I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I just purchased a new Leica M-A and I must admit it is stunning! I got the black chrome version and it looks beautiful. 

I have an issue though. My copy has a crease in the leathette part that surronds the iso dial. It is a near perfect circle that goes around the whole iso dial. It doesnt look bad but it doesnt look right either. I was just wondering if this is normal?? Do you guys have this as well?

Cheers and hope to hear feom u guys soon.

Welcome here Yellow 78,

So M-A can be purchased new, now.

Good news, even if I don't need another one.

Had you some time waiting after order or M-A available from the store ?

Just checked the leather around my M-As, they are as perfect fit as possible.

So, I suggest you ask your Leica dealer if it's normal.

If the crease can be adjusted or just some lack of glue there, that is not big job to fine tune it.

Welcome Yellow-78. It is disappointing you have this problem. Picture for reference? You will not live comfortably with the crease as you call it so get it fixed soonest. As a matter of interest, is the rear film door easily removable as on M2 etc.? 

On 10/28/2018 at 9:00 PM, a.noctilux said:

Welcome here Yellow 78,

So M-A can be purchased new, now.

Good news, even if I don't need another one.

Had you some time waiting after order or M-A available from the store ?

Just checked the leather around my M-As, they are as perfect fit as possible.

So, I suggest you ask your Leica dealer if it's normal.

If the crease can be adjusted or just some lack of glue there, that is not big job to fine tune it.

Thx for the welcome a.noctilux 😁.

No the camera was available already in store but it was brand new and unopened. I didn't have to wait. 

So for both of yours it is flat as possible? Like full on perfect?

I have sent the camera back to Leica store Sydney and they are chasing it up for me atm. They believe it is normal but told me they will email Germany to ask if this is typical. I'm very curious to see what they say as I really don't believe this would be normal. 

If you have time do you mine doing me a favour and posting a clear shot of both of yours? Just so I have proof if they decide to bomb me with the news that this is 'normal'. Thanks for your reply btw!

On 10/28/2018 at 9:26 PM, pedaes said:

Welcome Yellow-78. It is disappointing you have this problem. Picture for reference? You will not live comfortably with the crease as you call it so get it fixed soonest. As a matter of interest, is the rear film door easily removable as on M2 etc.? 

Hi pedaes,

Thank you for the welcome!

I unfortunately can't send a picture as I forgot to take one as I was in a hurry to get it back to them asap. Currently the camera is in Leica  store Sydney. I will update anyway what happens, cheers!

Re: film door I am not so sure!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't noticed a crease in the back door leather of any of the three M-As that I have owned. iPhone photo of one below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Just now, wattsy said:

I haven't noticed a crease in the back door leather of any of the three M-As that I have owned. iPhone photo of one below.

Wow Ian! is it black painted?

2 hours ago, semi-ambivalent said:

Nice catch! Perhaps Leica is listening since production volumes are lower. And it's an MP chassis anyway, right?

I'm confused, are you guys implying that there's a black paint version of the M-A available?  My understanding is that the camera only comes in black or silver chrome and there are no la carte options for the M-A like there are for the M-P (oddly).

Edited by logan2z

3 hours ago, logan2z said:

I'm confused, are you guys implying that there's a black paint version of the M-A available?  My understanding is that the camera only comes in black or silver chrome and there are no la carte options for the M-A like there are for the M-P (oddly).

You are correct, silver chrome and black chrome. And I have email from Leica stating the M-A "is not part of the a la carte program", but that was true up until it was typed. After that Leica does what it wants.

But look at the finish around the flash socket, by the "AR" in "Wetzlar". I've never seen a black chrome Leica, ever, but if I've seen one image I've seen a thousand and black chrome has always looked much much smoother and more matte than what I see there. wattsy will settle it if he cares to; I'm still hoping Leica has seen the light here. Want customers? Go get them. That said the M-A I have on order from Tamarkin will remain silver chrome.

PS - MP. M-P is a digital model.

Edited by semi-ambivalent

I posted the above photo to illustrate the rear door leather not to spark off speculation. Just to clarify, this M-A was obtained via a private arrangement and not through the à la carte programme. I've also owned it for three years so it is not indicative of anything coming down the pipe.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, a.noctilux said:

Pedaes,

The back door can be removed, not as easily as on M2/M3/M4.

On M-A's door, since M6 the chrome "small lever" to push to unmount is replaced by sort of "tiny screw" to be pushed by " x " screw driver.

For first time, out of curiosity, I unmount the back door of M-A and saw that it was the same as other M's doors.

So I took my very old friend M5 that I didn't use for years and swapped foolishly the two back doors ( more than 40 years built apart each other ! ).

My surprise was they are compatible 😎,

even in M-A body a place for the "small lever" of the M5's door

the base plates fit well with these swapped doors 👍

Don't know if they are light tight, as I didn't take real live pictures with them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, wattsy said:

I posted the above photo to illustrate the rear door leather not to spark off speculation. Just to clarify, this M-A was obtained via a private arrangement and not through the à la carte programme. I've also owned it for three years so it is not indicative of anything coming down the pipe.

Dibs :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wattsy said:

Hi Wattsy, thanks for the picture!

I guess all I can do is head to Leica store when they get word from Germany what the deal is with my copy. Thanks for the replies guys will keep you guys updated with what happens, cheers!

If there is a visible ridge as you describe, you are not being picky, and don’t take any crap from a Leica retailer who might suggest the same.

We pay over the odds for Leica in Australia, and you are perfectly entitled to expect your camera to be free of cosmetic defects.  If you are not happy, insist on a replacement. We are well protected by Australian Consumer Law to that effect. There is a test for acceptable quality under ACL that references appearance and finish, and takes into account matters including the nature of the goods and the price paid.  A very high priced good should therefore be expected to meet a high standard of appearance and finish.

2 hours ago, Yellow_78 said:

Also,

If anyone else is able to upload any pictures of the back of their M-A showing the leatherette surrounding the dial, that would be awesome! It will help me convince the Leica sales people I'm not just being picky!

Cheers guys!

It might also help you if you upload an image of the back of your camera.