NEW M.. This year.. This Fall...

A root canal or an SL?  From the interweb postings it would seem that a lot of folks out there would rather have the former.   :wacko:

A root canal done by the expertly hands of Jaap must be a work of art and a much better long term investment than the SL :D

• Like 1

Why? Let it run until the Next M does appear, whenever that may be ;)

It might be interesting for Leica to shift to a four-year cycle for M cameras - who knows. It would hit Photokina each time and the system is pretty mature anyway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] It might be interesting for Leica to shift to a four-year cycle for M cameras - who knows. It would hit Photokina each time and the system is pretty mature anyway.

The EVF has reached its maturation limit though. It should be made upgradable in case of life cycle extension.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

It might be interesting for Leica to shift to a four-year cycle for M cameras - who knows. It would hit Photokina each time and the system is pretty mature anyway.

Although the current M240 was announced over three years ago It has only been available from stock since summer 2013 when I bought mine. As the M240 is a pretty mature product I am in no hurry to change it for a newer model which at considerable cost would probably provide relatively modest improvements on the existing model. I did upgrade from the M9 after only 2 1/2 years but on that occasion the improvements in LCD, shutter, ISO and of course the great expansion in versatility due to Live View and EVF made it well worth it. I doubt if the next iteration will show anything like a similar advance.

The EVF has reached its maturation limit though. It should be made upgradable in case of life cycle extension.

Unfortunately nothing in the electronics world is upgradeable for the long term. Even an externally mounted hotshot has mount design restrictions. Just see want happened to the Apple accessories market before Apple introduced the lightning jack.

Edited by rramesh

It is not quite so easy to seperate the EVF and the camera. The M240 lacks the CPU performance to support more modern higher resolution EVFs.

Not sure if we can agree here. If Leica is planning to shift to a 4 year cycle, they'd better render the EVF upgradable, failing which it will be outdated too soon. The fact that it is an accessory EVF is not an excuse for obsolescence at this price level IMHO.

Edited by lct

A root canal done by the expertly hands of Jaap must be a work of art and a much better long term investment than the SL  :D

A hard-core fisherman here asked his dentist to incorporate a fishing line cutter in his front teeth and flat surface crowns on upper and lower first molars to crush weights. "Ya won't do it?" he said? "After what the crowns will cost anyway?" He sounded like a Leica whiner