M10 and GPS function

ErikP

Still using a Viso 020 (2015) on M10 and no problems, same performance as the GPS of my SL. You should not turn off your M10, otherwise the 020 has to start again with a long uptome.

Hm, I'll give this a go, but I always turn my cameras off quickly after use and the SL had no issues with that. You'd assume the M10 stores azimuth + elevation data for sats so it can quickly reacquire. 

Hmm, neither gps4cam or geotag photos have been updated since 2015. Apple warns that apps that have not been updated since 2015 may not work with ios11... I wonder if an update is coming for these apps?

Thats why ive bought a 2nd hand iphone4 with ios7 on it, only to use as gps locator. Battery is ok and it doesnt drain my main phone battery :)

Hmm, neither gps4cam or geotag photos have been updated since 2015. Apple warns that apps that have not been updated since 2015 may not work with ios11... I wonder if an update is coming for these apps?

Geotag Photos Pro 2 was updated in July. Try it; I have been very satisfied with its ease of use.

• Like 1

Hm, I'll give this a go, but I always turn my cameras off quickly after use and the SL had no issues with that. You'd assume the M10 stores azimuth + elevation data for sats so it can quickly reacquire. 

It does seem to store it.  I did a test yesterday.  From my porch with a 180-degree vew of sky (in Beijing and facing west) my initial acquisition was 1 minute 12 seconds (after previous use in a different city over 100 Km away) and subsequent acquisitions either from SLEEP or OFF state (didn't seem to matter) were 9-15 seconds.  So, I'd say it is saving sat data to know what to look for.  This is not much different from one of my Garmin trackers.

Not arguing against the cell phone approach.  Works great as long as you remember to run the app when you are going to be shooting (running them all the time is a battery drain and the iPhone is already a pig in that regard).  Phones, of course, have the advantage of being on all the time and being able to use cell tower and WiFi hotspot data in addition to the GPS signals for locating.

Michael

Edited by mdemeyer

Geotag Photos Pro 2 was updated in July. Try it; I have been very satisfied with its ease of use.

Yes, it seams that many apps are being produced as a new version rather than an update, it makes it harder to find and does not provide for auto update. So I guess many users will just drop using the app rather than looking for a new version.

• 3 weeks later...

Another +1 for GPS4CAM. Although iOS 10 has problems with it, you still can use it. It is very useful, you don't need to sync the camera and phone time at all. At then end of your trip it does create a QR code, you take a sharp picture of it and then run the dedicated app on your computer which writes all the GPS coordinates to the pictures. You can turn the app anytime and even if you change timezones or anything, still it is accurate.

There are quite a few votes for GPS4CAM. I checked it out and purchased it. I like it has a standalone app on the Mac. I did get a warning when I purchased the app that it has not been updated for the upcoming OS. I believe it was for the iOS app but don't take that to the bank. Anyone know if this app is still being updated? 

Shooting the QR code at the end is awesome.

There are quite a few votes for GPS4CAM. I checked it out and purchased it. I like it has a standalone app on the Mac. I did get a warning when I purchased the app that it has not been updated for the upcoming OS. I believe it was for the iOS app but don't take that to the bank. Anyone know if this app is still being updated? 

Shooting the QR code at the end is awesome.

The app hasn't been updated for a long time. I am about to find a used iPhone4, which has iOS7 as the latest software, something I can use for the GPS purpose only. This way, my main phone won't be affected by the GPS battery draw and also it is much more reliable and functional than using EVF for M10.

Since macOS software is 64bit, there is no concern about it.

That seems odd. Is this documented somewhere or confirmed by L?

It is documented on the manual. p191

Important (legal restrictions on use):

• In certain countries or regions, the use of GPS and associated technologies may be restricted. Therefore, before traveling in other countries you should consult the relevant country's em- bassy or your travel agent.

• The use of GPS inside the People's Republic of China and Cuba and close to their borders (exceptions: Hong Kong and Macao) is prohibited by national laws.

Violations will be prosecuted by the authorities. The GPS func- tion is therefore deactivated automatically in these areas. 

That seems odd. Is this documented somewhere or confirmed by L?

In both the TL and SL, the documentation leaves the responsibility up to the user.

There have been reports by members in other threads that both cameras GPS does indeed function in China.

Edited by Soden