Travel M Lens Kit

lottic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was looking for some opinions and thoughts about which lenses to bring for my upcoming trip. I will be travelling for the first time to Korea and Japan for a period of 3 weeks. In Korea; I will be predominantly in Seoul; whereas in Japan I intend to spend a fair bit of time in Tokyo; with 2-3 day stays in Kyoto and Osaka. The majority of the time will be in dense urban settings. 

My current gear (that I've narrowed down) includes:

Leica Q-P (Typ 116)

Leica M10-P

28mm Summaron reissue

35mm Summicron asph II

50mm Summilux asph II (close focus)

90mm Elmarit (latest)

I seldomly use a tripod. 

I was thinking to keep it as simple as possible; and have considered just the 35mm summicron and 50mm summilux for low light. What would you take? or rather; what would your kit be for such a trip?

Cheers!

I have never been to either place, so I might be talking out of my hat. But Your Q gives you the 28, so wouldn't bring an M 28 lens. The 35 for me is standard, so I'd take that and for bare bones just the 90.  But if you can handle one more, then the 50 for close focus, but doesn't the Q give you that?  So may leave that behind.  

But if this is a rare trip unlikely to be repeated anytime soon, I'd take what ever I wanted - just in case. Leica M lenses are so small and light you can take several in a jacket pocket with ease. I doubt I'd bother with with a tripod. 

More batteries and cards of course!  What ever you take, have fun, see wonderful sites and make some memorable pictures.  

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to explore some brilliant places, especially with photography in mind.

I agree with your assessment. I am personally shortly leaving for a month in the USA (where, admittedly, I've been before) and will be taking an M6TTL along with a 35mm f2 and maybe a 50mm f1.4 for the hell of it. And just FP4+ film. Otherwise I find that more choice can impede on getting the most out of the experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to explore some brilliant places, especially with photography in mind.

I agree with your assessment. I am personally shortly leaving for a month in the USA (where, admittedly, I've been before) and will be taking an M6TTL along with a 35mm f2 and maybe a 50mm f1.4 for the hell of it. And just FP4+ film. Otherwise I find that more choice can impede on getting the most out of the experience.

That's a very good point, I'm guilty of fumbling trying to change lenses when I bring everything along!

• Haha 1

I spent time in each city back in 2019... Back then my kit was a Leica Q and a non-Leica mirrorless camera with 24-105mm. I used the Q nearly 70% of the time looking back at the metadata. 

If I were to do it again with the options you presented... I would take everything but the 35mm... I would use the Q most of the time with the M10p with 50mm always on the body to quickly have at the ready. The 28mm summaron is so tiny I would take as a backup for the 28mm focal length in case something happens to the Q. The 90mm I would use the least but some of my favorite shots that I did not get with my Q on my trip back then came at the tele end of the 24-105 focal range.

Alternatively if I wanted to go a different route and extra light... the M10p w/35mm lens only if photography wasn't the main focus of the trip.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is your usual STYLE of photography. This is the best guide for what gear to take. A new city does not change your image preferences. Take what you would shoot your own city with.

I always take 'the lot' packed into a capacious Billingham bag. That I leave in the hotel or wherever I stay and cherry pick from it for daily excursions. Working on the theory that I will probably never return somewhere, I don't want to miss great opportunities just because I didn't bring the right gear. This just like a carpenter arriving at a new job. He always brings all his tools and uses whatever is appropriate. Too heavy you may say. I reply, you must suffer for your craft. The rewards are worth it.

• Like 3

Take what you like to use most here. If you have a safe place to leave your lenses, I would consider taking all with you on the trip. Then, I usually chose one to mount on each body in the morning depending on what to expect that day. The Q makes that simple, it is 28mm anyway. Your 28mm would be a backup unless you decide to leave your Q in storage one day. In that case it could end up in a pocket with the 50mm (or 35mm) mounted on the M10. Just for when you really need a wider angle. I never change lenses in open air. It ruined half of my vacation shots on one occasion because of a large spec of dust that I did not notice until I saw the results when I got home. Now, I go drink a coffee or so and then change lenses inside.

If you think that you are going to need long shutter times, I would consider to bring a mono pod. It really helps if you do not have IBIS and need to shoot in dim light.

Your kit isn't dissimilar to mine. If I were making the same trip, I'd do one of two things:

• M10-P with 35mm Summicron.
  • M10-P with 28mm Summaron and 50 Summilux

It would depend on how much you like using the Summaron, I think.

To me, the place to start with questions like this is to ask what you hope to produce, photographically. My general view is that there's no need to make tourist-y shots while traveling. If you visit an amazing temple in Japan, you could worry about capturing it with a very wide angle lens—but of course those images will all be available already online. They're actually generic. So what really matters is capturing your experience of the trip. And that might be done best with a single normal lens, like the 35mm, or with two fairly artistic lenses, the 28mm Summaron and 50 Summilux.

Edited by JoshuaRothman
  • Like 6

For decades my travel kit was 35, 50, & 90 (and sometimes a small 21). Now I enjoy only taking my M10 with 35 Summarit 2.5 mounted. Instead of picking a lens for the subject, I find a view that fits the lens. Also, for my use Summarit images can crop significantly if needed.

• Like 2

I am just back from 2 weeks in South Korea. We did big cities (Seoul), small places (Gyeongju), nature (Seoraksan) and more. All of it in the finest autumn weather.

I brought only my M10R with the Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH (FLE 2) along  with 3 batteries and a number of SD cards. I never ran short of power or storage. I never had to fiddle with lenses or batteries when out and about.

I photographed day and night - it all worked very well.

I send you my best wishes for a good trip.

I’ve both worked, and travelled for leisure in both countries you mentioned.

The city sizes there are huge and make Sydney/Melb look very small, so you could be out from your accommodation for a long time each day and it’s tiring to carry a heavy camera bag. For that reason I only ever carried a single lens on my M240, wanting to carry the lightest daily load. Some trips I only had a 35FLE, other trips just a 50APO. Carry a spare battery or two.

I often found the 50 being my preferred choice for getting the shot in those two countries.

In the cities you mentioned, many of the streets are extremely wide and long (50 will be great), and then some of the alleyways can be a bit tight (your Q will be useful).

In Tokyo, make some time to peruse the shop “Map Camera” to get an understanding of how significant Leica is in Japan.

The shop is located just outside the Shinjuku train station….. see google maps.

In Seoul, if you need a rest, visit the theatre to watch Nanta in Myeong-dong.  I tell people if you don’t watch this show, you haven’t been to S Korea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just returned from a trip to New England with my mom and took what I would normally, an MP240, 21SEM, 35/1.4 FLE, 75mm f2 APO and 135mm f3.4 APO.

No backpack or heavy-duty bag required.

I bought them to use/take with me everywhere, not leave at home.

• Like 1

I'm heading to Tokyo in a little over three weeks and have between pondering over the same question. 

I welcome the specifics cited above by dugby pertaining to the physical scale of Tokyo. That's the kind of information I've been looking for. Thanks!

I'm considering now the mix of bodies and lenses. Some are a given. The 35mm Summicron. The 50mm Summilux. And certainly the 90mm Macro Elmar, one of the best travel lenses I've ever seen. Possibly the 28mm Elmarit.

My primary body will be the M11M, beginning each day with one of the lenses mentioned above, with the others in a belt pack. Also in that pack will be a second body, possibly with another lens already mounted. 

That's the pending decision: which backup? Three choices: the M11 with one of the lenses already mentioned is the obvious choice. But also under consideration is the Fujifilm X-T5, possibly with the 56mm f/1.2 R WR primarily mounted. If so, I'll also pack (for the trip, but not necessity each day) the 23mm f/1.3, and the 16-55mm f/2.8. There's a solid argument for simply mounting the 16-55mm; it's an incredibly flexible lens, kind of Fujifilm's more compact answer to the 24-90mm Vario-Elmart-L. But the 56mm f/1.2, when it's the right lens for the shot, is almost the only lens for the shot. It's a very special lens. 

The other alternative I'm considering for the backup is the Fujifilm X100V. Simply stick it in a pocket and you're practically set for anything. Maybe toss in the auxiliary Wide and Tele converters for good measure in a very compact package. 

I'll end up with some combination of the above. Might bring them all and leave what I don't need in the hotel room safe. Each day will probably place different demands on the load out. 

If I could only bring one lens? I'd have to go with the 35mm Summicron-M. On the M11 or M11M it can masquerade as a lot of lenses, much in the manner of the ~28mm on the Q Series. 

It's hard to make a bad decision in any of this. The most important thing is NOT to second-guess yourself constantly. That's how one could get distracted and miss shots. I'll pick something and just be happy to be there doing what I love. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Well, Lottic, I think it must be clear to you after reading such a variety of suggestions that the decision is entirely up to you. All the previous posters, me included, do not entirely agree. And neither we should. The decisions are very personal and our personal expectations vary as widely as our gear choices.

Once you are on your way, forget decisions and just enjoy the experience with whatever you take with you.

Wow, the responses here have given much more to ponder. The intent of the trip is to soak in culture, have great food and do some shopping. I've listed Map Camera as a must do; as well as Yodobashi and BIC for small trinkets and accessories. I could probably spend entire days in those stores but I doubt my wife would be keen on that!

My intent is to enjoy ourselves and our company exploring new places; the photography is a nice-to-have. I was thinking I would absolutely bring just one camera; to save on bringing a second set of batteries/chargers; so I've opted not to bring the Q-P.

Plus, I'd love to bring the M; because I do want to take some time to look at and likely buy some secondhand M lenses from the variety of stores around. I've been stalking MAP camera's ebay store; but it'd be so much better to shop around in person!

The thought of shooting an entire holiday on one lens sounds like an exciting challenge. Now that I think about it; I have inadvertently done this before in Queenstown when I took just the GFX50R and the 50mm 3.5 (40mm equivalent).

So (though my mind is likely to change in the weeks to come!); I think I'll go for just the M10-P and the 35mm summicron! 

(and if I'm very desperate; I'll pick up the modern 50 2.8 elmar, or 90 macro elmar in Japan and just use them!)

Edited by lottic

I dont know seoul as well, but lived in tokyo for two years and some of the scenes will be similar

I would bring just the 28 and 50 - often times you will be surrounded by lots of people and interesting buildings so I would keep the 28 mounted, also useful for temples - though the summaron is a little limiting for indoors

for people in omotesando, harajuku etc a 50 is good also if you want the 90 could be useful if you feel like carrying one more

when I was living there I was still on the dark side :) - a much loved Canon 5D - and used pretty much only a 50 and a 24, very occasionaly the 70-200

1 hour ago, lottic said:

Wow, the responses here have given much more to ponder. The intent of the trip is to soak in culture, have great food and do some shopping. I've listed Map Camera as a must do; as well as Yodobashi and BIC for small trinkets and accessories. I could probably spend entire days in those stores but I doubt my wife would be keen on that!

My intent is to enjoy ourselves and our company exploring new places; the photography is a nice-to-have. I was thinking I would absolutely bring just one camera; to save on bringing a second set of batteries/chargers; so I've opted not to bring the Q-P.

Plus, I'd love to bring the M; because I do want to take some time to look at and likely buy some secondhand M lenses from the variety of stores around. I've been stalking MAP camera's ebay store; but it'd be so much better to shop around in person!

The thought of shooting an entire holiday on one lens sounds like an exciting challenge. Now that I think about it; I have inadvertently done this before in Queenstown when I took just the GFX50R and the 50mm 3.5 (40mm equivalent).

So (though my mind is likely to change in the weeks to come!); I think I'll go for just the M10-P and the 35mm summicron! 

(and if I'm very desperate; I'll pick up the modern 50 2.8 elmar, or 90 macro elmar in Japan and just use them!)

Having just returned from my 6th trip to Japan, and having used Leica M on all trips with a combination of two lenses selected from 28, 35 and 50, I think your decision to go with the M10 and 35 Summicron is perfect. Within the confines of Tokyo you will want for nothing with a 35mm lens.

In fact I suspect both your photography and you travel experience will be greatly enhanced by simplifying your carry to one camera and one lens. This not least because when walking all day surrounded by new sights and sensations, the distraction of multiple cameras and lenses, and the weight of same (which increases by 10% with each hour carried) diminishes rather than enhances the experience IMO.

Enjoy what will doubtless be an amazing trip!

• Like 5