On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started out as a news photographer for UPI and Reuters and did a lot of professional sports.  I think carrying a lot of heavy lenses with multiple cameras with drives and long fast glass got me started.

then transitioned to commercial work during the film days where you had to carry a 35mm system and 6x7 system along with 6x17 or 4x5.  And lights.  So the amount of gear to carry went up.  

with digital backs and digital full frame, the gear a commercial shooter had to to bring went down in quantity but was still hefty.

drone photography added another group of things to carry.

i feel lucky with full frame mirrorless and Hassy x2d systems to be carrying all I need in one roller bag now with a large satchel.  

because I came with this background of lots of gear, two sl2 with 3 apo and a zoom feels like nothing.  But I am more selective today of what I grab from the “armory” so I can shoot lighter and smarter… no Sherpa’s needed.  

Robb 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

My apologies on lack of posting in my main thread.  

It has been full speed ahead as the year has unfolded since Jan…

I was on the road last two weeks in Jan, all of Feb, and two weeks in March.  So I was looking for a bit of downtime.

I’ll post up some new images very soon.

As leica news goes, I updated my Q-p to a Q2 to share the battery compatibility with the SL2 and al2-s bodies.  Added a canon 200 f2 with sigma adapter and a 600 f4 ii also with the sigma adapter.  Sold my 400 do ii to make way for these.  Continuous AF is not possible with the adapter and the sl2 cameras but it’s easy to manual focus with peaking and single af is fine.  Sharp glass for sure.  

I was asked to shoot a lot of video the last two months so I have been using my two sl2-s cameras in cine mode the whole time and had mixed the footage with my DJI mavic 3 drone and the new DJI osmo pocket 3 with the small form factor with its gimbal.  The leica footage looks great and I just love going back and forth with the apo summicrons on these bodies using variable nd filters on the front.  

I’ve also used them for interviews mic’d up that have also gone well.  I dove right in.  I would anticipate that about 80% of my work will remain with still coverage each year.

and the big news was that I just added in Feb the DJI ronin 4D cine camera with an L mount adapter using the 28,50, and 90 apo lenses in particular.  Shooting Adobe pro res raw in 6k.  Truly enjoyable shooting with it, the large monitor and the Leica glass.  The focus works great with the built in lidar system and the manual focus when chosen is like butter…

I just returned from a week in Alberta Canada again doing some video (and still) work on different construction and fabrication sites up there in the snow.  I used the sl2-s cameras outside everyday in -10c and blowing wet snow.  No problems with these and the apo summicrons.  I used the ronin 4D with apo summicrons indoors around all sorts of welding and grinding and pipe assembly.  I was very pleased.  Lots of big files from it.  

i also received the new Leica double battery charger and it does fine but may seem to charge a bit slower that the normal units although it is about the same size as the single chargers.so I may need to experiment with the power plug choices for it.

So… happy Easter to everyone and I’ll do my best to share my latest work and experiences in more detail very soon.  

on the road again to Texas next week and then Vegas the next.

Robb

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, robb said:

Project Manager in San Antonio, Texas - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 75mm Asph, iso 100, 1/250th at f 4.0 with Profoto B10 and Elinchrom octa

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful subject and classy portrait. Congrats.

• Like 1

Astoria Hot Springs in Jackson, Wyoming - Leica Q2 with Summilux SL 28mm Asph, iso 50, 1/13th at f 16.0 with Heliopan circular polarizer handheld

Robb

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Outdoor Ice Rink under sun shades in Victor, Colorado - Leica SL2-s with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24mm 3.5 L II Tilt Shift, iso 500, 1/125th sec at f 5.6 with Heliopan circular polarizer

Robb

• Like 1

Outdoor Ice Rink in Victor, Colorado - Leica SL2-s with APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4, iso 6400 at 186mm, 1/250th at f 3.5

Robb

• Like 3

Solar Facility Automated Piling Installation in Mojave, California - Leica SL2-s with APO Summicron SL 90mm Asph, iso 800, 1/125th at f 5.6

Robb

• Like 3

Pipeline Maintenance in Alberta, Canada - Leica SL2-s with APO Summicron SL 50mm Asph, iso 400, 1/60th at f 6.3

Robb

• Like 4

Electrical Engineer in Aurora, Colorado - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 90mm Asph, iso 100, 1/250th at f 4.0

Robb

• Like 9

Finance Officer in Dallas, Texas - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 90mm Asph, iso 100, 1/160th at f 2.0

Robb

• Like 7

Screw Piling Installation in Alberta, Canada - Leica SL2-s with APO Summicron SL 28mm Asph, iso 100, 1/800th at f 4.0

Robb

• Like 3

Great Robb, the portraits are amazing especially the electrical engineer. You have great skills to squeeze every bit of image quality from the combination - Apo SL 90 with the SL2S. 

I just love my SL2S and it's only because I know its sensor qualities that I have ordered and paid for the SL3. 

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Traveling very light to Texas for 4 days rest of this week.

Portraits in Houston, construction and aerials between San Antonio and El Paso.

taking the Q2, sl2, 50 and 90 apo with a b10 and mavic 3 in one wandrd backpack.

Robb

• Like 3