Leica SL Firmware Suggestions

Peter Walker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

trying to stop you making a BIG mistake that you will regret. Sometimes you need to step back a bit and another's considered opinion is what you need to save you from yourself.

LOL! Sorry paulmac, it's just equipment ... It's impossible to make a "BIG mistake". I could lose a little money—that's not a big problem.  B)

My Nikon D750 has been sitting on the shelf unused since I bought the SL. I've picked it up a couple of times but put it right back down and picked up the SL instead. I just don't like using the D750 all that much; after shooting with the F6, it is a letdown. I might as well sell it while I can still get most of my money out of it. 

I haven't run into anything on the SL yet that's been an obstacle to my photography. The only workarounds I've had to do aren't really workarounds, they're just workflow issues now adapted to a different camera that doesn't work exactly the same as my other camera does. 

When using M or R lenses with manual focus, leave the focus spot where it was moved.  To return to centre position the user would double tap the joystick.  The default should be the last position selected.

Oh yes.  That would be tremendous improvement and would really speed up the shooting with M lenses. I really hope for this one!

Faster GPS.

Looking at my images in LR, I notice that it is usually about the 3rd or 4th image at a location before it starts inserting the GPS data into the EXIF metadata.  The first few just have 0 N / 0 E.

From that, I am assuming that the GPS is taking about 2 to 5 minutes to lock into the satellites - outdoors.  Compared to Maps on my iPhone, that's quite slow.  Maybe the designers have traded off speed for accuracy.

If possible, it'd be great if it could latch on to the GPS signal faster.

Regards

Peter

Firmware has not come out, and now the 1.2 firmware can not be used B1 shed light.

Sorry. I don't understand what you are saying other than that a firmware change has not yet been issued. 

My current wishes and expectations for a firmware upgrade (I only have the camera for a couple of weeks now (using it with M lenses)):

1. Allow to assign the two dials for a toggle between Metering Modes and selection of Exposure Compensation (at least the top one for this) in A Mode (I have so far programmed some of the buttons to select for this). Perhaps this functionality is already available, but I did not find it.

2. Make startup time FAST, and especially wake from sleep REALLY FAST (both can take 2 seconds)! Perhaps this has to do with the SD cards I am using (which are current). But I think with 2 GB of buffer the camera should figure out which cards are in it while I am already using it. My M is really fast in this respect.

3. Maybe I am mistaken, but I think sometimes my EVF flickers a bit initially (as if it needs to warm up) and only then becomes stable. Anybody else has this observation? I had the same impression with a couple of different demo cameras I had tried before. Maybe the focus peaking makes me think this way.

4. Return the spot circle in Spot Metering mode to central position (or allow me to chose so) after having switched to a different metering mode and back again. I know there are probably pros and cons to keeping it where it was. So perhaps give us the option please (return to central vs. keep previous position).

5. Not sure if this is a camera problem or a lightroom problem. But when taking photos is rapid sequence, and the camera is set to DNG and JPG, when I load them into lightroom, sometimes the JPGs are not next to the according DNGs, but further down on the "filmstrip", so somewhat scrambled. As if the camera does some processing when shooting fast but looses the order of the files until it catches up again. This is a bit annoying when you want to compare DNG and BW side by side. If somebody knows how to fix this please let me know. My M has the same problem. - Thanks. 

Two more wishes:

6. Improve R lens profiles (especially Apo 280) to get rid of vignetting. 

7. When shooting RAW plus JPG in B&W, make an option that the EVF either displays in color or in B&W. Currently it is only B&W (unless I missed this option).

7. When shooting RAW plus JPG in B&W, make an option that the EVF either displays in color or in B&W. Currently it is only B&W (unless I missed this option).

As what you see in the EVF is the JPG not the RAW, I don't see how to see in color a B&W JPG.

Edited by Leicaiste