M9 FW v1.116 available...

mby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just downloaded and updated the camera.

First impressions:

Image preview zooms much faster.

Card formatting is much faster, no comparison to previously.

Took a couple of shots with the C/V 12mm unfortunately early evening here, my initial impression is that red corners are significantly reduced. I never really had an issue with my WATE so haven't tested this one yet.

Will run a few more shots tomorrow morning and report back.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Ian!

I'm looking forward to buy a CV15 later, hope it would work no problem with the new fw...

Considering it isn't a Leica design, and the firmware applies lens-specific corrections, you might get close but I doubt you'll have 'no problem' unfortunately.

I am new to posting to the Forum, but have been reading it for some time both before and after I received my M9. I have also owned an M8 for several years before purchasing my M9, and have downloaded successfully the firmware updates to the M8.

I just downloaded the directions and the firmware zipped file for the M9, followed the directions exactly (same procedure as updating the firmware on my M8), and tried to install the firmware update into my camera. After turning on the camera, I do not get any prompt at all.

The memory card is recognized by the camera (I have been using it for a couple of months for images), the firmware file is the only file on the memory card (m9-1_116.upd upd file 5,272kb), but still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Dennis

I had been told by one of the Leica product guys that the new firmware would enable the M9 to take more photos on burst mode before it locks up. So it used to take about 7 or so (assuming 18mb dng and fine jpeg) and he thought it might go to about 10. Anyone see any difference in this respect. Unfortunately, I will not be able to dowload and test for a day or so. thx.

I am new to posting to the Forum, but have been reading it for some time both before and after I received my M9. I have also owned an M8 for several years before purchasing my M9, and have downloaded successfully the firmware updates to the M8.

I just downloaded the directions and the firmware zipped file for the M9, followed the directions exactly (same procedure as updating the firmware on my M8), and tried to install the firmware update into my camera. After turning on the camera, I do not get any prompt at all.

The memory card is recognized by the camera (I have been using it for a couple of months for images), the firmware file is the only file on the memory card (m9-1_116.upd upd file 5,272kb), but still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Dennis

Dennis, please check your battery, it's best to do firmware updates with a full battery !

Kind regards.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any suggestions?

Dennis

It sounds like the camera doesn't recognize your SD card. I assumed the card you used is 8GB or larger? Try a card of smaller capacity and the camera should recognize it then you can update the firmware. I kept (both SD and CF) cards of small capacity for frimware updates. After the firmware update you need to scroll down the menu at least one cycle for the camera to recognize the larger cards.

I had been told by one of the Leica product guys that the new firmware would enable the M9 to take more photos on burst mode before it locks up. So it used to take about 7 or so (assuming 18mb dng and fine jpeg) and he thought it might go to about 10. Anyone see any difference in this respect. Unfortunately, I will not be able to dowload and test for a day or so. thx.

Nope, still 7 for me.

Ok successfully updated, everything seems fine, yes the format speed is greatly improved, and the lockup problem if you shoot with lens-cap on then flick it off (I've stopped doing that and just change the shutter dial) is fixed. Although, if you try turning it back on immediately it won't do anything and requires another restart.

I also notice it is slower to turn off in review mode now, not really a problem though.

Thanks Ian!

I'm looking forward to buy a CV15 later, hope it would work no problem with the new fw...

HIGHLY unlikely. The firmware fix is for the Leica lenses, none of which have ever shown anything as remotely as bad as the CV15. I have a feeling that we will never see that lens working well on the M9 without the use of CornerFix.

I've sold mine, so I can't verify, but I am sure we will see something from someone soon. I will check out my CV12 and see if its improved.

Jeff

"Zooming" is M8-style - still a small delay IF you start to zoom immediately after switching to a different frame. But once the image jumps slightly as the hi-res is loaded in the background, then zooming is fast. Good fix.

Off-the-cuff tests shots seem to show the asymmetric red edge with my pre-ASPH 21 is still there. But Leica never said they were improving corrections for older wides. Will have to get hold of a 21 ASPH to compare - I may just have a personal centering problem (sensor or lens).

15mm C/V - no improvement.

So I don't think Leica made a "global" fix to corrections, except for the changes with ISO, but rather changes to individual look-up tables for the 5 current wides mentioned in the upgrade documentation.

HIGHLY unlikely. The firmware fix is for the Leica lenses, none of which have ever shown anything as remotely as bad as the CV15. I have a feeling that we will never see that lens working well on the M9 without the use of CornerFix.

I've sold mine, so I can't verify, but I am sure we will see something from someone soon. I will check out my CV12 and see if its improved.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Have you tried to code the CV15/CV12 as a WATE ? Don't know if that would work:confused:

Edited by dong_allen