The ideal two lens kit... 35mm f2 + ...

ShivaYash

50mm is the best single focal length for photographing people.

My other main passion is landscape, for which I favour 21mm.

But the best lens for people in a landscape is 35mm, also for street and interiors with people.

Best out-and-out close portrait lens is 90mm, which is also good for a minority of landscape shots.

Clearly the best 2 lens kit depends on what you are shooting, but I really have to question the rationale behind taking just 2 lenses. Is it because you only want to carry two heavy large aperture lenses? That would suggest you want to shoot people in low light, in which case the 35 and 74 luxes would be a great choice. Or is it because you only want to carry two cameras with one lens on each so you have quick reactions without having to ever change lenses? That sounds like event/wedding, street or photojournalism. Lens choice depends entirely on location. Or is it because you want to carry one camera and say 500g of optical goodness in a small bag for travel? If that is a family vacation you could do a 21/4, 35/2(or 1.4pre-ASPH), 90/4 combination for the same weight. If it's travel on a business trip, your only free time may be on an evening in a city, so go with a 35/1.4, 50/1.4 (or 21/1.4) plus a tabletop tripod.

If you really insist on a straight answer, I'd have to say 50/1.4 lux ASPH and 21/3.4 ASPH because that covers people and landscapes exceptionally well.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For the M240, I am moving back to two lenses, the 35/1.4 and 50/2. Sold my 21/3.4 and selling my 90/2 on FM. Taking the funds and buying a two lens kit for an A7sII including Batis 25/2 and Batis 85/1.8. Plan to carry the M240 with the 50/2 attached and the A7sII with the 25/2 attached. Lets me enjoy the OVF with the M240 while gaining low light and autofocus capability with the A7sII. May shoot with the M240 and 35/1.4 paired with the A7sII and 85/1.8 on occasion. Hopefully the two body solution will work better for me. Never liked the M240 EVF.

Edited by KanzaKruzer

• 5 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35+90.

I'm currently using 35mm Summilux f1.4 and Macro Elmar 90mm. 35mm is mainly used for street, landscape photography, 90mm for portrait, headshot and a bit of Macro photography(with adapter on). This combination works quite well as various shooting scenarios covered and the Macro lens is light weighted(~240g) and portable. I normally put 35mm on with my M10-R and leave 90mm in camera bag, never suffered neck pain with this lens set. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adam YW said:

35+90.

I'm currently using 35mm Summilux f1.4 and Macro Elmar 90mm. 35mm is mainly used for street, landscape photography, 90mm for portrait, headshot and a bit of Macro photography(with adapter on). This combination works quite well as various shooting scenarios covered and the Macro lens is light weighted(~240g) and portable. I normally put 35mm on with my M10-R and leave 90mm in camera bag, never suffered neck pain with this lens set. 

Hi and very much welcome to the forum! Enjoy it  👍😀

These two lenses plus M10M I have always with me: 28 + 50

If I had only one lens, it would be the 35mm. But with two lenses, I prefer the 28 because I have even more of a feeling of being in the middle of things without the extreme wide-angle effect of the 21 and I can still do it without an extra viewfinder. And the 50 is my standard lens, without distortion and with the best possible quality.  And both can be used perfectly with the rangefinder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

going to go in Creta for two weeks , I want to be light , after many consideration I think I will bring SL2 and M10D with summilux M28mm and my new noctilux f1,2  even if I have summilux sl 50, summicron sl90mm, vario elmarit 24-90 and many other M lenses and a M9MM ...... probably for a three lens kit I can add the very light and old 90mm elmar 3 lenses

The slightly-wide/slightly-telephoto two-lens setup has been a favorite of mine for a long time.

With my Leica rangefinder cameras, I used:

35mm f/1.4

90mm f/2

With my Nikon 35mm film SLR cameras I used:

35mm f/1.4

85mm f/1.4

With just these two lenses, I can capture about 70% of the images I need.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Narsuitus

Narsuitus - I'm with you on this combo - I'm now shooting with an SL2-S and on the road I'm using - 35 1.4 lux and either the 75 1.4 lux or 80 1.4 lux. That's about as much as I will carry. These past few weeks it's just the 80 1.4 lux. 

Edited by OR120
sp
  • Like 1

Goodness, depends...

But in general on a RF it would be 24Lux and 50 APO cron I use the 24 without a separate finder as its just a bit wider than the VF, you can estimate it. I think the 90 is too hard on an RF to want to use much.

On and SLR (Olympus OM4ti) I would use the 24 f2 and 85 f2.

75% of my work is shot at 24mm. I use to use 35mm a lot but have steadily gone for the wider/closer look - 28 is neither so I only use that with the Q2.

53 minutes ago, Dennis said:

M10P + 35/2 Cron Asph (no apo)

M10M + 21 SEM

One bag, two cameras w/ two lenses attached. Yes please.

Unbeatable 

Similar thought process for me: 28+50 using two cameras. Changing lenses in uncontrolled environments is no fun for me or the camera :)

Q2M or Q-P
M10-R w/50 Lux or CV 50 APO

Both easily fit side-by-side in the small Leica Combination bag by Billingham.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3