Anyone think of buying M8 again?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Today I tried the m8 in colour (w/o filters) and I really enjoyed the output, so I decided to buy another m8.

I know that another member said that he doesn't use use UV/IR filters on his M8 and linked to some pictures of his as support but the high proportion of infra-red wavelengths will show up as magenta in many black, synthetic fabrics and as yellowish foliage.

I shoot infra-red pictures by hand with my M8, which indicates just how high the proportion of infra-red gets through the Kodak KAF-10500 sensor's built-in IR filter - much more than other cameras.

Pete.

@farnzthanks Pete. I knew about the blacks but didn’t had that problem yet, the yellowish foliage I noticed yesterday while preparing images for print. I thought it was due to my profile in c1.

I will wait for the prints to return and decide based on them.

And though I do have already one m8, the feeling of a second one ease’s my mind. I am always afraid I would not be able to replace mine, which is actually a silly thought.

The problem with the M8 (or M8.2) is that one can get used to its false colours sans IR-cut filter. At the time of the M8's launch some people were claiming that there is no such thing as absolute black and that the magenta tint of some black fabrics could be perfectly normal. This was not the case at all. These are false colours and the simple fact of using a UV/IR filter easily demonstrates this. Same for yellowish foliage but you have noticed it already. In the pics below everything should be black except the dark blue belt and the red Leitz logo. Left sans IR-cut filter, right with an inexpensive one (Rocolax IIRC).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks all for your input. Till now I only used the m8 for b/w so did not even care about color.

Tomorrow I receive the prints so then I can see things on paper.

May be I should opt for a m9(m) instead.

So, I received my prints. Colour I could partially manage / accept with a good profile in c1.

However, the difference between my m8 and m9m is huge. The details and tonality of the latter is wonderful.

I guess I better try to find another m9m.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/24/2022 at 9:19 PM, farnz said:

I know that another member said that he doesn't use use UV/IR filters on his M8 and linked to some pictures of his as support but the high proportion of infra-red wavelengths will show up as magenta in many black, synthetic fabrics and as yellowish foliage.

I shoot infra-red pictures by hand with my M8, which indicates just how high the proportion of infra-red gets through the Kodak KAF-10500 sensor's built-in IR filter - much more than other cameras.

Pete.

And, because of the out-of-focus IR part of the image, the images are not as sharp as they could be.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2022 at 6:35 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

Instead of a m9 I found a m10. Life is full of surprises 😎

Great with M10 but you vil be short of georgics Kodachrome CCD images. I don't use my M 240 since I got M8

Edited by Joska
Try uploading M240 image for comparison

11 minutes ago, Joska said:

Great with M10 but you vil be short of georgics Kodachrome CCD images. I don't use my M 240 since I got M8

Two with M240,  great but lack of film feel

17 minutes ago, Joska said:

Your image is experiencing strong banding in the skies and reddish tones.

2 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Your image is experiencing strong banding in the skies and reddish tones.

I see it too.  I'd call it "posterisation", which suggests that it's happened during post-processing.  Still not a good advertisement for the M8's CCD sensor vs the M10 or M240 CMOS sensor if that's the point being made so it needs sorting out.

Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I was one of the first group here to buy the M8 on its release, a long time ago.

i used it a lot and loved it.

a while later I bought the M8.2 and eventually the M9p which was a disaster due to the sensor issues.

after then doing a lot of film I recently dusted off the M8.2, and realised what a wonderful camera I’ve had in the closet.

i don’t plan to buy another Leica camera, digital or film, but the M8.2 remains my favourite digital of all time 🙏

1 hour ago, andym91 said:

I think I was one of the first group here to buy the M8 on its release, a long time ago.

i used it a lot and loved it.

a while later I bought the M8.2 and eventually the M9p which was a disaster due to the sensor issues.

after then doing a lot of film I recently dusted off the M8.2, and realised what a wonderful camera I’ve had in the closet.

i don’t plan to buy another Leica camera, digital or film, but the M8.2 remains my favourite digital of all time 🙏

Touché, Andy. 

I bought mine in February 2006 after enduring the agonies of the waiting list for several months.  Part-exchanged the first M8 on a M9P (no sensor problems fortunately) but eventually replaced the M8 in 2010 and have very happily used it ever since.

Pete.

And here she is 😊

Posted (edited)

Oooh, it's a gorgeous thing Andy. Glad you are resurrecting; such a Classic

I've got two M8's...a silver and a black chrome, and love using them even though I'm happy with my M-P typ 240. 

Just not sure full frame is all that fabulous, or necessary,  in digital...think APS-C ( or in this case APS-H is suitable for great web pics and large printing)...that's another discussion... :rolleyes:

All best..nice condition of your camera.  A bit of use will see some yummy brassing.

Edited by david strachan
Two donuts please...

• 1 month later...

I compared my M8 to my Leica Q and couldn't see any obvious filmic difference, unless lacking less sharp detail from the M8 is filmic to some.

The difference in colours (with the IR Cut) was even less obvious.

The crop factor with the M8 was very annoying to me. I have an M240 and am happier.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:11 AM, Chris W said:

I compared my M8 to my Leica Q and couldn't see any obvious filmic difference, unless lacking less sharp detail from the M8 is filmic to some.

The difference in colours (with the IR Cut) was even less obvious.

The crop factor with the M8 was very annoying to me. I have an M240 and am happier.

I'm a big fan of the M8 and I use one daily for black and white work. I also use M10-R and M10-P professionally. I find the M8 makes a more film like BW image. I liken it to shooting Tri-X. I shoot everything in DNG raw and convert the files to BW in Adobe PS. The BW conversions from my M10 files are fine, but I find them to be "too perfect" for lack of a better term. I suppose if there is a comparison to film, the M10 BW conversions are more like medium format Pan-X.

As for color with the M8, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it's really a lot like Kodachrome, and sometimes the colors are a bit too punchy for me. I much prefer the color files from the M10. There's a lot more data to work with as well. I haven't tried a Monochrome camera. I like being able to use the color sliders in post to replicate the filters for contrast, etc with the M8.

11 hours ago, 84bravo said:

I'm a big fan of the M8 and I use one daily for black and white work. I also use M10-R and M10-P professionally. I find the M8 makes a more film like BW image. I liken it to shooting Tri-X. I shoot everything in DNG raw and convert the files to BW in Adobe PS. The BW conversions from my M10 files are fine, but I find them to be "too perfect" for lack of a better term. I suppose if there is a comparison to film, the M10 BW conversions are more like medium format Pan-X.

As for color with the M8, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it's really a lot like Kodachrome, and sometimes the colors are a bit too punchy for me. I much prefer the color files from the M10. There's a lot more data to work with as well. I haven't tried a Monochrome camera. I like being able to use the color sliders in post to replicate the filters for contrast, etc with the M8.

I completely agree with you.

Pete.

You can process to great B&W film look with modern software though. Maybe if you need instant great B&W with jpeg, but shooting raw I see no difference.

The M8 is fine, but the crop factor annoyed me and the thought I was holding a £1200 camera that could fatally fail at any time made me trade it for an M240.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 25.7.2022 um 09:52 schrieb Chris W:

You can process to great B&W film look with modern software though. Maybe if you need instant great B&W with jpeg, but shooting raw I see no difference.

The M8 is fine, but the crop factor annoyed me and the thought I was holding a £1200 camera that could fatally fail at any time made me trade it for an M240.

I did the same with my M240, and traded it for a M10.
Then my M10 failed....

No joke