I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just picked up a black MA from the Sydney Leica store after putting a few rolls of film through my M4-P and being reminded how enjoyable photography is in stable light when you take a meter reading, set your exposure and then it’s just you, a clean viewfinder and composition.

I have also been pleasantly surprised to discover that camera stores in Sydney seem to be stocking film again, as young people are exploring analogue experiences.

I figured the MA will be the last new film camera I buy, takes all my great M glass and that I would regret not buying one if Leica discontinue them at some point.

I’ll be putting my first roll of film through the MA this weekend.

Edited by Alistairm
  • Like 8

as young people are exploring analogue experiences.

I doubt whether this is the reason. I photograph since 1983. I discern in my evolution of 10 years of digital photography that I get bored with the digital workflow. I actually don’t like sitting behind a desktop, I do that at my work already too much. The ease of producing images contributes to a sort of nonchalance when making the photograph, it makes me uncritical and does not contribute to getting everything out of the medium. With film, you have that unconscious or conscious awareness that it lasts 36 exposures, or 12 in MF, or 4 in LF (4 sheets is good for one developing process in my workflow), so you have to take care not to spoil captures.

If this is my evolution and evaluation in 10 years, I doubt whether I’m the only one and if analogue isn’t coming back stronger in the next 5 years

• Like 7

I have just picked up a black MA from the Sydney Leica store after putting a few rolls of film through my M4-P and being reminded how enjoyable photography is in stable light when you take a meter reading, set your exposure and then it’s just you, a clean viewfinder and composition.

I have also been pleasantly surprised to discover that camera stores in Sydney seem to be stocking film again, as young people are exploring analogue experiences.

I figured the MA will be the last new film camera I buy, takes all my great M glass and that I would regret not buying one if Leica discontinue them at some point.

I’ll be putting my first roll of film through the MA this weekend.

Welcome to M-A 's club.

I think that M-A may be the LAST release analog/film M forever.

It's just foolish for Leica to offer that by now.

The market is so tiny for this "1950's creation/concept" and so many thousands second hand and capable Ms in the market ( M3, M2, M4 and so on...) for M lovers.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Silver M-A with 35mm summicron iv. Love it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by maate
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Gorgeous in silver.

I’ve put a few rolls through my black MA this week. I sold my Monochrom a while back because I liked the M10’s form factor so much more that I thought I’d move it while prices were strong and pick up an MM10 in due course... but I think I am delighted with the MA as my monochrome camera... it is just pure mechanical delight. And I’m sure it will get some colour film through it at some point soon too.

Edited by Alistairm
  • Like 9

Gorgeous in silver.

I’ve put a few rolls through my black MA this week. I sold my Monochrom a while back because I liked the M10’s form factor so much more that I thought I’d move it while prices were strong and pick up an MM10 in due course... but I think I am delighted with the MA as my monochrome camera... it is just pure mechanical delight. And I’m sure it will get some colour film through it at some point soon too.

Yes, digital is dead. People found the pictures boring, and it turned out that sharper-than-the-eye resolution was a passing gimmick anyway. Stick with the M-A!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Yes, digital is dead. People found the pictures boring, and it turned out that sharper-than-the-eye resolution was a passing gimmick anyway. Stick with the M-A!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Hehe... maybe not dead. But film is certainly alive.

There are some wonderful digital images, but I do think the “high dynamic range” style of photography where modern sensors are used to suck all shadows out of every photo and make them look like a product shot is finally starting to bore people.

• Like 9

what a fantastic machine!

love mine even more than MP!

I have read that the M-A still has the hole in the body which the MP needs for the battery. They say the whole is only covered by . „vulcanite“, so you don‘t see it.

If this was true, the M-A would be an MP - only without the battery and some functions the battery empowers for the MP.

Can anybody tell me whether this is true?

I have read that the M-A still has the hole in the body which the MP needs for the battery. They say the whole is only covered by . „vulcanite“, so you don‘t see it.

If this was true, the M-A would be an MP - only without the battery and some functions the battery empowers for the MP.

For me M-A is NOT MP with battery removed.

I don't know for the battery hole recovered or not only by vulcanite.

When I push at that "MP battery" place, it's hard so I think that must be hard-covered.

The back door and body have no visible electrical connections.

The M-A has all electronic (of MP) removed.

The finder mask has no cut out for LED...

The VF has no silvering (for LED in MP).

Shutter release has no first stage for meter to turn on.

etc.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 6

Silver M-A with 35mm summicron iv. Love it!

post-48797-0-73650500-1519246095.jpg

maate

:o

Only two numbers are different from mine !

And wait same two final numbers ;)

Here image posted years ago :

Extract from post #40 of this thread ...

post-69230-14286973160024.jpg

• Like 4

The hole, if it's there, is obviously not covered only with "vulcanite". That would be ridiculous and result in a weak point in the body that could be punctured by any sharp point or errant finger. The M-A is most likely like the MP Classic body which, as far as I know, has the hole filled in with a neatly welded metal plate. In fact, the M-A also uses the same frame masks as the MP Classic so I wouldn't be surprised if the M-A 'development' led directly from spare parts left over from the MP Classic. The latter was originally a 500 unit limited edition but it may have been that Leica had plans to release that camera more widely and acquired a whole host of necessary parts that have since found themselves used in the M-A.

• Like 4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For me M-A is NOT MP with battery removed.

I don't know for the battery hole recovered or not only by vulcanite.

When I push at that "MP battery" place, it's hard so I think that must be hard-covered.

The back door and body have no visible electrical connections.

The M-A has all electronic (of MP) removed.

The finder mask has no cut out for LED...

The VF has no silvering (for LED in MP).

Shutter release has no first stage for meter to turn on.

etc.

This has already been discussed in another link on the forum here.

Leica have put a brass plate over the battery opening exactly like the Classic edition shown.

As a stickler for detail, I personally would not buy it for that reason - but that does not mean it is not a great camera.

• Like 4

Really? How strange.

All this means is that the M-A uses the MP chasis, but there the similarity ends. It would make a difference if the chasis didn’t havt the battery hole covered, but was machined without the hole from scratch? As it’s covered by vulcanite or leather, what possible difference does it make?

I knew this when I negotiated the trade with my dead M9.