The ideal two lens kit... 35mm f2 + ...

ShivaYash

Thanks to all. I love the 35 summicron and it has been the body cap to my m8 for seven years. But I'm selling the body now as I've got a m-e. I think I may invest the cash generated from its sale on a second lens.

Considering you are now using full frame, a 50 seems to be locked-in. I probably would be a happier traveler (despite my love of the 35 Summicron also) with a 28mm  Elmarit paired with the 50mm Summicron. This also takes into consideration the faster sensor. Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

35 & 50

35mm for landscape and street.

50mm for persons and details.

Your reasonings sums up perfectly what I've also found.

I've used a 50mm f2 Summicron v5 for years. It is a brilliant length for making images of people close up. I'd like an APO one day though - its rendering is beautiful.

I only recently added the 35mm Summi ASPH. It has been a joy for a holiday trip in the French Alps. The 50mm was just too tight for land / cityscapes a lot of the time.

• Like 1

Despite the subjectivity of all such decisions, I tend to like threads like these. Often, it comes down to a 50 and either a 28 or 35. Is the 35 too close to the 50? Is the 28 too wide and, thus, a specialty lens? Hard questions. I don't have conclusive answers for myself (but hope to one day), so it's hard to make recommendations for others. But fun to ponder.

Edited by ramosa
  • Like 2

WATE + 28/2 + 50/1.4 + 90 Macro.  One on the camera and one in one pocket and, here it comes... two in the other.  My two lens kit.  Why limit yourself?  You should see my three lens kit. :)  

I absolutely agree.  As long as the lenses are not overly large and heavy, it is easy to have a three lens kit, with one on the camera and the others in left and right hand (preferably zipped) pockets of a suitable coat.  I use thin canvas bags with drawstrings to accommodate the lenses whilst they are in my pockets.  As I am mainly a 50 mm lens shooter, I do not find it easy to consider a two lens kit.  I invariably require a focal length either side such as a 28/35 mm lens and telephoto lens such as a 90 mm lens 

What is the ideal general photography two lens kit?

Of course the classic being the 35 & 50 but are there any others, worthy of debate?

f2 is fine.

It depends what you're shooting as well as your own style and expression

I've been around many focal lenghts and now i've got three 35 mm, all Summicrons, though different models, simply because 35 mm suits my need and style.

So to answer your question, it (for me at least) is 35 mm and 35 mm, given you have two cameras.

Edited by BjarniM
  • Like 1

Having just been away for the weekend to north Norfolk, I took three lenses; 35 Cron, 50 Lux, 90 Summarit. It covered every need. Had I taken the 135 Tele Elmarit I might have managed to get a better shot of seals, but with the boat bouncing around in the swell it would have been more luck than judgement.