Anyone think of buying M8 again?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, boojum said:

Unfortunately I can't see the pictures because I'm told I don't have permission. 🙁

Pete.

13 hours ago, farnz said:

Unfortunately I can't see the pictures because I'm told I don't have permission. 🙁

Pete.

Permission can be had for a farthing.  LOL  I found the same when I tried to access the pages and will do what I can to fix that right now.  But you are still in it for a farthing.   ;o)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, boojum said:

There, fixed.  They were flagged as "private" on Flickr.  IIRC these are both with that lovely Canon 28mm LTM f/2.8.  It is good with color and good with B&W.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boojum said:

Permission can be had for a farthing.

If it was just a farthing then that would be fine but, as with all websites, to gain access the user has to give up personal information that the website uses to bombard the user with unwanted advertising and sell on to other sites etc.  I refuse to play that game anymore than I have to so, here, if I have to click through or register to view a picture then I won't.  YMMV. 🙂  

Pete.

Edited by farnz

19 minutes ago, farnz said:

If it was just a farthing then that would be fine but, as with all websites, to gain access the user has to give up personal information that the website uses to bombard the user with unwanted advertising and sell on to other sites etc...

That's strange to read, Farnz. I don't have any hurdles to leap; the images are displayed on my machine straight away. Nor do I have any Flickr / AnythingElse account.

The Canon 28 on the M8.2 does seem to perform in an excellent manner! I do miss my own 8.2 very much and still get the occasional urge to find another to replace it...

Philip.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

That's strange to read, Farnz. I don't have any hurdles to leap; the images are displayed on my machine straight away. Nor do I have any Flickr / AnythingElse account.

Hi Philip, it might be related to my using Chrome as a browser and the weird things it sometimes does; dunno.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I  got used M8 in prime condition need some enlightenment. Shutter dial goes up to 4000 as M8.2? In general looks as 8.2. Any suggestions,please?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The serial number shows it as a M8 from 2006.  The 4000 shutter shows that it was probably upgraded with M8.2 shutter and black leica badge.  Much the same as my M8 from 2006 (serial 3103911) which had the shutter replaced in 2009 and was returned with a black badge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joska said:

Also opposite of  pure, sweet, clean. Former owner informed me about it been upgraded in 2011 by Leica, tnx anyway

Enjoy! These were -and are- great cameras. Yes, Leica had an upgrade program back then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It should be self-licking like my cat...😸

If my car was 'self-licking' it would have indigestion!

The M8 was/is a great little camera. I still look at photographs taken on mine and enjoy them They lacked very little for low ISO shooting if they didn't need to be printed large (actually I used to sell prints from mine and they were surprisingly tolerant of printing to decent sizes.

• Like 3

My beloved M8 is in for service due to a misfortune that knocked the vertical rangefinder alignment out of whack. Of course, they isolated other fixes, so it should be better than new when  it returns. (It was already upgraded to 8.2 years earlier.)

I got mine upon its release in 2006 when I was a novice shooter. Curiously, one of the first portraits from those early days, shot for a class assignment, still leads my website today. Shot with my first M lens, the brilliant, affordable Summarit 75mm f2.5, what's not to love? As for the camera's black and white performance, widely parsed on this thread, it's all in the post-production in my opinion. But the CCD files are quite flexible.

Of course there are better cameras, and I own several, but there's something to be said for heritage. Together we have logged many miles of street photography. I'll continue shooting my M8 until I can't. 

PS: I also owned an M9, which had its own brand of magic. Unfortunately, sensor delamination led me to accept an upgrade to the SL, a camera ahead of its time when launched. Absolutely amazing. Though I miss the M9 and intend to get another.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

jheroun - your comment in Post #157: “I’ll continue shooting my M8 until I can’t.” This is excellent & exactly the way I feel.👍In fact, I was just using my M8 today & have enjoyed using it for the last 12 years. It was one of the first 1,400 M8’s produced.

• Like 3

Great to hear. It's a uniquely capable camera, despite its modest— by today's standards—10.3 megapixels. Though in the years 2001 to 2004—just prior to the M8 debut—Canon's top of the line pro body EOS-1D boasted only 3.35 to 6.3mp. And no one complained of lack of resolution (I was in magazine publishing, so I speak from experience.)

Meanwhile, in the continuing and largely futile megapixel arms race, Sony Rumors recently predicted two versions of a camera with 150 and 200mp is expected soon. I understand there may be some applications for that kind of firepower, though for most types of shooting, an M8-level machine does just fine.

I acquired the 37.5mp Leica S2 medium format when it launched, which at the time seemed over-the-top. In terms of resolving power, it still is more than enough. Because it's really about  lenses that are optimally matched to sensors, Leica's strength.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My leica journey started last year with a used Q. Soon a m8 followed for b/w. Then a mm for real b/w. The Q left, too wide for my liking, an SL came.

Except for being too wide, the Q was a perfect EDC. I replaced it with a griiix but don’t like its output.

Today I tried the m8 in colour (w/o filters) and I really enjoyed the output, so I decided to buy another m8. For EDC 10mp is more than enough and the shooting experience is so much nicer with a m …