Leica SL Firmware Suggestions

Peter Walker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll repeat a point that has been made before, but it just bit me.  I hit picture #1000 on my second card, and sure enough, it jumped to folder 101, picture #1.  That's just dumb!

My request is that we return to the facility that was developed on the M8, M9 and M series, in which you can assign a folder name or number, and picture numbers can increase up to 9999, not limited to 999

scott

Agreed completely. In this digital age, 999 pictures can be just an hour of work for some. Most of my other cameras reset at 9999, so that would be acceptable, but I would love to see the SL firmware changed to reset at 99999. Might as well do it right!

Generally, Leica really needs to take a look at how other professional cameras implement a dual card setup and make some changes to get the SL up to speed, so to speak. For openers, on the 1D-X, for example, the two cards are totally independent of each other. You can choose a card to play images from, you can choose what type/size of files write to each card, you can copy images from one card to the other, you can choose to write to both cards at the same time or switch to the second card when the first fills up...pretty much anything you can think of.

I have experimented with the SL by pulling card 1 to make it write an entire shoot only to card 2 and then when I put card 1 back in the camera, it wants to play images from both cards, but I can't tell it to only play images from card 2, for instance. This is fine when you have a few hundred images on each card, but if there are thousands of images on each card, it can be tough to find a specific image. Bottom line, everything to do with the memory cards/file & folder naming/numbering/reset to zero, etc. needs to be refined in the next firmware update to give users the options/control we need to make our work more efficient.

• Like 2

Generally, Leica really needs to take a look at how other professional cameras implement a dual card setup and make some changes to get the SL up to speed, so to speak. For openers, on the 1D-X, for example, the two cards are totally independent of each other. You can choose a card to play images from, you can choose what type/size of files write to each card, you can copy images from one card to the other, you can choose to write to both cards at the same time or switch to the second card when the first fills up...pretty much anything you can think of.

I have experimented with the SL by pulling card 1 to make it write an entire shoot only to card 2 and then when I put card 1 back in the camera, it wants to play images from both cards, but I can't tell it to only play images from card 2, for instance. This is fine when you have a few hundred images on each card, but if there are thousands of images on each card, it can be tough to find a specific image. Bottom line, everything to do with the memory cards/file & folder naming/numbering/reset to zero, etc. needs to be refined in the next firmware update to give users the options/control we need to make our work more efficient.

I agree that Leica hasn't taken a good look at the things to be done with 2 cards that go beyond having one.  They simply offer 

-- write to both as duplicates,

-- write to the first until full, then to the second.

they don't offer -- raw files to #1, jpegs to #2, which seems like an obvious option to me.  Do other cameras do that?

Their style is to keep the complexity minimized, and this makes a lot of sense, so can you make concrete suggestions of the ways in which to manage two cards that have proven useful in the 1D series or other established pro cameras?  That might have a chance of having an effect on Leica's thinking.

And there seem to be two areas in which to make suggestions -- managing two cards, and managing file naming and numbering.  I think there are probably some internal reasons why file folder names are four bytes and file numbers are four bytes, making the rollover point 9999 (but not 999). All I need to keep the files from different Leica cameras from having the same numbers is the ability to start a filename with Lnnxyyyy.  I don't think I will reach 99 different Leica cameras in my lifetime.

scott

Agreed completely. In this digital age, 999 pictures can be just an hour of work for some. Most of my other cameras reset at 9999, so that would be acceptable, but I would love to see the SL firmware changed to reset at 99999. Might as well do it right!

When the M series pass 9999, the folder number is incremented by 1, so in effect these reset at 9999999.  It's just the 999 reset which must be a mistake, and I hope will be quickly corrected

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I agree that Leica hasn't taken a good look at the things to be done with 2 cards that go beyond having one.  They simply offer 

-- write to both as duplicates,

-- write to the first until full, then to the second.

they don't offer -- raw files to #1, jpegs to #2, which seems like an obvious option to me.  Do other cameras do that?

Their style is to keep the complexity minimized, and this makes a lot of sense, so can you make concrete suggestions of the ways in which to manage two cards that have proven useful in the 1D series or other established pro cameras?  That might have a chance of having an effect on Leica's thinking.

And there seem to be two areas in which to make suggestions -- managing two cards, and managing file naming and numbering.  I think there are probably some internal reasons why file folder names are four bytes and file numbers are four bytes, making the rollover point 9999 (but not 999). All I need to keep the files from different Leica cameras from having the same numbers is the ability to start a filename with Lnnxyyyy.  I don't think I will reach 99 different Leica cameras in my lifetime.

scott

The file naming/numbering/reset should just be common sense (I can't believe Leica missed the mark so badly on this) and if things were changed to make the implementation identical to the M, the problem would be solved. Keeping complexity minimized is great, until it becomes clear that a little more flexibility could make a big difference with regards to the usability of the camera in a professional environment. I would say my number one suggestions/requests regarding the two cards would be:

1) Allow DNG and JPEG files to be recorded to different cards. This is a no-brainer and needs to be fixed ASAP.

2) Allow each card to be selected independently for playback. The ideal implementation would be to give the user the choice to display both cards as one large collection of images (current implementation) and also to select only one of the cards for playback.

3) It would be nice to have file management capabilities similar to the 1D-X, which is handy in a professional setting...for instance to put an empty card in the camera and copy a set of images over, which can then be handed off to an assistant, etc. Really, it's just about flexibility and working through the different capabilities that may be available, but are not currently implemented.

• Like 1

Hi,

I love my SL a lot but these are the options to like it even more ;)

- possibility to enter the settings, menu, favorits, ... without moving your eye from the EVF, now you'll have to move your eye away to see the display and than it works(short press) but not in the EVF only mode.

I can acces my ISO settings(lower left button) but not my white balans setting(upper left button) when I keep my eye on the EVF...

- In EVF only mode, switching the EVF auto off if no eye is detected.

- possibility to 'remember' the magnification position. 

- a 4K photo mode(like panasonic has with the GH4), in this mode you can use video in a 2:3 ratio instead of 16:9.

- start video with the fn button or shutter

That's all for me ;)

Best regards

Peter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I love my SL a lot but these are the options to like it even more ;)

- possibility to enter the settings, menu, favorits, ... without moving your eye from the EVF, now you'll have to move your eye away to see the display and than it works(short press) but not in the EVF only mode.

I can acces my ISO settings(lower left button) but not my white balans setting(upper left button) when I keep my eye on the EVF...

- In EVF only mode, switching the EVF auto off if no eye is detected.

- possibility to 'remember' the magnification position. 

- a 4K photo mode(like panasonic has with the GH4), in this mode you can use video in a 2:3 ratio instead of 16:9.

- start video with the fn button or shutter

That's all for me ;)

Best regards

Peter

(Bolded) In Settings, enable "menu in EVF". That will give you full access to menu and assigned functions on the upper left button while using the EVF. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

It appears that the manual focus magnification controls can now be mapped to the joystick in the forthcoming 1.2 firmware, which is really great news. It also means that Leica is listening.

My number one request would be to change the mandatory long exposure noise reduction function and make it a user selectable menu item. The SL cannot be regarded as a truly professional camera with this arbitrary limitation in place. All of my other "professional" cameras (almost any non-Leica camera actually) allow LENR to be disabled.

I am a cinematographer who specializes in timelapse footage. In my line of work, this seemingly minor point is a major problem that doubles the time needed to complete any exposure over .5 seconds. Many of my long exposures (2-10 seconds) are done at base ISO...my hunch is that noise would be a non-issue with these types of exposures if LENR were disabled. If the image quality takes a hit, then so be it - I can do effective dark frame subtraction by shooting one black frame at the end of the sequence rather than doubling the time of every exposure.

Please Leica, let the user decide if long exposure noise reduction is necessary and give us a menu selection to disable it if desired. If this change is made, I will order another body immediately.

言之有理

Using the Summilux 75mm I sometimes get the correct lens information in EXIF, sometimes 90mm (Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90) 

Manually I set the lens profile with the Leica M-Adapter T on the SL before the Summilux is attached. 

I guess that, depending on exactly how one of the screw-heads aligns with the sensors, the lens is read as uncoded or coded. I have tried to apply more or less torque when attaching the adapter and lens but it seems to be a tossup which lens name is read into EXIF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Using the Summilux 75mm I sometimes get the correct lens information in EXIF, sometimes 90mm (Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90) 

Manually I set the lens profile with the Leica M-Adapter T on the SL before the Summilux is attached. 

I guess that, depending on exactly how one of the screw-heads aligns with the sensors, the lens is read as uncoded or coded. I have tried to apply more or less torque when attaching the adapter and lens but it seems to be a tossup which lens name is read into EXIF.

I imagine it would be best to have the lens fitted with a six-bit code to eliminate the inconsistency.

• Like 1

One thing I like about the SL is the ability to record 4K DCI internally, I don't believe any other camera (outside of a dedicated camcorder) offers this as they are all 4K UHD.

Since Leica has said that they're also dedicated to filmmakers/videographers with the SL, I'd like to see the following added to the beautiful EVF display:

1. Waveform monitor (both luminance and RBG parade options).

2. Vectorscope.

3. False Colour

3. Additional frame rates when recording 4K DCI, in addition to 24fps, add 25fps and 30 fps.

4. More of a hardware thing but am looking forward to see what they come up with for the audio I/O adapter, and hopefully the SL has great sound quality with no noise.

5. Being able to pull focus by using the touch screen on the back.

6. Cleaner noise at high ISOs

+1 for this:

4) Rec709 image when recording Log in video mode.

My reasoning:

All of this will be very helpful as I often travel and work overseas (usually various African and Asian countries). When capturing video footage I use a Sony FS7 which garners a lot of attention, with the SL I can be more discreet. I had one minor issue when traveling into Perm, Russia, a few years back when I was using a small Sony PD-150 camcorder and it received a lot of attention from Russian customs, an apparent still camera on the other hand usually gets through unnoticed.

Unpredictable file numbering and lack of control of what goes where on the two chips needs attention.  Here's where the camera messed me up today:

filled chip in slot #1 and started to put shots on slot #2.  Took a break, removed the full chip and extracted the chip from slot #2 to upload pictures.  Formatted a new chip in slot #1, then moved it to slot #2 as new backup chip.  Returned former backup chip to slot #1 and continued shooting.    All new shots went onto slot #2, ignoring the chip that had been holding current work...  Formatting a chip in either slot shows only that the top level directory is set up, but the directory L101xxxx does not appear until you need it.  Well, the camera thought it needed it, I guess.

So the request is -- directory naming as in the M9, M240 and subsequent

control of what goes on which chip consistent with other pro 2-chip cameras.  Backup or duplicate is not enough control.

scott 

I did some checking today to see if the DNG files produced when an R lens is mounted contains the  parameters needed to correct for distortion. Many lenses do produce these.  The 80, 90 and 100 telephotos, which have very mild pincushion distortion, have a correction factor.  Even the APO 180 telephotos, which you would think were perfect, have a tiny correction expressed.  The 35/1.4 R and the 19/2.8 R, which have significant barrel distortion, pass correction information along in the DNG

But the 15/2.8, which has -2.5% barrel distortion at the sides and -1% at the corners, does not. 

scott

On metering, it would be great to be able to adjust the size of the "circle" for spot metering.

I have had quite a few instances, especially with back light where you spot meter off someone's face and as they might be a little bit away from the camera their head might not fill enough of the circle.

As a result they end up as being underexposed unless you also use exposure compensation as well.

The joystick is fantastic for spot metering, so it would just add to the usability for me to be able to also adjust the spot up or down depending on the situation.