35mm Summicron ASPH worth it?

stephengv

However, I notice that the (round) lens shade that came with the lens (part of Safari package) comes off easier than I expected. I can actually pull it off without pinching and with very little effort. Is that normal?

I once had a special edition of the lens which featured the round lens hood.  Less than an hour after I left the shop I was out shooting with it.  I slung the camera over my shoulder, the lens brushed my body and the hood came off, tinkering down the street.  My next visit to the camera store that day was to buy the plastic square hood.

The design of the round hood really feels like an afterthought on an otherwise mechanically sound lens.  Quite disappointing.

Edited by Guest

Any suggestion from someone who tried them both?

Keep in mind that they also have different close focus distances.  0.7m for the Summicron, 0.8m for the Summarit.  Yes, 10cm isn't going to end the world, but then again 0.7m as a close focus distance isn't exactly shattering records... I try to steer away from lenses that have longer close focus distances.

The design of the round hood really feels like an afterthought on an otherwise mechanically sound lens.

The 12504 clip-on hood is much older than your 35/2 asph. It was made for the 2nd version of the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph if memory serves and was used on earlier versions of the Summicron 35 as well so its design must not be far from 50 years old now. 

The 12504 I have spins around but does look great. This slick image is from T. von Overgaard's website:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You're not just parroting digiloyd i'm sure but i would be much interested to see a picture with this magenta cast you're referring to.  Would you have one to share here by chance?

Especially the mechanical stability and minimal intrusion of the old type hood suck...:roll:

I am a bit puzzled btw why it should be a problem that something round can rotate ( not too easily either if you have one that is not worn to the bone).

You're not just parroting digiloyd i'm sure but i would be much interested to see a picture with this magenta cast you're referring to.  Would you have one to share here by chance?

Looks more like the green/magenta slider in ACR needing a slight adjustment to my eyes.

Thank you albertospa. I just see a bit of cyan cast for now but i may be wrong. Would you mind to drop your DNG file in a dropbox? Just curious.

The 12504 clip-on hood is much older than your 35/2 asph. It was made for the 2nd version of the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph if memory serves and was used on earlier versions of the Summicron 35 as well so its design must not be far from 50 years old now. 

Yeah, but Leica won't be breaking any laws improving an older design.

Gentlemen, I'm not a pixel peeper nor do I own a digital camera.  My honestly curious question is: what's technically wrong with these two images?  What am I supposed to be looking for?

Just developed this old snap with Silkypix out of curiosity (M8.2, 35/2 asph) . No color tweaking at all. My usual C1 v8 would perhaps do better but i don't see any red or magenta cast so far and there were none out of C1 v4 either when i shot this pic in 2012. FWIW.

Just developed this old snap with Silkypix out of curiosity (M8.2, 35/2 asph) . No color tweaking at all. My usual C1 v8 would perhaps do better but i don't see any red or magenta cast so far and there were none out of C1 v4 either when i shot this pic in 2012. FWIW.

attachicon.gifL1005353_si_web.jpg

Must be those rose coloured spectacles 

Wilson

• Like 1

I own both 35/2 asph and 35/2 v4 as well and did like the later a lot since the eighties but the 35/2 asph has less flare, less focus shift, is significantly sharper, especially at f/2 and f/2.8, and has no color cast per se in my experience at least. It is just more contrasty such as some colours like red and magenta may look too saturated if one doesn't reduce contrast and/or saturation in PP, especially with raw converters having some overcooked red and/or magenta tones in their default settings. As for bokeh, that of the 35/2 asph is indeed more contrasty such as it is sometimes, but not always, harsher than that of the 35/2 v4 but it is generally smooth at f/2, more so there than that of my 35/1.4 FLE. Besides, the Summarit 35/2.5 is also a contrasty lens with generally smooth bokeh and has somewhat less flare than the 35/2 asph but it is softer in borders and corners at f/4 and below so i use it mainly on crop cameras.

I would also agree with that assessment. The 35/2 asph does have just a hint of pink (or less green) but is easily corrected. It's color contrast is superior to the 34/2 v4, which has other advantages at certain apertures. I use both.   

Edited by a911s

Do you see come color cast in my pic seriously? My laptop is not out hupefully...

No it looks just fine. I was being facetious when I made the comment about rose coloured spectacles.

I do wonder if a batch was made with contaminated glass in one of the elements. Given some of the other howlers that seem to escape out of the factory gate, nothing would surprise me. 

Wilson

• Like 1