On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M 28 1.4: out. You've got already the Q

M 35 1.4 asph pre fle: good investment, prices will only increase. Legendary lens. I'd take that.

Zeiss ZM 35 1.4: not as good of an investment. Colours said to be popping (don't have personal experience). Generally, Zeiss renders too cold for me.

Voigt 35 1.2 Nokton iii (likely would shoot at 1.4) - this seems to have a very dif color look - almost dingy on examples I have seen: you've ruled it out already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Slender said:

21 f3.4 🙃 or 18 f3.8.... 35 doesnt count as "wide" IMHO.

I believe yours is the opinion of a minority.

"A lens is considered wide-angle when it covers the angle of view between 64° and 84° which in return translates to 35–24mm lens in 35mm film format"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-angle_lens

"A wide-angle lens has a focal length of 35mm or shorter, which gives you a wide field of view"

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/wide-angle-lens.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SrMi said:

"A wide-angle lens has a focal length of 35mm or shorter, which gives you a wide field of view"

It's all down to personal interpretation, but 35mm is arguably closer to normal than 50mm. That is, if you define normal as the diagonal of the format (43mm). Lots of photographers have used a 35 as their "normal" lens over the past century, so the argument is not just theoretical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

It's all down to personal interpretation, but 35mm is arguably closer to normal than 50mm. That is, if you define normal as the diagonal of the format (43mm). Lots of photographers have used a 35 as their "normal" lens over the past century, so the argument is not just theoretical.

Most manufacturers (checked with Leica, Nikon, Sigma, Fuji online sites) consider 35mm to be wide angle in their documentations. Erwin Puts also thought of 35mm as wide angle lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's why I used IMHO, partner.

"In My Humble Opinion" , as to avoid summoning (((people pulling out))) Wikipedia links or terrible E.Puts words salads on the table 😅.

Sometimes I can't honestly distinguish between 35 or 50mm shots, whereas past 28 and below, you can tell straight away in most cases.

Edited by Slender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Am 25.11.2021 um 22:06 schrieb robb:

I’m going to add a fast wide for my sl2 and s.  Only using on these cameras as I am moving away from M bodies but still liking compactness without losing quality.

Which would you select out of this group:

M 28 1.4

M 35 1.4 asph pre fle

Zeiss ZM 35 1.4

Voigt 35 1.2 Nokton iii (likely would shoot at 1.4) - this seems to have a very dif color look - almost dingy on examples I have seen.

I like my Q-P also but sometimes need to go with smaller m type interchangeable lenses on the SL setups.  So for these, looking for sharpest around 1.4.  I can address CA in Lightroom.

thanks for any input.

Robb

I love the 28/1.4 , but I use it more on my M10r. Nowadays I use 28mm more often than 35mm, because I also like 50mm and believe 35mm is a little close to 50, and also 28mm is nice in tight situation and includes a bit more surrounding/action.

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went out with my friend last week and shot with his 35 1.4 ZM lens on the SL2 and SL2-s.  I thought it was crazy sharp and the background looked great at 1.4.  So done deal and ordered one.   Hopefully it will arrive around Christmas.  Great combo with my M 90mm APO.

Also pre-ordered the new Voigtlander 50mm f 1.0 coming out in January from CameraQuest / Stephen Gandy.  I think that lens also looks to be a winner and will give me some looks.

Robb

• Like 1

Photographed a plastic surgeon's office last week to show new staff added since Covid.  This individual obviously was not in need of their services.  First time shooting with the SL2-S. I really liked the operation and files.  The IBIS was great with the M 90...

Marketing Professional in Salt Lake City, Utah - Leica SL2-S with M APO 90mm Summicron asph, iso 200, 1/40th sec at f 2.0

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

My buddy shot this of me in a hotel atrium.  Lot of mixed lighting with cloudy overcast from outside the roof glass and lots of fluorescents, incandescent and LED's... So color is a bit all over the spectrum.  Hat created some shadows on my face and center of shirt to work on.  Focus was ok mainly on my eyebrows - but a bit front focussed between them and middle of my nose.  Not as razor sharp as the previous office photo.  But always happy to have examples of me aging gracefully.  The good news is the M APO 90 is quite a sharp lens so will help up your game on fine focussing.  I find manual focussing the M lenses on the SL2 / S cameras a great experience.

(Self) Portrait in Washington, DC - Leica SL2 with M APO 90mm Summicron asph, iso 400, 1/125th sec at f 2.0 (although the aperture was only estimated in the file info at 3.4, it was actually set at 2.0).

Robb

Nice Background blur.  I think I was close to minimum focussing with this lens shot wide open.  This lens was cooler rendering than the Leica's I think.  I had to add a warming filter after initial color balance in Lightroom to get the effect closer to my other Leica glass.

Great Friend in Washington, DC - Leica SL2 with Zeiss ZM 35mm Distagon, iso 200, 1/60th sec at f 1.4

• Like 2

And switching lenses the other direction.  Eyebrows seem to be what I focus on... and are CRAZY sharp.  Love this lens.  Background looks great.

Great Friend in Washington, DC - Leica SL2 with M APO 90mm Summicron asph, iso 1250, 1/125th sec at f 2.0

• Like 1

And back to project photography.  Mostly interiors of the new architecture with overcast weather but sun broke through at the end of the day for some of the exteriors.  

Reagan Airport Secure National Hall in Arlington, Virginia - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 26mm,  iso 200, 1/100th sec at f 5.6

Robb

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Back in November, two interiors out of 13 shot that day.  No multi shot on this shoot.  Just kept it at 47mp size.  Looking at some previous images where I used multishot uncovered that this lens was very sharp on the right side of the frame but fell a little shorter in the same sharpness on the left side.  So I sent the lens back to Canon Professional Services for a re-alignment this week.  Should be back sometime next week.  The 24 tilt shift is one of my desert island lenses.  I just enjoy using it so much.  Very happy that it works so well on the SL2 with sigma adapter.

Office in Raleigh, North Carolina - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24mm 3.5 L II Tilt Shift, Both shot at iso 200, 2 sec at f 11.0 on tripod with Heliopan Circular Polarizer.  

Robb

• Like 6

My new Zeiss ZM 35 1.4 arrived.  Smooth focusing and nice build quality.  I look forward to shooting it to get a feel over the holidays.  Should be a great combo with my M 90 APO.
Pre-ordered the brand new Voigtlander VM 50mm 1.0 asph to arrive in Jan.  
Adding the 90-280 and 35/75 SL summicrons in Jan also so should be full speed ahead for 2022.  Exciting times to be a photographer.  
Robb

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp and fast M lens duo for traveling fairly light with the SL2.  I’m still waiting on the 50 1.0 from Voigt

Robb

• Like 1

ZM 35 F1.4 is my favorite lens for the M mount. Richly saturated colors and lovely rendering - sharp but bever harsh.

Works very well on the SL2 as well, though SL 35 wide open naturally in hard to beat if edge to edge sharpness is needed. However, with the ZM wide open, central part is stellar on the SL2 and by F4.0 or so it is competitive with the SL 35 - astounding for a non-native lens from more than a decade ago.  

• Like 1

Ordered the 90-280 today with one of my coupons.  Can’t wait for it to arrive.  I have an outdoor park in downtown Phoenix to photograph once the college students return for the new semester.  35 and 75 next week.
Robb