Travel M Lens Kit

lottic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, lottic said:

The intent of the trip is to soak in culture, have great food and do some shopping. I've listed Map Camera as a must do; as well as Yodobashi and BIC for small trinkets and accessories. I could probably spend entire days in those stores but I doubt my wife would be keen on that!

I also had these camera shops on my wish list earlier this year. I gave up on this plan because there were so many more interesting alternatives to visit in Tokyo and surroundings. For what it's worth, I travelled with 24mm and 50mm and would do that again. If forced to have a single lens, I would opt for 35mm as well. 

• Like 2

The opinions continue to differ. B)

It remains your choice and yours alone.

Step back apace. Why are you going? What is your prime objective. tailor you camera selection to that.

End of argument.

• Like 1

I like a 3-lens travel kit.   The most logical for travel I should take is 28-50-90 , but I like 35 so much (and it's such "do it all" focal length for me) that this becomes 35-50-90

The 35 stays on the camera and the 50/90 become for special purposes.....In my case that's portraits of varying distances, for things far away (obviously) or if I want to stay farther away in general photography than the 35 allows - this can happen in some settings and I don't know until I'm there. 

What that means is I end up shooting 90% + of the trip on the 35mm but I'm glad I have the others.

Realistically it's the 90mm that ends up getting left in hotel rooms but the 50mm comes out wherever the 35 and camera goes.   The 90 gets carried out only where I know there will be distance involved (landscapes).   

We plan to visit Tokyo next April and I will be doing as I've described.    

PS I've also really enjoyed a similar format but with 2 bodies (35/50 mounted one each, 90 spare) on a previous trip also.   If you aren't as set on the 35 then perhaps your equivalent could be :

• Q body (28)
  • M mounted with 50 
  • 90 for special purpose  

But in my view you would really need to see yourself carrying / using the 2 bodies at once when shooting for it to be worth it.   Otherwise pick a one body kit.    

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

I’m currently in Rome (having been in Hong Kong and Paris in the past few weeks).  I’m traveling with my X2D and XCD 38/2.5 V lens (equivalent field of view - 30mm).  I have also brought my APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8 (140mm fov) and an adapter for distance shots in Tuscany and the Alps.  I haven’t used the Elmarit yet, and don’t carry it at all as it is heavy.

My rationale was not just the incredible convenience and discipline of one lens (I generally prefer the 28/50 combination).  All three cities (perhaps Paris being the least) have tight streets and a feeling of height and enclosure.  So, subjects fill the 30mm field of view well.  AF is less of an interest, as the new V lenses have very good manual focus.  Close focus is a boon.

Speaking purely for myself, when I travel, I like to get immersed in the new environment.  Fiddling about with cameras and lenses is counter productive.  Even zooms and AF bother me.  My ideal is an M camera, with one good lens I’m comfortable with.  The X2D is an indulgence.  I don’t have a colour digital M  at the moment, but if my M10-D had come back from Wetzlar, I would have taken that with a 28 (Summaron or Summilux) & 50 (probably the APO Summicrons) and chose one as the main lens depending on where I am with the second as a back up (carried or not - preferrably not).

Weight and bulk is les of an issue for transportation, but once out and about, I’m with those who say one lens - leave the others in the hotel for other days.

Happy travels!

A two lens kit consisting of the MATE (28, 35 and 50mm) and a Macro-Elmar-M f4/90mm covers at least 95% of my shots. The MATE eliminates the need for frequent lens changing, and while f4 as a maximum aperture may seem challenging, it no longer is when using a digital M. If needed, just crank up the ISO and you are done.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course it's VERY personal. For me 'street' (often while travelling) is (almost) all I do. So I take what I have, all of it... I don't see a 'travel kit' as a light 2nd choice. I have three lenses that suit me perfectly on account of their different viewpoints and their rendering characteristic.

An M10-P, (in order of use) a 24 summilux, a 35mm ASPH pre-fle summilux, an APO summicron 50 (for when I need a bit more distance from my subjects). All fits in a small Billingham Hadley. VERY occasionally if I'm going somewhere with a dark sky I will take my Venus D-reamer f2 15mm, but I only take it out when needed and with a tripod.

Recently the M7 has been staying at home as I've not had the time to process film.

I support the idea of traveling, or walking-about for a day, with just a 35mm lens, as the author of the original post seems to have chosen. During more than one trip, when traveling with several lenses, I have used a 35mm lens for almost all of the images. (I have not, however, traveled to Asia.)

When traveling with more than one camera, I very rarely have both cameras outside a bag/pouch/pocket, ready to use. I keep one camera ready to use, and the other put away. If the lens on the camera in-hand is a 21mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, or 50mm, I am generally going to leave that lens in place, rather than change lenses. I seem to have developed a phobia of fumbling and dropping lenses, but, actually, it is a justified fear, based upon real fumbles, so, not a “phobia,” but a valid concern. 

I am not anti-Q, but a Q always has its lens affixed, so, it cannot be made as flat as an M camera. An M camera, with a body cap, or with a compact lens in place, can fit into a smaller space than can a Q. If I were to be carrying both Q and M cameras, I would need a comparatively more-voluminous pouch or bag to hold the Q. An M camera, and several lenses, can fit into a quite flat space.

These are just some scattered thoughts, rather than “travel advice.”

On 11/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, lottic said:

28mm Summaron reissue

50mm Summilux asph II 

90mm Elmarit

Since you already own the lenses I feel these Ould provide excellent coverage for most of your needs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ValerieD said:

Which 35, which 50, and more importantly, which 90?!

35:1.4 v2 & 50:1.4v3: My favourite pair I see them a really great match for consistency 

+ 90:2 v3: nice enough to accept a weight penalty over my previous choice 90:2.8 Elmarit-M (but that's also very nice and good with this set, I think)

Even as writing this I think I should reconsider the elmarit-m for this, but they are both great . I love the cron at F2 

Edited by grahamc
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have done Tokyo several times with just a 35mm and can say I have been quite happy.  (at times I have take the 50 and hardly used it)

I would however take 21 or wider and a 75/90 for the occasional shot.  I have the voigt color skopar 21 and the apo 90 which are reasonably small and light and not a hassle to carry around.

it does all add up once you add a charger or sorts or power bank and with all the walking you do.  

Anyway enjoy it's an awesome place.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been to both countries with only the 35mm cron. This focal length works well there for city and rural landscape/scene. I am assuming your trip is not purely photography trip? You may consider 28 + 50 classic combo. Your new 50 CF is too good to be left at home lol.

On 11/5/2023 at 3:46 AM, lottic said:

to keep it as simple as possible

I don’t do that on special journeys. I would miss my 90 in Kyoto, or 75 for portrait and I would miss my 28 in the metropoles. The argument for a 1.4 for low light is very relative with an M10-P, but I would bring this 50 too for its bokeh which I happen to like. This one for instance, was made with my 75lux.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 4:46 AM, lottic said:

what would your kit be for such a trip?

My "trip" to Japan was years 1984-87. Camera was OM-2, 35/2.8 and 85/2.0. Perfect combination, still think so. Shot almost only Kodachrome. Never wished for anything else, those were the days...

• Like 3

Have been to both countries several times. I would say bring the M and the four lenses. If you stay more than a day in one place, you could do several rounds with different lenses. In Tokyo I used the 28 a lot, but switched to the 75 or 135 to get some different shots.  e.g. When visiting the castles in Japan, I use a different lens for each castle so to guarantee variety in subject choice. I leave the other lenses in my hotel room. For evening walks I find my 50 Summilux very useful. Both are safe countries, so no problem carrying your camera around.

• Like 1

I've shot in Tokyo a few times, and Kyoto and the Okinawan islands.

For Tokyo the city definitely demands a wide angle, look at the work of Japanese street photographers like Moriyama. I use a 24 Summilux for this. The 35 is also useful, but on a crowded street it feels much more 'normal' than medium wide. 50 I can't comment as its a focal length I don't use much for street.

Temples and landscape details you might want to go a bit longer. I don't as I find using 75mm+ on a RF too tricky. TBH id you want to really capture the essence of a Zen temple the an ultrawide can be useful (21-15 sort of range), depends on what you want.

• Like 1