around 1985 I think, when Minolta brought out their Af cameras ( a big thing at the time) so it's been a long wait for another camera to come along that made me sit up and take notice.That was the Leica SL but I held off purchasing for a few years and finally went for the SL2s. Best of all I'm now using all the M lenses which I held on to and they have a new lease of life. Exciting times indeed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a busy couple of weeks.  I was up in NYC to photograph a group of executives at a strategy session with portraits, meetings, and training.  Here are several of the portraits.  I used a seamless 7' backdrop set up about 6-7 feet behind a flat leather bench seat in a conference room.  Two Profoto Acute 600 AirS units with elinchrom octabank soft boxes.  The profoto air trigger worked just fine on the SL2.  I only shoot flash manually without TTL.  I really like the 75mm focal length for these types of images.  I think the 75 Summicron will be next up for a prime.  I fine-focussed all of these in the viewfinder zoomed in and did not rely on AF at all.  I will try out the facial recognition mode at some point but it was fairly easy to nail the eye using MF and the contrast detect.  These images needed almost no adjustments in Lightroom.  Better color than the Canon files with the strobes.  

Executive Portraits - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, set at 75 to 90mm,  iso 50, 1/250th sec at f 5.6

Robb

• Like 15

Thanks for the sharing.

50 Iso is tricky to use well. I am somewhat sad to report it is not the native ISO of the sensor, but using it wisely you do gain a large amount of DR in the shadows, it's logical.

What benefits did you see using this ISO and any tips and tricks about avoiding clipping highlights?

Main reason I went with iso 50 was to be able to shoot at f5.6 vs 8.0 for less depth of field which I wanted.  

My profoto packs were powered pretty much all the way down.  I just check highlights with some test shots so nothing blew out.  But I agree, I tend to go iso 200 outside to avoid clipping when I need to shoot quicker.  I guess some of it is how quickly you need to shoot.  Slower shooting for me can allow more options.

Robb

• Thanks 1

I’m going to add a fast wide for my sl2 and s.  Only using on these cameras as I am moving away from M bodies but still liking compactness without losing quality.

Which would you select out of this group:

M 28 1.4

M 35 1.4 asph pre fle

Zeiss ZM 35 1.4

Voigt 35 1.2 Nokton iii (likely would shoot at 1.4) - this seems to have a very dif color look - almost dingy on examples I have seen.

I like my Q-P also but sometimes need to go with smaller m type interchangeable lenses on the SL setups.  So for these, looking for sharpest around 1.4.  I can address CA in Lightroom.

thanks for any input.

Robb

Edited by robb