Add Elmar M 50 or Rigid Summicron to Summilux 50 Asph?

juppmain

Lol Michael, my 11817 did not unscrew.   I have a feeling someone put thread locker on it thinking it wasn't supposed to come apart.  OTOH my 11819 did come unscrewed, and the Leica repair guy did put thread locker on it to keep it from coming apart.

I think, if weight is a concern and you want the images to match your Summilux, an Elmar-M collapsible would be the first choice.

The image quality is impeccable, much better than the older types of Elmar collapsible.

Same two I have + plus a rigid and older Elmar and a `69 Summicron.  The first two see the most use by far.

Hi, 

thank you all for your suggestions.

I think I will go for a Elmar and see if i like the handling of this lens.

You don't buy the 50mm Elmar-M to see if you like the handling.  You buy it because you know you will and because it is a very good lens. I doubt you would be disappointed with it.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 6/8/2015 at 8:24 AM, jaapv said:

I think, if weight is a concern and you want the images to match your Summilux, an Elmar-M collapsible would be the first choice.

The image quality is impeccable, much better than the older types of Elmar collapsible.

This is good for me to know as I am just about to go ahead on an Elmar-M purchase (lens from 1995 in unused condition). If you see this post, can you comment on the wobble problem mentioned here? In your own experience is this common on the  modern '-M' designated versions?

Thank you.

On 6/11/2015 at 1:52 PM, enboe said:

Be sure to look for a case 14522 to go with your film M and Elmar-M combo.  It should come with a matching Leica wrist strap if it is complete.  Makes a nice belt kit.

Very handy info for me (now in 2024!). Just ordered a nice one for £75 though it no longer has the wrist strap; however I don't need the strap for the way I will be working!

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

I own 3 copies of the Elmar 50/2.8 from 1968, 1995 and 2006, the latter  being 6-bit coded. None of them wobble so far. They stay extended much of the time though.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1