Best digital camera for Leica r lenses

Joecamera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Joe,

I use a Canon 5D MkII with my R lenses and it's an excellent combination because of Live View. I didn't appreciate the power of Live View until I bought the camera but it comes into it's own for focusing Leica R lenses. Since the camera can't control the lens's diaphragm it is necessary to use the 'stop down' focussing technique where you manually set your focus with lens wide open and stop down to your chosen aperture, as an automatic camera would do for you. (It is difficult to focus when stopped down because the image is dark in the viewfinder.)

Live View helps by projecting the the view through the lens onto the LCD screen on the rear of the camera and compensates the screen's luminance when the lens is stopped down. But the biggest advantage with Live View is that you can zoom in to the picture on teh PCD screen by 10 times and nail focus beyond doubt.

Live view is not to everyone's taste and is not necessarily the best method for all subjects but for macro shots and pretty much any shot where you can take your time it will perform superbly.

I use a CameraQuest adaptor (non-focus confirming) that is beautifully machined and happily stays on the camera while I change lenses.

Pete.

I totally agree. And for the 5d is a splitscreen available:

Canon 5D split image focusing screen

• 2 weeks later...

DMR + R9 if you can find /afford one and are will to chance on its repairability. They already can not replace sensors. I would not consider this, but it will give the best images.

Second choice if you do not want to modify the lenses is Canon. You lose auto diaphragn.

I like my Nikons and would put the Leitax mounts on the lenses for use on the Nikon.

Auto diaphragm/focus is gone. Add a Katz Eye focus screen. You can change back to Leica R mount, but it is a home, not field , change out.

Unless you have Leica APO lenses, the Nikon lenses are as good on the digital cameras and the latest are very good. It is time to move on.

My solution was to get a D700 Nikon and Ai or AiS lenses. They are reltively cheap compared to Leica and they meter in Aperture priority and manual and auto diaphragm is retained. Get a Katz Eye Focus screen. Until Leica comes up with a solution, this is the best option in my opinion.

Small sensor cameras turn all the Leica lenses into lenses 2x the focal length, ie a 25 becomes a 50 angle of view. I consider this the worst option.

Leica is talking about an electronic viewfinder solution which I have no desire to own. Maybe they will have a pellicale mirror solution. They are not talking.

The last option is a concumer grade camera and wait, Even my old D200 Nikon or the new D5000 will give better prints than the R5 with film. A D90 and zoom will get you going for $1200 and you will be amazed.

At ISO 100, even the D200 makes better prints than I got with Hasselblad.

Digi cams have an AA softening filter built in that sort of levels lens quality so I can`t see staying with Leica. The DMR does not have it, and neither does the M8. When I tested the M8 against the Nikon D200, the M8 was sharper and had better color, but most of this could be modified in photoshop to make them almost equal.

I also put my Visoflex lenses on my Nikon D700 with an adapter. Again they do not jump as being better than Nikon like they do on film. Digi is a great leveler. In some cases, Nikon lenses are better and they are never far worse.

I converted my R-lenses with a Leitax bayonet. It's easy to do and fully reversible. This way I can use them on a Nikon (D3) and the results are great. The "best" option is always the option you do not have, but this combo works great for me and I can highly recommend it.

My R9 and DMR was stolen a year ago and I have a lot of Leica R lenses that I inherited from my grand father. I looked around and while in the UK last month I replaced my R9 and DMR on 22 Feb. mint condition.

You will not be sorry if you get your hands on either a R8 or R9 and a used DMR. superb quality and great to use. Works well with your lenses. No adapters.

All I can say further it is a Leica after all! :D

Joe,

You probably have enough info here to make your head spin. Here are a couple of shots with a 90mm Elmarit on a Canon 5D Mark II (Seagull) and a Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i. I especially like the Elmarit on the 5D Mark II (I sold the Digital Rebel).

Let us know what you decide? I hope this helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...I think we will get a wonderful surprise this year in the form of a digital R solution that is supported by Leica.:D

Would be great for sure but i don't hold my breath personally. The last Leica 'solution' was the Digilux 3 if memory serves so i fear the next one will be a PanaLeica G2 sort of. Just a guess though.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently acquired the Olympus E-3 and found it's in-body stabilizer works wonderfully with R lens, it's viewfinder is also a lot brighter than what you see in Digilux 3 so focusing is much easier on the Oly.

However it's IQ is still far stretch from DMR, my R8/DMR combo is still the best R lens solution at the moment, and I'm looking around for a mint R9 as my next upgrade.

Speaking of digital R solution from Leica, any more updates on this matter?

I couldn`t hold my breathe so I just bought a R9 (to replace my R8) for the DMR, as well as X1 just for parties and dinner occasions.

Can`t wait for the official announcement from Leica on digital R solution! It`d better be a full frame this time around :)

Speaking of digital R solution from Leica, any more updates on this matter?

I was told last week by a very good source that Leica will announce the R solution shortly (sometime in 2010)

Ken.