Ideal Case for Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, thegobi said:

Well, that’s at least one other person using a grip and fingerloop 😜

For what it’s worth: I use a Leica half case and strap with a Leica neoprene case for added protection (if needed)

When I want to be a bit classier, a leather Ona Bowery with camera grip and fingerloop.

…and for general knockabout protection a Peak Design 5 (an older model) or 10 litre everyday sling. (The 10 litre is a bit of overkill - it’s a deep bag for a Q)

I normally carry a spare battery, a small dust blower and — because I use a Monochrom — a stack of coloured filters. The Bowery and Peak Design are a good size with a little extra room for eyeglasses etc. The PD 3 litre looks a little small…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This Neoprene one is PERFECT, actually perfect. Can always put additional protection over it.

Nice.

14 hours ago, rtai said:

Maybe not for long. The fingerloop twists my hand in an uncomfortable way when I reach for the shutter. If that Q2 shutter button was half an inch forward it would be more natural.

So soon I shall be the only person using one… bwa ha ha ha ha haaar!

…but yes, there are only three sizes and not a lot of leeway for ergonomics.

I would definitely recommend trying them out in-store before buying. The medium sized one is just right for me, but I wouldn’t use it for long stretches.

It's always looked like an instrument of toirture to me, an impression confirmed by your advice not to use it for long stretches. Surely, the intention is to make holding the camera more comfortable. If your hand is shaped or sized such as it doesnt do this, it is clearly something to avoid.

Have you tried the variously shaped grips?

David

2 hours ago, David Wien said:

It's always looked like an instrument of toirture to me, an impression confirmed by your advice not to use it for long stretches. Surely, the intention is to make holding the camera more comfortable. If your hand is shaped or sized such as it doesnt do this, it is clearly something to avoid.

Have you tried the variously shaped grips?

David

I find it comfortable enough for the time I take the camera out of the bag - I just wouldn’t use it all day in one stretch. Only my middle two fingers go through it - little finger just holds the grip beneath it.

The intention was actually for security and safety - it is next to impossible to drop or have the camera knocked from your hand. I prefer it to a hand strap flopping about. It is also a handy grab handle for getting the camera out of the bag quickly.

I just use the Leica Q2 Monochrom grip because it matches the texture of the camera - works for me :)

I don’t want to derail a bag discussion with a fingerloop, but I do find it a handy accessory when I am just using a small bag and no strap.

My last accessory arrived today

now have thumb grip, shutter button, round hood and half case

all Ali express 

Done.

should mention that access to all ports etc ok

Edited by huwm
a ps

On 12/19/2023 at 6:22 PM, huwm said:

I’ve just acquired a peak design every day sling 3l

my Q3 with hood+thumb grip, spare battery, leash, wallet, usbc plug with cable for phone and camera charging, notebook and pen, handkerchief and phone with which I took the pic also fitting.

Can fit in my SL2S and pan 24-105 sans hood which don’t intend doing, just tried out of interest.

Not sure I’d want anything smaller tbh

I have just bought one yesterday, thanks for the pics. I'll take my Q3 on the slopes in Switzerland from tomorrow on. I'll revert with information if we survived (me and/or camera). 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, David Wien said:

The prices are certainly not attractive! Style is very 1960s, or earlier. 😀

David

@David Wien Agreed. My first SLR, a Canon FTb, came with one of those everready cases in the 70s. I didn't like it then and wouldn't get one now. But I suppose if you like the retro element of it...to each his own. After I bought a great half case for my Q3 (LIMs) I realized I much prefer using it without any case, but I find the thumb rest is indispensable. 

• Like 1

I am based in Asia, and forget that regular folk can't pay 100USD for a Neoprene Case with a Logo on it out here. Found this company on a local shopping Website. Only $9! 

I will get it, remove the logo tag, then get an embroider to stitch the Leica Logo in the original colors on the front. 

This one super dope for traveling, leather for 20USD.

• Like 1

Holster is not that bad...