Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 15

• Like 16

Dried ommatidia from a dead lady bug... I used a tubeless reversed Nikon 18-55 stock zoom lens at 18 with the aperture wide open, focused in normal mode at infinity and used three close up filters. It was just a test, more like a proof of concept. The light was terrible, not focus stacking, the three filters give quite a bad image in general and I needed to do it in a completely dark room (something that wasn't 100% achievable), simulating essentially the way camera obscura works. I can see a lot of potential here though..

The sad thing was that I didn't lock properly the camera on the tripod and it fell on the floor. I instinctively placed my foot under it before the impact and also the floor is carpeted. But the filters are quite heavy and it landed on the lens.  I see not a single scratch and everything seem to work as before with the exception of a small click I hear when I turn the focus ring all the way to infinity just at the point it stops before the little button is needed to be pressed to lock into auto focus.

It drives me crazy but I hope that it may smooth out with use and go away...   

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

You're an inspiration, Dimitris! As the weather turns and it seems always grey and cloudy, and there's less to find outside (at least where I live), the lights/macro/tripod set is the way to go. 

I'm so sorry for the trauma of a dropped camera (I've been there!). If the clicking turns out to be only that, think of it as character and a reminder. But I know: we don't need such lessons!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Demitris. So sorry to hear your camera dropped. Hopefully its okay. I highly recommend you dump the ball head to camera mount you have and move to an Arca Swiss mount. I use a Really Right Stuff ballhead, but they’re pretty expensive. There are others out there which are not so costly. Arca Swiss is a very solid mount. I see photographers on a regular basis using all kinds of mounts and too often spending a lot of time hassling with them or occasionally dropping their cameras. Its not worth the trouble. Good luck. You already know I love your photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your kind words guys! Hopefully it will be ok... I did get once an error message on screen that went away after turning the camera off and on again but I suspect that it had to do with the memory card.. I will keep a close eye. The clicking sound and the little different sensation when you switch between auto and manual focus do bother me to be honest, I will see how it goes, I wouldn't like to part from my camera and be also left with a £1500 less in my pocket to fix something like that. I understand that the whole lens will need to be taken apart. I am sure that as Ken said, in the end it will just be a part of the camera's character.

I will also make a priority to get one of the Arca Swiss mounts Dan, I spent some time today researching them and they look amazing.. I am sure it will be worthy investment.

By the way, now that I have become paranoid and check every little thing, does the middle part of the lens (the black tube that comes a bit out in macro mode) wobble a little bit when you have attached the macro filters? I can feel a bit of movement when shaking slightly the camera and I am not sure if it was there before.. I think It felt rock solid.. Oh my... :)

By the way, here is another photo of a part of a fly's eye. Two images combined cropped and resized at 50%.. it seems quite sharp. I really wonder if something interesting comes out from this... 

Edited by zampelis

Dimitris-

When I put the (same) 2 filters on, there is definitely a very slight wobble in macro mode that isn't there without the filter. I don't think it's a tightening issue,  because I tightened the filters as much as I could without risking fusing them to the lens. OTOH I don't sense at all a wobble from the tube, which does seem rock solid. But I'm tactically challenged, so I can't figure out its origin. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your reply Ken :)

I uploaded a video to show you what I mean, if you hear the sound, it is coming from the black internal tube moving slightly... Does your sound like it? It is not in macro mode.

https://youtu.be/G3o1Jr3hdzk

Sorry for being out of topic guys, I wouldn't like to open a thread just for that though.. It is what it is... 

Edited by zampelis

Sorry, Dimitris, but YouTube tells me it's unavailable.

I hear nothing from mine, just feel a slight bit of give when I rock the end of the filter. Again, very difficult for me to figure out where it's coming from.

Please don't apologize for being off topic: we all gain from this, I think.

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the reply Ken,

It seems that I had it as private.. Maybe the link that I embedded on this message works..

But anyway, even if it is wobbly I have to live with that.. The image quality seem the same though, which is the most important thing...

Edited by zampelis

Right. it stopped being private, before I checked here to see that you loaded it directly.

I compared my wobble to yours, and they seem absolutely identical (except my camera doesn't have the clicking which shows the character of yours, so maybe I should drop mine....or maybe not).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ah... I can go to sleep without worries!! Thanks Ken :)

For the record I also uploaded a video with the clicking sound. Apparently it comes from the little button on the focus tab. If i press that button even a tiny little bit when I reach at the end of the rotation, it seems that the sound goes away.. 

Oh well, I can fool myself that it is a feature :)

Thanks again for looking that up!

https://youtu.be/oSYuPXXa2Yk

• Like 2

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic