new Summilux 35mm [ Merged ]

RoRoRoPa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do the other recent screw in rect. hoods work?

I would guess one way to do it is what Konica did with the M-Hexanon 28/2.8 hood, which is to screw in, then to allow the hood to rotate, preferably with some tension.

The 24 lux is both rectangular and screw in. I think the 21 lux is as well, but am not sure of this. It must be a pain for Leica to make such lenses so that the hood is square with the body rather than tilted one way or the other.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"How do the other recent screw in rect. hoods work?"

Umm - see post #39? Just two above yours?

@pgk: There are lots of ways to frame with non-SLR, non-LCD cameras underwater. A few are pictured here (sports finders, wire frame finders): http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32890

The Nikonos was, of course, originally the "Calypso": http://www.cameraquest.com/calypso.htm designed in part by Jacques Cousteau and named for his ship. Cousteau seems to have though a viewfinder camera not unlike the Leica M was a good basis for an underwater photo system. I've always assumed Cousteau knew something about underwater exploration and photography, but perhaps you disagree....

Edited by adan

Thanks!

I see that they have one method to index the hood in a proper orientation, and another that just stops the overtightening or over-rotation of the threads so when tightened it will always be square.

My question is which method the new lens uses.

The M-Hexanon 28/2.8 hood solves both issues, as time goes on and threads tighten more, it doesn't affect the position of the hood, which rotates independently of the threaded portion.

"How do the other recent screw in rect. hoods work?"

Umm - see post #39? Just two above yours?

@pgk: There are lots of ways to frame with non-SLR, non-LCD cameras underwater. A few are pictured here (sports finders, wire frame finders): Nikonos V for sale. Spare parts or collectors - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

The Nikonos was, of course, originally the "Calypso": Nikon Calypso designed in part by Jacques Cousteau and named for his ship. Cousteau seems to have though a viewfinder camera not unlike the Leica M was a good basis for an underwater photo system. I've always assumed Cousteau knew something about underwater exploration and photography, but perhaps you disagree....

@pgk: There are lots of ways to frame with non-SLR, non-LCD cameras underwater. A few are pictured here (sports finders, wire frame finders): Nikonos V for sale. Spare parts or collectors - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

The Nikonos was, of course, originally the "Calypso": Nikon Calypso designed in part by Jacques Cousteau and named for his ship. Cousteau seems to have thought a viewfinder camera not unlike the Leica M was a good basis for an underwater photo system. I've always assumed Cousteau knew something about underwater exploration and photography, but perhaps you disagree....

Adan

Next month the RPS Journal is running an article which I have written about the Calypsophot and Nikonos system in which I detail some of the Leica characteristics of the camera (possibly more than you might think - as you rightly say it was not unlike a Leica in many ways;)). However the viewfinder was utterly useless underwater then and remained pretty pointless underwater until the demise of the Nik 5, but it was used above water often enough. I've used most Nikonos models with various finders over the last (nearly 30 years) and to be honest, whilst the worked in their time (few alternatives) they were far from easy, accurate or user friendly. The idea of an M in a housing for today's market is simply pointless, we've moved on (I now used a 5D2 underwater and actually sell housings for them). A digital M underwater would be a very expensive way of producing, at best, very mediocre results.

I own a Calypsophot and its a beautifully thought out piece of innovative engineering. I would love to get it running again but whether I'd risk using it underwater 50 years after it was produced is something else. Cousteau seems to have kept the history of the Calypso well shrouded and I can't find out why he sold the rights to Nikon - it proved to be a very effective design. He was though, a good businessman:).

My point was really that the website looks iffy to me simply because I cannot believe that Leica would support such a product as the housing shown!

As to the site, you may be right. I can't see anything but the 35 ASPH .pdf at this point. HugyFot made a Digilux 2 UW housing Leica Digilux 2, but I can't see Leica themselves wading (so to speak) into that specialized market.

I think the new 35 is real, though - too may other sources that have leaked that are very consistent as to the look and specs.

I agree that, especially from a handling and framing aspect, there are now better ways to shoot underwater than a viewfinder camera. Even Sea&Sea has abandoned the box viewfinder for LCDs, although some still seem to be in use: Underseas Scuba Center

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.... Do those hoods click in the right position?

Don't forget WATE, whose hood is also rectangular screw-in.

Used to 'click' at end stop, doesn't any longer. Probably needs replacement O-ring.

Ah, I see Andy has already added it to the list. :)

Edited by ho_co

This is the end of a very long era. Sad day for everyone if they have compromised the use of the lens on most of their cameras. That's what's being implied here.

Andy I read that as quite the opposite. The design is more difficult and exacting for sensor rather than film (and importantly for a 24x36 sensor in an M). I suspect that they are referring to design decisions to reduce focus shift which is a known property of the older lens design. Did you notice that they have employed the second helical to accommodate the floating element for better close performance? Not using that approach was one compromise with the Elmar 24, for example.

I see this one as another cutting edge design upgrade, like the last two new Summiluxes. Not any kind of compromise at all.

Personally I'm in love already and waiting for an official announcement so that my order can be placed. Here we go again :)

Hoppyman, I'm with you and Lars. I'm holding the #1 spot with my dealer for this lens and I believe this is going to be an amazing lens on the M9.

M9 + 35 Lux = Nirvana

By the way, I met Chris Weeks today and he said to say hello to everyone here. :p

New source for the "rumours" here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/123465-new-35-lux.html#post1308741

Or is it just a translation from Ukranian into Spanish?

BTW: The different threads in different parts of the forum about a possible new lens could be a reason to reconsider the decision for not having a lens section...

The PDF was probably taken down because it contained dealer prices.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this lens. Order now for Christmas...?

This is merely a page from Apple's Playbook. Next, Leica will be leaving one of these lenses, oddly cloaked in a bulky skin, on a store counter by mistake. Gizmodo will display it proudly.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to my dealer today about getting the 35-Cron for my M9. He told me to wait for the 35-Lux. When I questioned him about the if/when he stated that, "Oh no, it isn't if." He said he has held it, had on a camera, and taken pictures with it. He told me to hang on and he let me go without selling me the 35-Cron I called about! Come on guys, it has to be close. I would bet that Chris Weeks has already shot with it.

My dealer had a visit from Leica two days ago. This is the conversation as it was related to me, and as I remember it:

"Dealer: And what about the new 35 Summilux?

Leica-guy: You can't order it yet.

Dealer: Can you tell me then when I can order it, because I have one customer here waiting for it?

Leica-guy: O.K."

That is as close you can come to saying "it will be announced soon" without actually pronouncing the words. My guess is that there has been a production hangup (not necessarily of a technical nature, Leica must have their hands full getting some lenses out for the S2) and that an official launching is possible already before Photokina. If the insight has at last hit Leica Camera that you should have a batch of the item ready for delivery when the announcement is made, it is all for the good.

The old man from the Age of the Old Style Camera Shop

I would read that differently, Lars.

The rep will tell the dealer when he can. Could be next week. Could be next year.

Don't hold your breath on this one.

Indeed... that "O.K." without any other word is a bit vague... unless the dealer had not quoted the following magic words... :) "O.K.... we'll accept orders from xx/xx/2010 ... but please don't make this public..." ;)

Given lens production is backed up with some of the most popular lenses completely unavailable, it would make sense for Leica to delay the launch of the lens until Photokina to add to whatever else they have planned for us. No point creating demand if you cannot meet it.