Survey: Interested in the new Leica M10?

LUF Admin

Interested in the Leica M10?  

805 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

• Yes, exactly the features I was waiting for!
    • Definitely interested, but waiting for more reviews (or a model Leica M10-P)
    • No, no real advantages above my Leica M240 / M9
    • No, I need video

I'd be coming from nothing having lost my trust in Leica and selling my M240 2yrs ago, so I'm approaching the M10 from more of a clean slate perspective without having to evaluate whether it's enough of a step up to justify replace a digital M I already own. Honestly, if I still owned my 240 I very much doubt I'd be looking to trade up. Right now I use a fine but fiddly Fuji X-Pro 2. 

As a glasses wearer, the viewfinder is certainly something I'm curious to evaluate for myself, and as an M2 owner it would certainly be nice to have that .72x magnification in a digital body (or .73x as it is in this case). The sensor is of equal interest, as I was never wholly satisfied with the one in the 240. I understand the M262 sensor was different to that of its predecessor which I was not aware of until recently, but as things stand, if I am willing to take a leap of faith in the company again I'll say I am more interested in the M10 than I am buying a cheaper M262 (I think because I do value live view on occasion, so to retain that and have it in a slimmer body, with the trade off being battery life, I'd be interested to see if I find the M10 to be of better value to me long term. Going for a 262 would free up some funds to pick up a 50mm summilux sooner than I might with an M10, however).

I'm still mulling whether to come back to Leica as I've said elsewhere, but day by day I'm more tempted to take myself to a dealer, take my dear old rigid Summicron off my M2 and stick it on a 10 to see what's what.

I've not heard that the 262 sensor is different. Does it render colors better than the M240 / MP240?

Even if it was cost free, I would not change M240p for M10.

For me the upgrade to the EVF and rangefinder are not sufficient to outweigh smaller battery (I think the M240p battery is wonderful). And I do not really care about small imporvements to sensor.

If the EVF was really good (in terms of clarity and speed, and built-in), I would upgrade.

I'm an M7 user, skipped the M8 because I didn't like it, was not sure about the M9, had many doubts about the 240/262...

...but after playing a little with the M10 in Wetzlar I understood: this is the digital M I was waiting for...

robert

PS: from just interested to ...order placed...now waiting ...

• Like 1

I did vote No when the survey started. Had a chance to handle today. I am now interested. I took my M7 along for comparison; size reducton, alone makes this a camera I am interested in. I purchased the M-D and like it a lot. I will probably hold off on M10 for a while because the Leica rep. eluded to a "possiblity" of an M-D type version of M10 being in the offing. Now THAT would be a camera for me. I wish he had not said that.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did vote No when the survey started. Had a chance to handle today. I am now interested. I took my M7 along for comparison; size reducton, alone makes this a camera I am interested in. I purchased the M-D and like it a lot. I will probably hold off on M10 for a while because the Leica rep. eluded to a "possiblity" of an M-D type version of M10 being in the offing. Now THAT would be a camera for me. I wish he had not said that.

Me too

• Like 1

I canceled my M10 order.  Once I heard about it, I placed my order instantly (i think day 2).  But then I thought about it ...

What turned me off was the lack of video.. I really did not get that.  I do not take a lot of video, but I like to take some 30 second clips.  I like taking short videos every now and then when on vacation.. imagine you are on vacation during new year's day countdown in a foreign country and you cant do video??  I mean video is there for those special moments while you have that camera on you.  Really dumb move on leica's part.

I think what leica may do is improve the m10 to include video and then drop the m240 line.  It is strange they are keeping the m240 around -- it is as if they know something is missing from the m10..because really, why would they even consider building the m240 still?  I think we will see something in a year or two from them (to coincide with the dropping of the m240 line)

[...] I think we will see something in a year or two from them (to coincide with the dropping of the m240 line)

I think so too but i doubt it will be rangefinder. A compact SL would sell well i suspect and RF users would still have Das Wesentliche to console themselves… The last attempt to produce a modern rangefinder will be the M240 i'm afraid but i would love to be proved wrong.

It is strange they are keeping the m240 around -- it is as if they know something is missing from the m10..because really, why would they even consider building the m240 still?  I think we will see something in a year or two from them (to coincide with the dropping of the m240 line)

Given there is a small but rabid group desirous of video, I don't find it strange that the M240 was retained if for no other reason than gauging any continued demand for that feature.  What is curious to me is the continued existence of the 262. Perhaps it only exists to justify not dropping the price on the 240. One does wonder if the 240 dropped to 262 pricing levels, how many potential buyers might opt for it over the M10. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jaap but for a different reason: system compatibility. If you own an M240 and a Monochrom 246, you have two cameras that share a completely common accessory base: batteries, chargers, cases, EVFs, and eyepiece magnifiers - and most importantly, control layouts. People can argue all they want about video vel non, bigger viewfinders, thinner bodies, etc., but the lack of consistency and interoperability is problematic (and rather expensive when you start adding it up).

Dante

Andreas, when you discuss this poll with Leica, could you also mention that there is a group of M240 users who do appreciate the higher functionality and would appreciate a further development of the 240 series, parallel to the M10? 

I could imagine a processor/EVF upgrade, higher specified sensor, enhanced Video, etc in the M240 body size, for instance.

The SL is not an alternative as it is EVF only.

Edited by dante

Having really enjoyed my M6 I was most disappointed with the M8 and M9 starting with the size of the cameras. Also I always had the feeling that these were halfway house cameras and that Leica needed to get back to a 'basic' camera. Unfortunately it is not at a basic price but I suppose that is inevitable. Earnings of  £30 in 1936 - the price of a Leica without lens - is equivalent today to earnings of over £5,000. So its priced about right I suppose. damn it !   Still, I am looking forward to an M10.

I think so too but i doubt it will be rangefinder. A compact SL would sell well i suspect and RF users would still have Das Wesentliche to console themselves… The last attempt to produce a modern rangefinder will be the M240 i'm afraid but i would love to be proved wrong.

A compact SL (M size with M mount), would be wonderful.  No AF necesary. I would buy tomorrow.

• Like 1

A compact SL (M size with M mount), would be wonderful.  No AF necesary. I would buy tomorrow.

I would agree.

I would buy tomorrow, too.

The SL itself looks very bulky and awkward (it doesn't feel it in use, to be fair) and the lenses are enormous, although arguably, to use the camera properly a 28-90 zoom covers most day to day needs. Unfortunately, superb as that lens is, it's enormous.

Hardly a discreet travel/reportage/art camera, which is what I want a Leica for.

I'm very happy with my M240P, I'm not concerned about the additional 3.5mm thickness of the body over the film bodies... nor does the (disabled) video button get in the way (and it's there for those who have a need for the occasional video - which is a good thing in my book). I also appreciate the long battery life, the black paint rather than black chrome and the Leica script on the top plate instead of the red dot on the front.

I will buy the M10-P when it comes out in a couple of years. That may cover everything I need, but as I have said before, an EVF M to use with focal lengths less than 28 or greater than 50 would be a 'no-brainer'. The idea is seeing exactly what is on the sensor takes away issues with focus wide open on longer lenses and makes shooting ultra wide lenses very much quicker and easier.

What I love about the M is its simplicity and size... and I love the control layout - there just isn't anything else available that is that simple in terms of photography.

An EVF M to use alongside an M or an M10 would make a complete camera system... shared chargers and accessories, totally identical layout and therefore easy to move from one to the other... and it would probably get more people into Leica M anyway...

I wouldn't want a replacement of the M. Too many existing customers are too wedded to the concept of an optical rangefinder to ever accept an M as anything else and it would probably kill the range for many, making the EVF version less likely to succeed.

But to run the two in parallel...?

I suspect that in a few years the EVF M would outsell the optical rangefinder and the Leica base would increase massively.

And who knows, further down the line we could end up with miniature M lenses capable of AF for those last customers who grew up with AF.

With digital cameras hitting a bit of a plateaux nowadays, and with a few people working their way back to analogue cameras and analogue ways of doing things, now is a perfect time to do it... A camera that would appeal to a large number of new customers and meet the needs of the existing customers - plus continuing with the OVF version, with complete interchangeability...

Perfect. For everyone, apart from those that want to dictate what others buy. :D

[...] Perfect. For everyone, apart from those that want to dictate what others buy. :D

And not that perfect for those who still dream that a rangefinder can be a modern camera. I'm pretty sure you're right though. Just a bit sad to be proved wrong myself.

• 2 weeks later...

My dream M11 has, at the place of the Focus button and in combination with it, a turning knob for the standard white balance settings (in accordance with the ISO setting). It would in many situations be of great help, being able to quickly turn the white balance between sun, shadow, tungsten or any other light source.