Ideal Case for Q3

thinkTANK Mirrorless Mover 10

has perfect size and is really unobtrusive.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

As far as I’m concerned, if the question is ‘bag’, the answer is always ‘Billingham’!  On this occasion, the 72.  I have one and it’s a good fit for the Q series cameras with excellent padding and traditional construction - a little more bulky than some, but with unequalled protection.  (Incidentally, I have no connection with Billingham except that I’ve given them far too much of my money over the years!)

On 12/14/2023 at 7:41 AM, mrkennethtong said:

There surely exists a tight and snug fitting case for the Q3 that one can travel with that is tiny...

It's all personal preference. No right or wrong choice. FWIW, here is my review of LIM's half case.

I should note my LIM's half case just sits in the box on a shelf because I haven't used it since I wrote the review. In my opinion, the Q3 is far more of a pleasure to use without it. Though I think a thumb rest is mandatory. I love the Leica thumb rest I have for it though it's way overpriced.

Edited by MindsEye
  • Like 2

I liked the Arte di Mano case very much the one with battery access. Now I am using the Leica grip with finger loop to go strapless. I tried the Leica Holster but it was either too metrosexual or concealed carry.

Edited by rtai
  • Like 2

I’ve just acquired a peak design every day sling 3l

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

my Q3 with hood+thumb grip, spare battery, leash, wallet, usbc plug with cable for phone and camera charging, notebook and pen, handkerchief and phone with which I took the pic also fitting.

Can fit in my SL2S and pan 24-105 sans hood which don’t intend doing, just tried out of interest.

Not sure I’d want anything smaller tbh

4 hours ago, huwm said:

I’ve just acquired a peak design every day sling 3l

my Q3 with hood+thumb grip, spare battery, leash, wallet, usbc plug with cable for phone and camera charging, notebook and pen, handkerchief and phone with which I took the pic also fitting.

Can fit in my SL2S and pan 24-105 sans hood which don’t intend doing, just tried out of interest.

Not sure I’d want anything smaller tbh

I got one of those for my Q3. I like the design and execution; but I but found it too small for comfort. I exchanged it for the 6L version. The biggest challenge was finding and reading the serial numer required for warranty registration. In the end I had to use my phone to illuminate the secret location and was thankful for the 60Mp of the Q3 I used to photograph the 13 digit number. Only those who have had to do so will believe how difficult it is!

Edited by David Wien
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mmk60 said:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a 3L version without seeing it in person. Still undecided tho. The opening looks a bit too small for easy  in and out.

The Q3 goes in and out, of the 3L; but leaves little room for anything else. I am sure that the 6L has twice the volume of the 3L, because I trust Peak Design; but it doesnt look twice as big. However, you can get a lot more inside, though the pockets designated for extra SD cards and batteries are of no use to me, as I dont carry extras. (I may unpick the stitching between two of these to make a larger one to carry credit cards.) I made a space under one of the dividers to put the lens hood, etc. There is room for my phone in the front compartment, and other stuff; and space in the main compartment for odds and sods -- like the string bags I carry in case I have some shopping to do. In my opinion, it is better to have more rather than less spare capacity, and I am sure that I shall find a use for it! The contender in my search was the Think Tank Retrospective, which is slightly larger; but the PQ is better designed and made, and the sling options are more convenient to me.

Edited by David Wien

7 hours ago, mmk60 said:

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a 3L version without seeing it in person. Still undecided tho. The opening looks a bit too small for easy  in and out.

hard to define 'easy'

You do have to hold it open with in my case the left thumb and index finger but I don't think it more problematic than my think tank retrospective 7l, think tank urban access 10l, Osprey Daylite sling 6l or either my shimoda action 30l, rapha 20l or Ally Capellino satchel all of which hold more but are not any 'easier' to run and gun so to speak.

If you really want quick access then camera in hand with wrist strap or a PD leash.

It feels more comfortable than my alternatives for just strolling around or hopping on my e bike.

Till I started listing I hadn't realised what a bag tart I was, there's also a Bensimon messenger bag that has become my outdoor swim bag, way too big for Q3.

Rapha for all day cycle tours, Urban access for SL2S on 'serious' photo excursions, Shimoda for actual 'hiking' etc is how I rationalise 🙄

On 12/19/2023 at 4:48 AM, rtai said:

I liked the Arte di Mano case very much the one with battery access. Now I am using the Leica grip with finger loop to go strapless. I tried the Leica Holster but it was either too metrosexual or concealed carry.

Well, that’s at least one other person using a grip and fingerloop 😜

For what it’s worth: I use a Leica half case and strap with a Leica neoprene case for added protection (if needed)

When I want to be a bit classier, a leather Ona Bowery with camera grip and fingerloop.

…and for general knockabout protection a Peak Design 5 (an older model) or 10 litre everyday sling. (The 10 litre is a bit of overkill - it’s a deep bag for a Q)

I normally carry a spare battery, a small dust blower and — because I use a Monochrom — a stack of coloured filters. The Bowery and Peak Design are a good size with a little extra room for eyeglasses etc. The PD 3 litre looks a little small…

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pcgarner said:

It's been said before, but Domke makes a bag that is almost perfect. I've now gone through five different small bags for my Q2M and have finally returned to the Domke. Spend a few minutes before you commit to anything and browse their offerings.

Chacun à son...

Practical, maybe, but styled like something my father had in the army 80 years ago! Thanks for bringing this to our attention: but I personally prefer the Peak Design. 😀

Hm, I wasn't referring to style, David, but rather functionality. Yes, the Domke bags have hardly changed in decades, but that applies to Billingham and many other makers. Some things are classic. And remember that there's hardly unanimity about the appearance of the Peak designs. To each his own, as in all things.

Edited by pcgarner

5 hours ago, thegobi said:

Well, that’s at least one other person using a grip and fingerloop 😜

Maybe not for long. The fingerloop twists my hand in an uncomfortable way when I reach for the shutter. If that Q2 shutter button was half an inch forward it would be more natural.