On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a couple of weeks with a couple of projects to photograph.  I shot with both the SL2 and SL2-S cameras and after putting the finished dng's into the same working folder, realized I needed to change the prefix letter on each camera to be different to avoid similar file names...

Ramp Activity, Scottsdale, Arizona - Leica SL2-S with VE SL 24-90 asph, 90mm,  iso 200, 1/320th sec at f 5.6, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by robb

The previous angle was from the control tower's outdoor catwalk.  This angle was from ground level on the opposite side of the runway.  I think I favor working with the SL2-S if resolution is not an issue.  I used it in low light and the high iso grain (around 6400) was just fine.  I think the SL2-S color is just a bit more my perfect style although it is similar to the SL2.  There is less for me to adjust overall with the SL2-S and no worries about highlights.

Aircraft Fueling Operations in Scottsdale, Arizona - Leica SL2-S with APO Summicron SL 35mm Asph, iso 100, 1/640th at f 2.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Edited by robb

High iso had a nice grain and held up just fine even past this at 4000.  My focussing point hit his far eye in focus.  I would have preferred the closer eye but it worked out fine.  Quick focus falloff with this design had me wondering if a 1.4 would ever be needed with the SL2-S.  Bokeh seemed very nice.  Colors were great.  I also liked the instrument reflections in the varnished wood cabinets to the right...  I hope Leica can get a 24 or 21 SL APO summicron out soon.

Challenger 350 Pilot in Scottsdale, Arizona - Leica SL2-S with APO Summicron SL 35mm Asph, iso 4000, 1/125th at f 2.0

I also shot some prelim b-roll video with the SL2-S and definitely preferred shooting with the two zooms over the primes for framing versatility.  All of the Leica glass is simply stellar and rewarding to shoot.

Ramp Activity, Scottsdale, Arizona - Leica SL2-S with VE SL 24-90 asph, 88mm,  iso 200, 1/800th sec at f 5.6, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Edited by robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Different project to photograph a park for an Urban Land Institute award submittal.  I'm glad the image stabilization works so well.  There was some subject movement in some of the photos.  I should have adjusted the iso up to be higher but this scene came up quicker than I had planned.  

Civic Space Park in Phoenix, Arizona - Leica SL2 with APO VE SL 90-280 asph, 188mm,  iso 200, 1/40th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

It's about time the airports in NYC are getting a new start... I was brought on to show the new facilities for the engineers and architects.  

Laguardia Airport Terminal B in Queens, New York - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 17mm 4.0 L Tilt Shift, iso 800, 1/60th sec at f 5.6 handheld

Robb

Edited by robb

A different project in NYC for engineers / architects. 

The Vessel at Hudson Yards in New York City, New York - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 17mm 4.0 L Tilt Shift, iso 100, 1/100th sec at f 8.0 on tripod via multishot

Robb

On my way over to Portland to photograph another round of corporate interiors and a few informal portraits.  Will hopefully get something posted from that shoot soon.

Travelling very light for this one night stop with only one tumi carry on aluminum case.  

SL2

RRS tripod L plate

6 batteries with one charger

75 summicron

24-90

Tilt Shift 24 and 17 with Sigma adapter.

heliopan circular polarizers

Compact gitzo CF tripod

small Arca ball head

sd cards in case

newswear pouches and belt

change of clothes

ipad

headphones

Edited by robb

About 20' from windows with overcast skies and overhead LED strips in typical office workspace.  The 75 and 35 SL summicron's will never, ever leave my bag... just sayin.

Transportation Designer in Seattle, Washington - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 75mm Asph, iso 200, 1/40th at f 2.0

Robb

3 hours ago, Slender said:

How happy are you with Zeiss 35 1.4 on SL2 🤔😇??? :)

I think it’s a very easy lens to use on the Sl2 and sl2-s.

very sharp.  Lighter than SL primes and zooms.  Main issue is that background blur doesn’t seem any different from SL 35 summicron.  So it may be a redundant lens if you also have the summicron although Zeiss is 1/3rd cost… Remember you have to select a lens from the list each time you attach to the camera with the M adapter so it has a slower time to put on before shooting.  

but if you want a lighter load, it’s the winner.

also something very satisfying using the cameras with MF M lenses and focus zoom/peaking.  
Robb

• 2 weeks later...

Great new space under downtown San Fran.  I created most of these images with multi shot.  I look forward to the opening at some point in the future with the space packed with bustling activity.

Future Central Subway in San Francisco, California - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 62mm,  iso 800, 1/80th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been busy with some corporate bank interiors in the Lake Tahoe area, and have spent the last two weeks with many projects in Florida.

I get a kick out of this realization.  I don’t really ever chimp anymore with the sl2.  I used to quite a bit with my canon dslr’s.

I know what I am going to get with the Leica mirrorless because of using the great evf and rear live screen view along with the histogram.

So anyway.  More like an old school film experience but having less surprises.  Not exactly M10-D but dif from dslr…

I do need to buy a remote for my multishot images so I don’t have to use the 2 second delay timer…  that messes up some of the timing on my shots with people or vehicles.

But all in, I am shooting well, chimping far less, and still making nice images paying the bills.

But less AF with fast moving targets unless prefocusing and preframing.  Which I am ok with my style.

Life is good.  Will post some new images soon.

Robb

• 2 weeks later...

New 50 1.0 Nokton arrived couple of weeks ago and has been sitting at the post office waiting for me to get back from the latest road-trip to add it to the bag.

Nice packaging and included hood.  Lens is very well made, smooth and solid.  Feels like a hand grenade but smaller than Leica Noct’s.

It will be a great add to carry with the 24-90 and 90-280 as a really fast portrait lens since the others are quite opposite.  I’ll also grab it to go between the SL summicrons since it’s also 2 stops faster.

I think it will be the one lens always on me and others will rotate around it.  I’ll post some photos soon using it…

Robb

I really enjoy the resolution possible in multishot mode, but also the benefit of a lighter weight system than a digital back or larger format...

Jackson West Medical Center in Miami, Florida - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 37mm,  iso 100, 1/160th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer in multishot mode on tripod.

Robb

Great color balance using the Leica glass.  I do not spend much time on color adjustments during processing.

The Pointe, Margaritaville Resort in Nassau, Bahamas - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 24mm,  iso 200, 1/200th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Very, Very sharp zoom...  I don't normally shoot stopped sown like this (likely moving too quickly to grab this and was distracted) but the image still worked out with the IS and IBIS.  

The Pointe, Margaritaville Resort in Nassau, Bahamas - Leica SL2 with APO- VE SL 90-280, 122mm,  iso 200, 1/50th sec at f 11.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb