Jump to content
Lucena

Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Recommended Posts

Slightly embarrassed about my previous Aspen and Shadow photo. Definitely not up to Demitris' standard. So, I found another image with a white background that I like a lot more. Admittedly, I did a lot of cleanup of dirt in the water using photoshop, but the basic image is unchanged from the original. The leaf and the shadow are as I saw them. I love the refracted light around the edge of the leaf. One can imagine the leaf does not sit flat on the water and the surface tension causing the water around the edges to be raised causing the distortion.  

 

Edited by Infiniumguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

Slightly embarrassed about my previous Aspen and Shadow photo. Definitely not up to Demitris' standard. So, I found another image with a white background that I like a lot more. Admittedly, I did a lot of cleanup of dirt in the water using photoshop, but the basic image is unchanged from the original. The leaf and the shadow are as I saw them. I love the refracted light around the edge of the leaf. One can imagine the leaf does not sit flat on the water and the surface tension causing the water around the edges to be raised causing the distortion.  

 

Hi Dan, 

I hope I am not crossing any borders here with some C&C.

Though I like the idea behind this picture, the background color seems a bit out of place. Have you considered a B&W conversion?

I think that would get rid of the speckled background and gives a more graphical impression that would work very well imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MLochmansPhoto said:

Hi Dan, 

I hope I am not crossing any borders here with some C&C.

Though I like the idea behind this picture, the background color seems a bit out of place. Have you considered a B&W conversion?

I think that would get rid of the speckled background and gives a more graphical impression that would work very well imho.

No borders crossed with me. It's all art and I'm open to new ideas. I wonderd about a monochrome version of this anyway. So, I converted it using LR and here's my interpretation.

What do you think?

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

No borders crossed with me. It's all art and I'm open to new ideas. I wonderd about a monochrome version of this anyway. So, I converted it using LR and here's my interpretation.

What do you think?

Dan

I like both very much but still prefer the color version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

No borders crossed with me. It's all art and I'm open to new ideas. I wonderd about a monochrome version of this anyway. So, I converted it using LR and here's my interpretation.

What do you think?

Dan

 

I think it's better in mono, specially the way the "halo" on the RHS leaf works out. I would go for a more grittier contrasty approach.

LHS leaf more detail, RHS leaf darker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are fantastic, Dan. I think sometimes, when the composition itself is fantastic--as your leaf is--it is agonizing deciding which is better. Frankly, many times I think we turn a photo into B&W to save it: to make it both more dramatic and more austere--eliminating weak color elements. But this is an instance where the composition is so good that both versions work great, in different ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Both are fantastic, Dan. I think sometimes, when the composition itself is fantastic--as your leaf is--it is agonizing deciding which is better. Frankly, many times I think we turn a photo into B&W to save it: to make it both more dramatic and more austere--eliminating weak color elements. But this is an instance where the composition is so good that both versions work great, in different ways.

+ 1.....thought I favorite the mono version because of the background.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone ... I have a bit of an off-the-wall question: 

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is a new set of macro lenses available from Leica, Leica ELPRO E52 Close-Up Lens Set, and was interested to see that they can be ordered with a 49mm filter thread.  (See attached advert)

I wondered if this close-up lens would be a useful addition to the already available Macro setting on the Q, or whether the macro on the Q is all it can handle?

I have reached out to Josh at Leica Store Miami, but he has not yet received any of the lenses to try out.

Any experience with these?

Richard Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, phaxman said:

Hi Everyone ... I have a bit of an off-the-wall question: 

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is a new set of macro lenses available from Leica, Leica ELPRO E52 Close-Up Lens Set, and was interested to see that they can be ordered with a 49mm filter thread.  (See attached advert)

I wondered if this close-up lens would be a useful addition to the already available Macro setting on the Q, or whether the macro on the Q is all it can handle?

 

I have reached out to Josh at Leica Store Miami, but he has not yet received any of the lenses to try out.

Any experience with these?

Richard Johnson

These are my dream lenses for the Q. I haven't try them but when I get them I will make them work even if they don't want!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zampelis said:

Great shot Dan, I love both versions! By the way this little droplet on top of the leaf is amazing!

I think the droplet makes the photo much better. Thanks Demitris. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Both are fantastic, Dan. I think sometimes, when the composition itself is fantastic--as your leaf is--it is agonizing deciding which is better. Frankly, many times I think we turn a photo into B&W to save it: to make it both more dramatic and more austere--eliminating weak color elements. But this is an instance where the composition is so good that both versions work great, in different ways.

Thanks very much Ken. That means a lot to me knowing what great images you create. It was fun imagining this then making it real. I plan to improve on it next fall when I have more golden aspen leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zampelis said:

These are my dream lenses for the Q. I haven't try them but when I get them I will make them work even if they don't want!

And the other question that phaxman is asking is:

I wondered if this close-up lens would be a useful addition to the already available Macro setting on the Q, or whether the macro on the Q is all it can handle?

The answer is that many of us are using some sort of extra macro lenses, at least on occasion. Marumi +5 that Dimitris/zampelis uses (as do I) can be doubled up to make a +10 with a little (often, pleasing) vignetting. My sense is that they are probably the best alternative to the far more expensive (and more powerful) Leica lenses. But when you enter Leica World, price is almost no object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...