Hows the SL stock carry strap

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

P.S. not sure where you got Bill from but that's ok

Sorry mate

I thought your Meerec name was some kind of 007 code name used as your forum name.................... I'll remember next time :)

I use a Herringbone Heritage leather hand strap fastened to the right hand camera lug and the RRS BP-CS quick release plate which is permanently on the SL.

Hi, does the RRS BP-CS sit flushed on the SL or does it protrude a bit? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

An update re. the stock carry strap: These last couple of weeks I have been travelling with the SL and the 24-90 behemoth. For this trip I fished out a little gadget for attaching the strap that screws into the tripod thread. Several companies make them, mine is from Custom SLR and called the C-Loop.

This allows the camera to hang on one shoulder pointing downwards and for me it was a big improvement in carrying comfort. It is also more practical, especially in a city environment, because you take up less space. Finally. it makes it easy to take off the strap when using a tripod. Bottom line, this is without any doubt how I will attach my strap on the SL for the future.

After a year I've finally come up with the best of both worlds ........

An RRS SL base plate, Herringbone handstrap AND a Peak Design Slide camera strap.

I have the tiny PD connectors looped permanently top right of camera and bottom right of the RRS plate ...... unobtrusive and the camera still sits flat on the base. Being plastic/fibre the don't scratch or catch on things. 

The PD strap is long enough to sling crossways over the shoulder so the camera hangs lens down either on the L hip or back. The wide 'seatbelt' strap distributes the weight so the camera is not noticeable AT ALL.

I can reach down and immediately hold the camera with my hand in the handstrap and the 'slippy' nature of the PD strap allows you to effortlessly bring the camera up to the eye without snagging etc. No issues with twisting or the strap getting in the way.

You can release the connectors one handed and remove/attach the strap in seconds. The silicon 'non-slip' strips on the reverse allow it to be used over the shoulder .... and the length adjusters can be toggled one-handed. 

I've just spent 5 days in Malta with this combo and found it effortless and secure in use. Just a pity I took so long to come up with the solution ...... :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper

The problem is getting the camera to hang right .......... the PD looped connectors work best when fixed top left and bottom right ....... plus the full SL baseplate is unobtrusive, lets the camera sit squarely on it's base and allows a recessed attachment of the strap. 

If I get time today I'll post some pics. 

some photos as requested ...... apologies for not having a glamorous model ......

with this arrangement even the 90-280 is hardly noticeable when carried and can be used one-handed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4

I have the tiny PD connectors looped permanently top right of camera and bottom right of the RRS plate ...... unobtrusive and the camera still sits flat on the base. Being plastic/fibre the don't scratch or catch on things. 

The PD strap is long enough to sling crossways over the shoulder so the camera hangs lens down either on the L hip or back. The wide 'seatbelt' strap distributes the weight so the camera is not noticeable AT ALL.

I can reach down and immediately hold the camera with my hand in the handstrap and the 'slippy' nature of the PD strap allows you to effortlessly bring the camera up to the eye without snagging etc. No issues with twisting or the strap getting in the way.

Personally I don't like (or I am not used to) padded handstraps, so I use - as on the M - Gordy's, lug-mount, wrist strap. Otherwise, I have identical setup with a RRS base plate, permanently fixed PD connectors on the body and the base plate, and a PD Slide strap. Working well...

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Because the stock carry strap rubed off:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I still use the Magpul Gen 2 MS 4 Dual QD Sling attached to the RRS plate for SL:

It even works fine with both, the 24-90 and the 90-280.

• Like 2

I've just modified my RRS baseplate so I could remove the mounting screw and replace it with a Holdfast mounting screw. Basically I dremmeled out the plate so the larger screw would fit and the loop could fold flat. The Holdfast mounting screw is similar to the Rapid Strap mounting screw, except the loop folds flat so I can use the RRS plate normally. I can now use a Black Rapid sports strap or a Holdfast Dual Strap without having to add or remove anything. Since I got my first Rapid Strap a slider cross strap has been my preferred method of carrying a single body. This is important to me as I move between tripod and handheld often during a work day. Having something to remove is having something to lose.

It was a butcher job. Ugly but functional. I'm tempted to but another RRS plate and do a better job. I have a friend with a drill press and that would have made it much neater.

Gordon

• 1 year later...

I am quite happy with my stock strap; it is pliable and compact.  However, it is starting to show signs of wear near the lugs.  I could just buy a straight replacement, but charging 5x the cost of an Optech (which has never worn out for me when on other cameras, but is bulky, to spread the load) is just extracting the Michael, so I won't buy one at that price on principle.

I don't want to buy any fetishistic-sounding, or artisanal ones.  They seem to be just as expensive as the native strap and seem to be more obtrusive.

What is the strap du jour?  How wide are the lug slots?  5/8"?  I don't want to get a set of those loops that don't fill the lug slot.  They were fine on the Sony bodies that weigh nothing, but I wouldn't trust them with SL+lenses.  

• Like 1

I’m not sure about “strap du jour”, as I’m not much of a fashionista.

A strap is a strap, and the cheapest will do the job, I guess. I don’t particularly like the standard Leica strap for the SL, so I’ve tried a couple of alternatives:

- Tie me up “Rock n Roll” strap for SL - https://rocknrollstraps.com/product-category/camera-straps/sl-straps/

I have one in red. I used it traveling and in the rain - mine shows signs of wear after hard use, but it is holding up nicely. They are also available in black and other colours. They have a bit of ‘bounce’ which is nice with a heavy camera and lens.

- Harry Benz SL Brogue - these are made from buffalo leather (thick, soft and very strong). https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/the-brogue-sl

Price is always a factor, but carrying my cameras over my right shoulder I like to have confidence in the strap. I’ve never been one for the wide, embroidered straps favoured by other manufacturers with “EOS 5DIII” in bright letters or “D850”. I don’t mind if they’re red, have a bit of red or are black - comfortable, strong and discrete are my preferences.

You could also look at Barton Straps - https://www.barton1972.com

I have a brown braid one on my Monochrom (matches the leather covering nicely)

On my TL2, I use one of the climbing rope straps - https://lancecamerastraps.com

Lance does a nice job, and a rope strap on my TL2 seems fitting for how I use it.

The cost is minimal compared to what they’re carrying - just get one you like the look of. I am a bit fussy about any metal rubbing against the camera - that means that using the leather strap (particularly the Tie Me Up strap) requires checking for wear. I’ll probably replace my red strap soon.

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Well, in the end, I bit the bullet / emptied my wallet and went for a standard strap, which for some reason seems to be the same as the standard strap for the S006.  The others on offer are one or more of too bulky, conspicuous, metallic (near the eye), or insecure (only 3/8" wide or attaching with thin loops).

• Like 1

Well, in the end, I bit the bullet / emptied my wallet and went for a standard strap, which for some reason seems to be the same as the standard strap for the S006.  The others on offer are one or more of too bulky, conspicuous, metallic (near the eye), or insecure (only 3/8" wide or attaching with thin loops).

They all hold the camera, so as good a choice as any.  Any strap will have wear points, so I always give them a quick check before heading out.  My Tie Her Up is showing signs of wear, so your post was timely - I've ordered a new black one.

Cheers

John