Travel M Lens Kit

lottic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, stephan54 said:

When visiting the castles in Japan, I use a different lens for each castle so to guarantee variety in subject choice.

I think this is a really good point you raise, and something along these lines informs how I choose gear when I travel. I often think about what it is I hope to produce from the trip, and work backwards from there.

A couple of years ago I went on a serious hiking trip in the high Sierra. I knew in advance that I wanted to get one or two landscape pictures to print and frame big. So I brought one lens, a 28mm, because it made sense to keep it simple and just pursue those one or two images. (I also took lots of 28mm snapshots, but more with the idea of keeping them as documentation—not producing prints.)

On other trips, I’ve known in advance that I want to print a book afterward, with maybe thirty or forty images. And when that’s my goal, I’ll bring multiple lenses and use them explicitly to create variety in perspective. Sometimes I’ll even say something like: I want four good wide-angle images, one for each day of the trip, and one portrait of each person on the trip, and one image of each hotel lobby, and so on.

Every year my family and I go to the same beach town for a vacation. I try to maintain consistency from year to year, with the idea that, down the road, I might combine the images from many years into one book. And that means that every year I shoot with the same kit: Pentax 67ii with a 45mm lens, and Leica on film with a 28mm. Lately I’ve been thinking that I should actually reduce it down just to the Pentax, because the images are so beautiful, but taking a Pentax 67ii to the beach is not so great. So I try to keep it organized: the Leica is for shots near the surf, the Pentax is for sun-kissed images made near the house.

In ordinary life, I just use whatever gear strikes my fancy. But for travel, and a few other purposes, I like this working-backwards-from-a-final-product approach. It makes the photographic process less opportunistic and more engaging for me.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a 3 weeks trip to Australia and New Zealand.

Had the following equipment with me: M-A with 35mm Steel Rim reissue, M10-R with 28mm Summaron reissue, 50mm Summilux ASPH in the bag waiting to be installed if needed. The 50mm was barely used (although I truly love this lens!), most photos done with the 35mm.

Will visit Japan beginning of April for 2 weeks and I’m thinking to bring along: M-A with 35mm Steel Rim reissue, M10-R with 35mm Summicron V4 (or 35mm Summilux ASPH). Only 35mm, no other focal lengths. Not sure I’ll manage to do it for real.. 😂

Edited by junix
Posted too early by mistake
  • Like 1

I never cease to marvel at variety of travel objectives and equipment that posters here bring up. All of which leaves me in disbelief when a poster asks, 'which lens combo for  . . . '

Surely by now you know your own shooting style and desires.

I should say compliments to the previous two posters. Whilst not my style, they seem to know exactly what they want. Refreshing.

On 11/6/2023 at 5:48 PM, wizard said:

A two lens kit consisting of the MATE (28, 35 and 50mm)

The Konica Dual 21-35 mm works very well in the Asian cities . I’d add an ‘evening’ lens to the setup, just in case. I have been traveling between Bangkok, HK and Southern China for the last few months and have only three M lenses with me: the Dual, 40mm Minolta and 90mm Tele-Elmarit. My nighttime lens is the minuscule Minolta. 

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

When traveling I have two film M bodies with me and two 35mm lenses, plus 10-20 rolls of colour and B&W. When travelling on assignment, I add an SL2-S with another 35mm or 50mm. The latter in case I will shoot portraits. 

There are many reasons why 35mm is the sweet spot for documentary photography and beyond. But reason No 1 is the fact that I know it best. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 2:28 PM, newtoleica said:

Of course it's VERY personal. For me 'street' (often while travelling) is (almost) all I do. So I take what I have, all of it... I don't see a 'travel kit' as a light 2nd choice. I have three lenses that suit me perfectly on account of their different viewpoints and their rendering characteristic.

An M10-P, (in order of use) a 24 summilux, a 35mm ASPH pre-fle summilux, an APO summicron 50 (for when I need a bit more distance from my subjects). All fits in a small Billingham Hadley. VERY occasionally if I'm going somewhere with a dark sky I will take my Venus D-reamer f2 15mm, but I only take it out when needed and with a tripod.

Recently the M7 has been staying at home as I've not had the time to process film.

Worth updating this as I had a bit of a new year reorganisation. 
I’ve sold the M7, my remaining film and paper stock and the darkroom gear and will be getting a good printer (Epson P900). The 50 APO went to a buyer in Japan and is being replaced with an APO 75 that is being calibrated. I added a Q2 that will be my family, wet weather and ‘stick in the bag on a brief work trip’ camera.  Sticking with the 10-p 24 and 35 though may eventually add an M10-M.

vor 1 Minute schrieb shirubadanieru:

Nothing beats one body with one 35mm, the most versatile focal length from my pov. 

…for me (and my M3) 35mm is too wide.

I like the angel of view of the 50mm lenses.

Best,

Jens

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jensthoes said:

…for me (and my M3) 35mm is too wide.

I like the angel of view of the 50mm lenses.

Best,

Jens

Yeah 50mm works as well I think the cron v4 is a perfect lens for travel small and light but given m3 doesn’t focus to 0.7m then I suggest the summilux v2 

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb shirubadanieru:

Yeah 50mm works as well I think the cron v4 is a perfect lens for travel small and light but given m3 doesn’t focus to 0.7m then I suggest the summilux v2 

…never had a problem to focus until 0,7 m with my camera (but I have only 40 y of experience with it;-).

The photos are plenty sharp at the focussing point at the closest distance.

So I don‘t worry about it.

Best,

Jens

• Like 1

If I travel to big cities and have to decide for only 2 lenses, I prefer a 21mm and something in the short-tele / portrait range (in my case a 75mm) but as this does not match with any of @lottic's lenses, again: There is no right or wrong here.

Carrying two cameras around all day would be too burdensome for me. So I would take only the M and 2-3 lenses.

Edited by 3D-Kraft.com

On 1/13/2024 at 7:30 AM, ynp said:

The Konica Dual 21-35 mm works very well in the Asian cities .

Darn, I wanted to go to Cambodian countryside... now I will have to leave this lens behind.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, erl said:

Because it is, reputedly, an Asian 'city' lens. :rolleyes:

Oh. 😃The OP was about traveling to Korea and Japan.. and I was trying to give my opinion along the lines. 🙂 😇

On 1/13/2024 at 2:17 AM, jensthoes said:

Always my travel kit - as long, as I can get slide films:

Leica M3 + Summicron-M 50mm IV

That‘s all I need.

Best,

Jens

Indeed!  The Summicron 50v4 is the pinnacle of the diminutive std. crons., IMHO :^)

• Like 3

For the last decade or so I've travelled with a couple M2's and jus the 35mm focal length -- some variety of look like an 8 element and pre-aspherical Summilux so that you can tell which is which from the negs.  Last trip I also took a 21 super angulon, but only used it a few times, forcing myself to use it.  I tend to use my feet more than to grab a different focal length.  I like to keep things simple too, and for me less gear means more simplicity.  

• Like 1