Best digital camera for Leica r lenses

Joecamera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks Doug. Those images seem very nice and of high IQ.

So far I have not run with any of my R lenses into problems with the A7R.

I am just curious. Are you considering getting an A7/R? Thanks.

I am really amazed by the high image quality and excellent colors the Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2 produces on the A7R!

I have posted a few OOC JPGs here. A7r - and why I'm keeping it ... - Page 2 - The GetDPI Photography Forums

Many thanks Doug. Those images seem very nice and of high IQ.

So far I have not run with any of my R lenses into problems with the A7R.

I am just curious. Are you considering getting an A7/R?

If the DMR were to become inoperable and unrepairable today either the a7 or the a7r would be the first camera I'd consider. I'd have to see with my own eyes and with my own subjects how responsive the camera and viewfinder are and how my subjects respond to the sound of the shutter.

Aside from the responsiveness and sound questions these are the first R-solution cameras that I've been enthusiastic about. If these questions are resolved adequately it's likely that I'll buy one (or an a9r) once used models become readily available.

• Like 1

It's a bit difficult to find it again from that thread... :o

But since the widest lens I will use is 19 F2.8, that made me worried a bit... So is the problem only occurred to wide-angle M lens?

I don't know but logic suggests that it will be more of a problem with M lenses because of their inherently short 28.7 mm register (the distance between the rear element and the film or sensor plane), which means oblique rays from wide angle lenses may cause fall off in the form of vignetting and colour shifts. I believe the R register is more like 45 mm (someone will correct me if I'm mistaken:)) so the rays from the edges of wide angle lenses will strike the sensor at a less oblique angle.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to hear from a Sony A7 or A7R users on how does focusing manually compare to focusing a Leica R9? Is the EVF as accurate and easy to focus as an R9 body?

Don't have R9 experience, sorry, but I got much better hit rates with the M240 than with the a7R on both wide and long lenses. There numerous posts on the a7R thread about this which might help you.

• Like 2

I don't know but logic suggests that it will be more of a problem with M lenses because of their inherently short 28.7 mm register (the distance between the rear element and the film or sensor plane), which means oblique rays from wide angle lenses may cause fall off in the form of vignetting and colour shifts. I believe the R register is more like 45 mm (someone will correct me if I'm mistaken:)) so the rays from the edges of wide angle lenses will strike the sensor at a less oblique angle.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

47 mm. Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like 1

Pete.

I was reading the Wiki site... So by it means if I have a Nikon Ai-S 20mm F2.8 installed on Nikon D800 v.s. Leica R 19mm Elmarit installed on Sony A7R, the Nikon lens would give me more vignetting and colour shifts since Leica is 0.5mm longer in Flange focal distance than Nikon F, providing if there is no software correction made on both cameras?

I was reading the Wiki site... So by it means if I have a Nikon Ai-S 20mm F2.8 installed on Nikon D800 v.s. Leica R 19mm Elmarit installed on Sony A7R, the Nikon lens would give me more vignetting and colour shifts since Leica is 0.5mm longer in Flange focal distance than Nikon F, providing if there is no software correction made on both cameras?

No, I doubt that you'd see any difference in vignetting etc as a result of a 0.5 mm longer register over about 47 mm; the problem occurs with the much shorter M register that I've mentioned above.

Pete.

As far as vignetting is concerned the mount register distance doesn't matter. What matters is the exit pupil distance, an optical property of the lens. Reflex lenses such as the Ai-S 20mm F2.8 or the Leica R 19mm Elmarit must have a long enough exit pupil distance that the rear element clears the camera's mirror. Not so for an M lens, which was not designed with a mirror clearance constraint.

The mount register distance matters when you want to make an adapter to fit a lens to a camera it wasn't originally designed for. If the mount register for the lens is longer than the mount register for the camera (as it is with most interchangeable lenses and the E bodies) one can make an adapter so that the lens will physically fit and still focus to infinty. Aside from infinity focus this has nothing to do with the performance of the lens on the body.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Any advice would be appreciated! Here is the question, but first... I have 4 Leica R lenses,

a 35 Summicron, a 50 Summilux, a 90 Summicron, and a 180 f2.8, all pristine and immaculate glass. I presently use an R5 and shoot slides, but would like a digital body to use these lenses on as well. I hear and read much about a host of adapters, or changing mounts on lenses, this thing called 4/3rds, and on and on and on..... Most of what I read is to use a Canon DSLR with an adapter. What combination works the best?????

I understand that the new M 240 can use all the R lenses with a Leica adapter. It will cost you though.:)

I have several R lenses 35-70mm, 21-35mm, 28-90mm, 50mm, 90mm, 180mm, and the 80-200mm plus

Several R cameras as well as a Leicaflex SL now retired and sits handsomely in my glass cabinet.

The DMR was a terrific idea, but now days hard to find and it's future serviceing is questionable.

So for me the best option was Canon, as I don't have to change the mount, just use a good quality adapter

Will do the job.

Good luck on your choice.

Ken.

Ken, the Canon solution requires stop down metering, does it not?

I keep getting tempted to fully extend my Lux 80mm 1.4 and Vario 70-180 Elmarit with a digital body but keep shooting my R8 with film. :cool:

Decisions, decisions.

Hello Erl.

Unfortunately stepping down is correct, I am used to it and in some cases an advantage especially in low light as you can adjust the aperture whils't in live view untill I am happy with the exposure, then back to viewfinder focus and fire, otherwise I leave it around 5.6 set to aperture mode and just fire away.

It's not perfect but personally there is no option unless Dear Leica has a change of heart and finally release the R10.

I would have loved a full frame but the lens shroud on my 21-35 and the 28-90 prevents using these lenses on the 5D-3 or 6D without hitting the mirror.

Last year I bought the Canon 600D for around 800$ as a trial to take with me to Europe and I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance I have now added the 70D as I was very impressed with it, and it only cost me 1300$.

Campared to Leica's pricing thats cheap.

Some shots I took with the 600D and the 21-35mm ( crop factor= 33-56mm) last year in the UK, a couple of them where posted on the photo forum.

I didn't want to buy the Canon, but unfortunately Leica forced me to do so, personally I don't think the Leica M is a very good solution to us R users.

I still love shooting film with my R and M cameras as it's still is my primary photographic medium, Digital is secondary, so why in heaven do I need to spend thousands on a Leica Digital body, I rather spend it on

lenses.

Good luck

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks Hamey. You have just fired up my lust all over again! $1000+ is attractive and I can keep using my M8 (beautiful camera) whenever.

Trouble at this time of year, there is so little happening that my boredom leads me astray. :eek:

P.S. That looks like some banquet prep you photographed. Hope you got an invite.;)

Ken, the fact that full frame Canons were incompatible with several of my Leica lenses (including the two zooms you mention) and the fact that full frame was important for me, plus the metering problems (some people claim inaccuracies even when using stopped down metering though I don't know if this is true) and uncertainties with regard to being able to focus easily, all these things sadly put the kybosh on the Canon solution for me. I know the Leica M is not a perfect solution either, but it's the one I've decided to go for. All I need now is the Leica R-M adapter! I'm glad that Canon works for you photographic style. As you imply, and R10 would have been nice!

Unfortunately no Erl, my dear wife and I went to a lovely inn for our meal.

John.

I found the 600D is excellent with manual lens metering, however not the 70D, what I have found is whenever you stepdown on the aperture it overexposes, however in live view it's perfect.

So I need to make more experimation on it.

As for the focusing, the 600D wasn't that great the viewfinder is small, but the 70D is very good, of course not on par with Leica.

Swinging back and forth between a Leica film cameras and Canon is certainly differant, In my hands the R8/9 gives me the feel of security and accomplishment, the Canon is a very nice friend.

So for me, untill a better alternative comes along, I will continue with the status quo.

Ken.

• Like 2

The best must only include adaptable full frame bodies and not mount changes , Leitax.

That is unless you are giving up the R5,

Diaphragm automation is gone of course for all solutions including leica M.

DMR is an old has been in my opinion with repair and battery issues.

Start again with a digi system.