Leica S Image thread

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Beautiful portraits (I especially like the second one) and model.

I had a look at your website and loved it, well done!

Thank you very much :) Trying to improve. I started taking pictures of people a year or so ago and have a lot to learn .. especially when it comes to fake lighting. I generally stick to natural light, shoot wide open and try to keep it spontaneous and simple ... 

• Like 1

First morning out with the S (Typ 007) after upgrading from an S2-P, and I am loving the increase in dynamic range and higher ISO capability.  (Summarit-S 120 CS at the Seaside Farmer's Market)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

One more from the Farmer's Market.

• Like 4

Spanish Synagogue, Prague

S 006, 30mm Elmarit-S

• Like 5

I took my newly-acquired S (Typ 007) out to Destin Harbor this morning, and I struck up a conversation with this old mariner, who was gracious in allowing me to take his portrait.  To say that I am happy with the files produced by the 007 would be an understatement - I am ecstatic with them!  And the App-Macro-Summarit-S 120 CS is pure joy in its rendering.  If you read any of my postings regarding the fiasco I endured for nine months while waiting for Leica to complete their end of the repair/upgrade deal, then you will recall that I all but gave up on Leica and moved on to a different system.  This is one example of why I stuck it out.  So happy that I did.  Minimal post processing included a slight crop, one spot removal from the shirt, slight sharpening and contrast.

• Like 5

I took my newly-acquired S (Typ 007) out to Destin Harbor this morning, and I struck up a conversation with this old mariner, who was gracious in allowing me to take his portrait.  To say that I am happy with the files produced by the 007 would be an understatement - I am ecstatic with them!  And the App-Macro-Summarit-S 120 CS is pure joy in its rendering.  If you read any of my postings regarding the fiasco I endured for nine months while waiting for Leica to complete their end of the repair/upgrade deal, then you will recall that I all but gave up on Leica and moved on to a different system.  This is one example of why I stuck it out.  So happy that I did.  Minimal post processing included a slight crop, one spot removal from the shirt, slight sharpening and contrast.

What do you mean by slight sharpening? I rarely do any sharpening, except for the Lightroom default of 25. That is on S 006, M9 and now M-P 240, which replaced the M9. I have heard people state that they do quite a lot of sharpening, but I do not understand why. I mask sharpening about 60.

Jesse

What do you mean by slight sharpening? I rarely do any sharpening, except for the Lightroom default of 25. That is on S 006, M9 and now M-P 240, which replaced the M9. I have heard people state that they do quite a lot of sharpening, but I do not understand why. I mask sharpening about 60.

Jesse

Jesse,

I normally would not sharpen a portrait, but in this case I wanted the beard to stand out, and so I nudged the sharpening slider up to something in the neighborhood of 70, increased exposure +0.75, and increased contrast +33.  Here is the image with no adjustments - pretty good, but better with the tweaks, IMO.

Edited by relms

Jesse,

I normally would not sharpen a portrait, but in this case I wanted the beard to stand out, and so I nudged the sharpening slider up to something in the neighborhood of 70, increased exposure +0.75, and increased contrast +33.  Here is the image with no adjustments - pretty good, but better with the tweaks, IMO.

The processed image definitely looks better. With the multiple variables, it is hard to tell the individual effect of sharpening.

Jesse

Old Town Square, Prague

S 006, 30mm Elmarit-S

Prague

S 006 180mm Elmar-S

• Like 1