Sell M to get M10?

vladik

This has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. The idea would be to use an SL mount on a compact SL, called "QL" by some of us. This would cannibalize SL sales though i suspect so i would not hold my breath.

Leica Co. should be confident enough in their fantastic SL body, big zooms and big prime lenses to introduce “QL” along side it to be used with M mount lenses not SL mount as you suggesting.  M rangefinder camera should continue for purists without video and slimmer as some call for. Live dangerously, be brave I’d say to Leica.

Absolutely nothing with my camera Jeff, it has been very reliable and enjoyable camera to own, thanks you for asking.

I dislike EVF function, it is awkward to use and if the sensor is upgraded it would be a bonus. I recently purchased Fujifilm X-Pro2 and if Leica could come out with in camera EVF / Mechanical Rangefinder it would be nice. Lots of users complain about the thickness of this camera, but it does not bother me, I am using it with Artisan and Artist leather half case making it about 5mm thicker and it is very nice to hold in my not too big hands. 

Funny, that doesn't seem like absolutely nothing. 

Jeff

Leica Co. should be confident enough in their fantastic SL body, big zooms and big prime lenses to introduce “QL” along side it to be used with M mount lenses not SL mount as you suggesting.  M rangefinder camera should continue for purists without video and slimmer as some call for. Live dangerously, be brave I’d say to Leica.

I did not suggest anything personally. In fact the whole idea of a bulky SL reminds me of M5, R8 & R9 bodies. Now if Leica decided to make a compact FF mirrorless camera, it would have to fit M, T & SL lenses according to some good colleagues here. Hence the idea of an SL mount for such a compact body with hope that it will remain compact enough this way.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

I did not suggest anything personally. In fact the whole idea of a bulky SL reminds me of M5, R8 & R9 bodies. Now if Leica decided to make a compact FF mirrorless camera, it would have to fit M, T & SL lenses according to some good colleagues here. Hence the idea of an SL mount for such a compact body with hope that it will remain compact enough this way.

Th T body is very 'film M-like' size-wise where the grip is. Make a FF version with integral evf were the M's is, fatten the rest of the front of the body out and fit a recessed M adapter which fits so well as to create a seamless appearance and hey presto an evf M :D . Why would Leica want to build an M only evf body :) ? As an á la carte offering, Leica could even superglue the adapter in place, thus creating an M only version.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny, that doesn't seem like absolutely nothing. 

Jeff

I dislike EVF and the way it operates, but can live with it under certain conditions. I see ‘problem’ as something serious that is hindering picture taking and requires workshop repair. My M has been problem free. 

I dislike EVF and the way it operates, but can live with it under certain conditions. I see ‘problem’ as something serious that is hindering picture taking and requires workshop repair. My M has been problem free. 

You already stated in your opening post that it was in perfect condition.....the question 'what's wrong' should have obviously been taken in context, i.e., what's lacking or prompting interest in pursuing another camera that's otherwise 'perfect'.  I think the answer is GAS.

Jeff

I have GAS...... all the time ....I have GAS.... I need more lenses .....I need more options
.......What I don't need is another camera body that's only increments better than the perfect one I already own.

But that's just me.........and sadly I am on a budget

Edited by ECohen

I don't have a M (240) to sell but it looks like my M9 will be going back to Leica for its second sensor swap. That's 3 for 3 sensor replacements with my Leica CCD cameras. As much as I don't like to admit it, I may be forced into buying the M10. Sure, I wanted a 36 MP camera but if it comes to a choice between size of camera and the MP count, the smaller size of the M style cameras wins. 

So I'll probably keep my M9 and Monochrom and sell my S2 to fund the M10. At least that is what I'm thinking today.

And I can't get worked up on the EVF issue. I don't use one now and would probably only use one for the very occasional macro shot. Video... who cares?