Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For 40 years on film my standard kit was 35 & 50 Summicrons (1969 versions - both small) and 90 T.E. (fat). With M9 and new 50 Summicron and 35 Summarit, files are clean enough to crop either, so 2-lens kit makes sense. I'm comfortable with just the 35, but sometimes do 21 Skopar and 50, or 35 and 90 Elmar-C. I like tiny lenses.

• Like 3

Went out all day today with 21/3.4, 28/2.8, 50/2 and 90/4. Used the first three, but mostly the 28 and 21 with the 50mm used about 15%. This was totally dependent upon location and subject.

A couple of days ago I went out all day with the 28/2.8, 35/20, 50/2.0 and 90/4. Used the 28 the most, used the 50mm 35% of the time and the 90mm15% of the time. Never put on the 35mm which is very uncommon for me.

Seems I can seldom make two lenses suffice for a many day trip or international travel. Thus, I don't have a "Two lens kit travel combo".

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm leaving for 18 days in the UK with most of the time in London. I started out thinking I'd take 28, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses, but am now down to 35 FLE and 50 Noctilux (I plan to do a lot of night shooting). Now I'm seriously thinking of leaving the Noctilux at home and just taking the 35 FLE.

I started out thinking I'd take 28, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses, but am now down to 35 FLE and 50 Noctilux (I plan to do a lot of night shooting). Now I'm seriously thinking of leaving the Noctilux at home and just taking the 35 FLE.

Have you considered leaving the 35 FLE at home too? Would certainly be a lightweight kit.  :D

I'm leaving for 18 days in the UK with most of the time in London. I started out thinking I'd take 28, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses, but am now down to 35 FLE and 50 Noctilux (I plan to do a lot of night shooting). Now I'm seriously thinking of leaving the Noctilux at home and just taking the 35 FLE.

I too, am about to embark upon a similar journey (27 days NYC and London) and have been undecided upon whether to take either my 35FLE or APO50 on the M240.

I mostly travel with only one lens on my M240, though a recent trip to Brasil, I only took the old faithful Digilux 2.

My gut feel for this next trip is the 35FLE, which I carried all over western China and was most pleased with it's versatility.

• Like 1

90 Macro and 35 Cron.

Yes, that's a good combination though obviously all these preferences depend upon what you want to take photographs of. Personally, I will rarely carry more than one lens unless I have a specific objective in mind where the additional lens will be useful or necessary. For travel (a "trip" aka holiday or vacation), unless you are backpacking, I don't see why you can't bring all or a small collection of your lenses with you. There is no obligation to carry them all around at any one time – you can always leave some behind in the hotel or in the boot of your car.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

Yes, that's a good combination though obviously all these preferences depend upon what you want to take photographs of. Personally, I will rarely carry more than one lens unless I have a specific objective in mind where the additional lens will be useful or necessary. For travel (a "trip" aka holiday or vacation), unless you are backpacking, I don't see why you can't bring all or a small collection of your lenses with you. There is no obligation to carry them all around at any one time – you can always leave some behind in the hotel or in the boot of your car.

Precisely my view. I am lucky enough to travel a lot and thats exactly what I do.

My camera bag and lenses stay in the hotel. My M240P normally has a 35FLE on it... but its nice to know the others are there and I can always go back and pick whatever I need. I don't often do it though... the 35FLE covers pretty much everything I want to do photographically. Especially as most of my travel is work related and I tend to be in various cities for a short period of time.

(besides, I have my iPhone 7 if I want a macro or 'record' shot).

• Like 2

I rarely carry two lenses, rather one (50) or three (35/50/90). Now for a two lens kit i would choose certainly a 35 and a 75. Take your pick. For good light my favorite combo would be Biogon 35/2.8 + Summarit 75/2.5, for low light Summilux 35/1.4 FLE + Summilux 75/1.4 but for travels i would probably prefer f/2 lenses so Summicrons 35/2 asph & 75/2 apo should to the trick. Now i like the Summarit 75 so much that i might well bring it instead of the Summicron. 

• Like 1