NEW M.. This year.. This Fall...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although the current M240 was announced over three years ago It has only been available from stock since summer 2013 when I bought mine. As the M240 is a pretty mature product I am in no hurry to change it for a newer model which at considerable cost would probably provide relatively modest improvements on the existing model. I did upgrade from the M9 after only 2 1/2 years but on that occasion the improvements in LCD, shutter, ISO and of course the great expansion in versatility due to Live View and EVF made it well worth it. I doubt if the next iteration will show anything like a similar advance.

I can remember, that I wrote something similar and regretted it afterwards.

I can tell you that what people described as the advantages of the M240 over the M9 will be exactly what will be included in a new M: a yet much more improved LCD, a really great EVF, and live view that works with movable magnification area and hopefully no shutter lag. When the improvements I was hoping for in the M-P version of the M240 will make the new functions finally usable for what I need them for (portraiture), I will be happy to buy the new M. Why call a model the M-P if nothing has really been perfected over the M240?

I can tell you that what people described as the advantages of the M240 over the M9 will be exactly what will be included in a new M: a yet much more improved LCD, a really great EVF, and live view that works with movable magnification area and hopefully no shutter lag. When the improvements I was hoping for in the M-P version of the M240 will make the new functions finally usable for what I need them for (portraiture), I will be happy to buy the new M. Why call a model the M-P if nothing has really been perfected over the M240?

This for me too, I've hesitated in buying another M body, thinking its probably only another 6 months or so till the next one, which is due judging by past upgrade cycles.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been shooting the m240 without the evf for the past 3 months, my rangefinder and calibration are perfect for all my lenses and it is clear, concise, no blackout, no delay, no waiting for playback to end.  It is a real joy to get back to basics with the camera.  Leica doesn't need to do anything major with the new M, leave the RF alone, update the processor and sensor as we have seen in the Q and SL.  Regarding the evf, the current version has been a good first attempt, improvemnets in placement is primary so my nose doesn't smear the rf window.  If we have to have a large lump sitting on the top plate Leica could put a removable evf above the rf window, thus freeing the hotshoe for flash, thumbsup, microphone (does anyone use this accessory?) or as I like to sometimes shoot with an accessory optical viewfinder.      

• 3 weeks later...

Luigi this is another M (an M-E replacement effectively) but not the new M240 replacement.....I expect that is more likely to appear in time for photokina 2016 (in the meantime there is the Typ 240 a la carte program to keep people interested).

Edited by stevelap
  • Like 2

Luigi this is another M (an M-E replacement effectively) but not the new M240 replacement.....I expect that is more likely to appear in time for photokina 2016 (in the meantime there is the Typ 240 a la carte program to keep people interested).

Exactly this.

• Like 1

I hope the 262 sets the direction for Leica's new M, with two streams of M, one that keeps the pure photography rangefinder as the core and one that offers the functionality that some desire. The SL in my view shows the way Leica re moving and I'm very encouraged, this fills a gap that took me while to appreciate (even though I don't want one)

I can see the opportunity for two model streams for the new M, one that focuses on pure rangefinder photography with selective technology support, without video, automation and other unnecessary features allowing weight and size to come to the forefront . The other carries on from where the M240 left off 

My perfect M has always been one that is M6 size and weight, a display size of the M9 or smaller (but higher quality) with a very clever glass viewfinder that intgrates with electronic support to allow wide angle lenses to be used without additional viewfinders. But then that's just me