Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For those of you who own (or have used) both the thread mount version of the 28 Summaron and the current M-mount version, is there a difference in image quality that would make you choose the newer lens?  If you do have the older lens, is the hood completely necessary? Thanks for your answers.

I can't speak about the differences. I've not used the hood yet, I will probably see when I should use it soon(ish). But at 500 quid the hood, I can understand where you're coming from :-)

• Like 1

I'm not sure where there sweet spot lies in terms of "sun in frame" and avoiding "green blob" but don't tend to see it if the sun is at the edge of the frame. 

I suppose there are quite a few factors that come into it. Such as the height and intensity of the sun (see one of my previous posts where the sun is in full view but quite low down, there is no blob), and as you mention, the angle in relation to the lens. Do you ever use the hood? Would the hood make any difference if the sun is within the view or only if it is just outside?

I suppose there are quite a few factors that come into it. Such as the height and intensity of the sun (see one of my previous posts where the sun is in full view but quite low down, there is no blob), and as you mention, the angle in relation to the lens. Do you ever use the hood? Would the hood make any difference if the sun is within the view or only if it is just outside?

I do mostly use the hood but I don't think it comes into play when the sun is directly in the frame. Most of my use has been with film (and after some experimentation with an M 240 I'm going to largely use film again with this lens going forward) and I unhesitatingly use the lens directly towards the sun. It is rare when the flare is intrusive enough to bother me. 

• Like 2

I can't speak about the differences. I've not used the hood yet, I will probably see when I should use it soon(ish). But at 500 quid the hood, I can understand where you're coming from :-)

It is worth pointing out the Summaron-M hood isn't compatible with the LTM lens nor vice versa. There's roughly a 1mm difference in the diameter of the two lenses.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do mostly use the hood but I don't think it comes into play when the sun is directly in the frame. Most of my use has been with film (and after some experimentation with an M 240 I'm going to largely use film again with this lens going forward) and I unhesitatingly use the lens directly towards the sun. It is rare when the flare is intrusive enough to bother me. 

Surely the use of film or digital would have no influence on the flare!?

I have to say that as much as I like the M9/Summaron combination, I did use it on my MP with Portra 400 and the results are very much what I am looking for for colour photography.

You've certainly got a lot going on there!! 

Indeed!

I've never encountered this circular flare. Are you are using a filter on your lens? 

No hood (can't afford it) or filter (not sure which to put on it). Though it is the LTM version, so the different coating may explain it. 

For those of you who own (or have used) both the thread mount version of the 28 Summaron and the current M-mount version, is there a difference in image quality that would make you choose the newer lens?  If you do have the older lens, is the hood completely necessary? Thanks for your answers.

I have the LTM version. Tried the current M-mount version in the shop and the main difference is in the coating so the LTM version may have wilder flares (e.g. the circular flare example above which I like) than the new version. There may be subtler differences in the colour and the LTM version has a touch lower contrast but not really distinguishable from each other in my quick test. So image quality wise, they are the same except maybe for the flares. However, the LTM version in good condition is quite rare..

I don't use/have the hood (as it cost almost 60% of my lens..) and don't miss it at all. 

• Like 2

However, the LTM version in good condition is quite rare..

There is one at leicashop which seems pretty good. They have a couple of hoods too. But unless a LTM mount is what you need I wouldn't bother as all in all it's not that much cheaper.

• Like 2

Ian, I looked for the one at Leicashop yesterday after seeing your note, but I couldn't find it.  Perhaps it has already sold.

It's still there... I'll send you the link in a message.

Edit: link sent :)

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

Most of times I like to shoot my Summaron in interior @ 5.6.

I know, it can sound strange to adopt an F 5.6 lens to shoot interior when many other faster are available but this is what I like to do :-).

Anyway I'm in the process to use the lens outdoor as well, as in this case shot at F11 (bright sun!) for a different look...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4