M10 and GPS function

ErikP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There were discussions about this earlier. It seems GPS chips are programmed from manufacture to be disabled when they find themselves in China. A Chines requirement that manufacturers (all in China??) go along with.

I am not sure whether this is true. Last month, my iphone 7, google map on iphone 7 and my  Leica SL GPS all works fine during my photo trip in China. 

• Like 1

I am not sure whether this is true. Last month, my iphone 7, google map on iphone 7 and my  Leica SL GPS all works fine during my photo trip in China. 

I do a bit of traveling in Hangzhou Bay area and using map functions in iPhone 5 and 6. They are always very accurate, (but I do believe they also use mobile cell net in combination with GPS if not mobile data is turned off).

On the phone 6 I have mobile data turned off and only go for GPS and a map that allows this - very accurate.

BR /E 

Hi,

Anyone now experience how the GPS function works and having the possibility to comment and elaborate about this?

Many Thanks Erik

My experience is that it needs time to find the satellites, just like my IPhone if I turn on my navigation app on it. And that getting contact in the house is a bit difficult sometimes. And that this sucks batterylife just like working with wifi

• Like 1

iPhone solution sounds great. I have a trip planned to Asia and would like something reliable. The 020 sounds as though it as limits. One additional question. If the GPS in EVF is not able to hook up with some satellites is there an indicator light or something that alerts the user that GPS is out of range?

I place my iPhone is airplane mode and then open an app called Tracker and it uses the gps on my iPhone to collect my position. I have used this for two years now with great success. Normally in the mountains where wifi and cellular are non-existent.

Yes, it works when your iPhone is in airplane mode so it will record for a very longtime. Easy to bring the data into LR and match up.

App name: Minimalist GPS Tracker by 64 Characters

https://appsto.re/us/ReebQ.i

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 2

I place my iPhone is airplane mode and then open an app called Tracker and it uses the gps on my iPhone to collect my position. I have used this for two years now with great success. Normally in the mountains where wifi and cellular are non-existent.

Yes, it works when your iPhone is in airplane mode so it will record for a very longtime. Easy to bring the data into LR and match up.

App name: Minimalist GPS Tracker by 64 Characters

https://appsto.re/us/ReebQ.i

I discovered this trick accidentally. I had put my phone in airplane mode on a flight and my GPS4CAM app was running in the background while I was shooting through the window. later I geotagged those pics in LR using the recorded track. Geo tags were very useful in identifying the ground features. Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I discovered this trick accidentally. I had put my phone in airplane mode on a flight and my GPS4CAM app was running in the background while I was shooting through the window. later I geotagged those pics in LR using the recorded track. Geo tags were very useful in identifying the ground features.

Another +1 for GPS4CAM. Although iOS 10 has problems with it, you still can use it. It is very useful, you don't need to sync the camera and phone time at all. At then end of your trip it does create a QR code, you take a sharp picture of it and then run the dedicated app on your computer which writes all the GPS coordinates to the pictures. You can turn the app anytime and even if you change timezones or anything, still it is accurate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There were discussions about this earlier. It seems GPS chips are programmed from manufacture to be disabled when they find themselves in China. A Chines requirement that manufacturers (all in China??) go along with.

Sorry, but it's a firmware thing. GPS works in china on the T/TL, but not the M. On the M10 they share the Same EVF.

GPS is everywhere here! Garmin is popular as is iPhone...

According to import regulations, the T/TL and the M are in the same category. So if it's disabled for one it should be disabled for both, but it's not.

So Leica pays the fee for the T/TL and SL but not the M? That's not what the respective manuals say. Nor what any of the companies discussed claim

I don't know why they did it that way but it is what it is. Nothing anybody can do about it unless Leica changes their mind.

ame="jdlaing" post="3260334" timestamp="1492913431"]

I don't know why they did it that way but it is what it is. Nothing anybody can do about it unless Leica changes their mind.

Sad but true, but it's an easy fix. Getting leica to change their minds is the hard part.

Sad but true, but it's an easy fix. Getting leica to change their minds is the hard part.

I suspect it may have something to do with it being a separate part and not built into the camera. I.E.: The grip contains the module.

I suspect it may have something to do with it being a separate part and not built into the camera. I.E.: The grip contains the module.

That is true about the M240/6. But the M10 shares the GPS/EVF with the T/TL and GPS works on the T/TL.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an older thread, but did they ever issue an update on the Visoflex 020 / GPS on the M10? I've just gone through week 1 with the thing and the GPS is abhorrent. It got a fix perhaps once in 7 days of intense shooting. Clear sky above it and no buildings in the way. 

This is a terribly performing GPS. It basically never works. The SL locks a signal quite reliably -- a $600 EVF should work without a hitch. Debating just bringing this thing back in.

• Like 3

For none GPS camera's, you can take a photo with your iPhone every now and then and later automatically add that GPS data to the photos taken in between with your NON GPS camera, as long as the clocks are synced ;) 

• Like 1