Leica S Image thread

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be interested to know what you have chosen. I was thinking about the tech camera route since I have been using a view camera with film. I decided to go with the S, but a tech camera is still a possibility in the future.

Jesse

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850L using Tapatalk

Last year I shot an ALPA SWA & STC. I knew I wanted movements, but every little screw on an ALPA is just too dear. I went with an Arca-Swiss RM3di & Rodenstock glass - still dithering on a CFV-50c or IQ160 back - I'll make the decision this week.

There was nothing wrong with my S006 or any of the lenses. I couldn't find one to rent so I bought a body and a lens. I'm slow to make up my mind...but decided for my second camera I wanted a tech cam. You can achieve virtually everything that a tech cam can do with a FF 35mm or S if you focus stack and use a nodal plate. I can do that with my D810. But I wanted more of a challenge. And nothing challenges like a tech cam.

I found the long exposure time of 2 minutes on the S was too short. I considered going to a 007 until I looked at the specs and saw it has a 1 minute max exposure. Why does Leica do these things? I've done 30 minute exposures with the D810. I figured when Leica went to a CMOS sensor for the S it would have at least featured longer exposure capabilities.

Anyway, this decision was not based on what others think or believe.

Edited by Photoskeptic
  • Like 2

Last year I shot an ALPA SWA & STC. I knew I wanted movements, but every little screw on an ALPA is just too dear. I went with an Arca-Swiss RM3di & Rodenstock glass - still dithering on a CFV-50c or IQ160 back - I'll make the decision this week.

There was nothing wrong with my S006 or any of the lenses. I couldn't find one to rent so I bought a body and a lens. I'm slow to make up my mind...but decided for my second camera I wanted a tech cam. You can achieve virtually everything that a tech cam can do with a FF 35mm or S if you focus stack and use a nodal plate. I can do that with my D810. But I wanted more of a challenge. And nothing challenges like a tech cam.

I found the long exposure time of 2 minutes on the S was too short. I considered going to a 007 until I looked at the specs and saw it has a 1 minute max exposure. Why does Leica do these things? I've done 30 minute exposures with the D810. I figured when Leica went to a CMOS sensor for the S it would have at least featured longer exposure capabilities.

Anyway, this decision was not based on what others think or believe.

The limitation on long exposure is something I don't understand. I have spoken with the product manager about this. He has heard it from others also. I have not tried focus stacking.

Jesse

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A few more from around Phuket with Leica S120mm and S007

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A few more from around Phuket with Leica S120mm and S007

• Like 9

At the Cotton Festival; Eclectic, Alabama on Saturday - 1929 Nash Special #6 (S006 + Summarit-S 120 CS)

• Like 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

At the Cotton Festival; Eclectic, Alabama on Saturday - 1929 Nash Special #6 (S006 + Summarit-S 120 CS)

Doesn't get much better than that.............well done

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

S30mm

• Like 3

When I bought my S 006 in Wetzlar I was able to get it bundled with the 70mm. 

When I was in the US I did want to try out more lenses, but couldn't afford any more... I did however get a relatively cheap Mamiya Adapter ($150) and even cheaper Mamiya lenses (Adorama used dept.) ... 

Here are a couple with my $25 210mm Mamiya.   I usually don't shoot Tele, nor do I have any experience doing so .. but that's what makes the next few shots a bit special to me.tumblr_ofcyj3BxuH1tfdle0o1_1280.jpgtumblr_ofcyfpJpPv1tfdle0o1_1280.jpgtumblr_ofcyhfVQVT1tfdle0o1_1280.jpg

• Like 4

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Not my "Sunday Best" but they tell a story of what happens just before sunrise in Phuket Thailand and all over Thailand............love this place.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Not my "Sunday Best" but they tell a story of what happens just before sunrise in Phuket Thailand and all over Thailand............love this place.

• Like 1

S 006, 70mm Prague

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

These guys look like they were having a lot of fun 1f642.png

• Like 1

Prague Old Town Square, ~180 degree view

S 006, 30mm Elmarit-S

• Like 4